October 25, 2020, 06:12:23 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 42307 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #450 on: September 25, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
https://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/engl_258/lecture%20notes/capitalism%20etc%20defined.htm

One day, Gauss told his graduate student Riemann that Riemann would be giving the math seminar next friday, and offered him a few topics from which to choose. One of the topics, the one Riemann chose, was curved spaces. Gauss was very interested in curved spaces and had already worked out the math of curved 2-dimensional surfaces, like the surface of a ball. But Gauss was a catholic and he was very away of what happened to catholics who got on the wrong side of the church - like Gallileo - so he didn't want to work on curved spaces in higher dimensions. Riemann, a german, was a lutheran and didn't give a carp about no stinkin' pope. Riemann also didn't give a carp about geometry, but when you're a grad student you're an indentured servant, so he dutifully worked out the calculus of curved spaces over the course of the next week, wrote a paper, delivered it at the friday math seminar, then completely forgot about it for the rest of his life. Riemann called his math "metric differential geometry." There's a mathematical object, a tensor, called "the metric;" it's used to calculate the distance between points. The simplest metric is for a flat plane, and it's the pythagorean theorem, d2 = a2 + b2.

50ish years later Einstein was working on his theory of gravity - General Relativity - and was stuck. A close friend of his, Marcel Grossmann, told him that Riemann had already worked out all of that and he should just read Riemann's paper. It took Einstein five years to understand Riemann's paper, a paper which Riemann spent one week developing and writing. This is what Einstein was talking about when he said, “Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.” (Without any trouble you can find opinions on the internet that no one understands what Einstein was talking about with that quote. Physicists who knew him all know.) The field equation for gravity - the equation for General Relativity - is Rμν - gμνR = 8 pi Tμν. Rμν is the Riemann tensor; R is the Riemann scalar; gμν is the metric; and Tμν is the stress-energy tensor. At low velocities, less than 1% speed of light or so, Tμν is just mass and the equation turns into Newton's equation for gravity.

Where I went to school economics is done using metric differential geometry. And I took a bunch of it.

But thanks so much for sending me a web page by some unnamed person with a clear political agenda who has a bumper-sticker definition of capitalism.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:16:48 PM by marklawrence »
These are the nine people whose votes will determine our next president. Your vote means nothing.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
University of Idaho. And not believing everything you read on the 'net is a very good policy. Including people who believe "Where We Go One, We Go All."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:39:20 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #452 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »
Crimson Tide - 1995 ‧

Gene Hackman, Denzel Washington, Viggo Mortensen

Gene is the captain of a boomer, a nuclear missile sub, the Alabama. 24 nuclear missiles, 10 warheads each. "Don't cross the beams. It would be bad." Denzel is his brand shiny new XO. A russian starts a rebellion, gains control of a russian missile site, and starts fueling his missiles. In 1 hour he can launch. The alabama gets orders to do a pre-emptive nuclear strike. Very odd, 'cause the boomers are insurance, not first-strike weapons. Their purpose is "kill us all, every last man, woman, child, doggie - later the boomers take you out."

Then they mix it up with a russian attack sub and get damaged. Importantly they have exactly one radio, no spares, no repair pieces, and it gets damaged right in the middle of receiving a transmission that might say "changed our minds, stand down." Gene is determined to launch, Denzel is determined to get the radio fixed and confirm orders before they end all life on the earth. Mutiny, counter-mutiny, 45s and 9mms all over the place. Apparently they didn't hear Sean Connery say, "Careful, Ryan. Shome things in here don't mix well with bullets." Timers are counting down on the russian missiles, tempers flaring, oh the suspense. . . .  'cause this is how it works, nuclear missiles can just go flying and end the world if one guy says so.

Technically it's a good movie, good special effects, nice submarine sets. The story is absolute crap, it's like a couple hollywood writers smoke a bunch of dope and then one says, "Like, then the captain gets free and denzel gets locked up, what's he gonna do?" 48 hours and ten pots of coffee later we got a script. Which they make into a movie. And two of my favorite actors sign on to this worm-eaten bloated corpse of a movie.

At the end of the movie there's a court marshall. Gene agrees to retire, Denzel is set loose for his next command. Which, like, word of this travels around the navy at about 80% the speed of light and after the rumor mill is done Denzel couldn't be hired on the SS Minnow to work the grill on 3 hour cruises.

Not recommended. It's just toooooooo stupid. In fairness it got good scores at Rotten Tomatoes. Go figger. They get it wrong some times.
These are the nine people whose votes will determine our next president. Your vote means nothing.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2020, 09:58:46 PM »
Upon further discussions with my girlfriend, it seems I've been mistaken about what makes a good date night movie. A good date night movie, it seems, is one she likes, like a rom com, and whether or not I like it too just isn't part of the equation.

Anyhow, scratch "Last of the Mohicans" off your date night list, "too much fighting."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2020, 10:40:38 PM »
Upon further discussions with my girlfriend, it seems I've been mistaken about what makes a good date night movie. A good date night movie, it seems, is one she likes, like a rom com, and whether or not I like it too just isn't part of the equation.

Anyhow, scratch "Last of the Mohicans" off your date night list, "too much fighting."

All a matter of taste. The inimitable one LOVES "Mohicans". Or as she calls it, "The Daniel Day Lewis and his loin cloth movie." Works for me.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
Great Expectations - 1998

Gwyneth Paltrow, Ethan Hawke, Anne Bancroft, Robert De Niro, Chris Cooper

from Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

The novel was not originally a novel. Diskens wrote it in installments for a newspaper, and was paid chapter by chapter. And the paper sold as people had to find out what happened next. This is the pre-TV and pre-radio version of a soap opera.

Great Expectations has been made into a move 11 times to date. It's generally thought that David Lean's 1946 version is the definitive. The 1998 version is modernized, it's not at all interested in being close to the novel or period correct. Frankly it's my favorite. It's hard for me to identify with people who have never heard of indoor plumbing or routinely washing hands and clothes.

Fin (Ethan) is a young orphaned boy being raised by his older sister's ex-boy friend (Chris). He meets Estelle (Gwyneth) when she's about 11 - she lives with her crazy ?aunt? Miss Havisham (Anne). Miss Havisham was left at the alter when she was a 42 y/o virgin, and has never recovered; she hates all men and is raising Estelle to hate all men. Estelle and Fin fall in love; then the drama starts.

Years later A mysterious lawyer appears and suddenly all Fin's wishes come true - he's flown to New York, given a loft and living money, and a show is arranged for his paintings. And he meets up with Estelle after several years of absence. More drama ensues - this is an 19th century soap opera and the drama never ends.

The critics didn't like this version much at all, but audiences do and so did my girlfriend. She had seen the 1946 version and was not so impressed; this one she liked. I found Lean's version hard to follow due to the thick accents and the dark lighting and mood - Lean's version is just this side of a horror film. Complaints about the 1998 version are that the characters are shallow and we leap from scene to scene without enough connectivity. I dunno, I guess. I just know I like it.

Recommended. And apparently a good date night movie. Love, drama, triangles, money, crazy old ladies, rags-to-riches, what's not to like?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:15:00 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 1975

Tim Curry, Richard O'Brien, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Meat Loaf

Cult film from the '70s. Lots of references to '50s sci-fi films. Tim is Frank-n-Furter ("I'm just a sweet transvestite from transexual transylvania" and "I'm not much of a man by the light of the day, but by night I'm one hell of a lover."), a mad (alien) scientist who's "making a man, with blond hair and a tan. He's good for relieving my tension." Richard O'Brian wrote the movie and plays his hunchback servant ("It's astounding. . . time is fleeting. . . madness takes it's toll. So listen closely - not for very much longer - I've got to keep control.") Susan Sarandon is a young local girl, just engaged that afternoon, who accidently falls into Frank-n-Furter's clutches ("I was feeling done in - couldn't win - I'd only ever kissed before. Thought there was no use getting into heavy petting - it only leads to trouble and seat wetting.")

Big coming of age flick. Great to take an 18 y/o girl, if you're 19.

Not for everyone. Mostly this is for kids about 17-25.

The Rialto used to play Rocky Horror every saturday night at midnight. For years and years. You've probably seen the Rialto, lots of stuff was filmed there. I used to go there to watch movies. And TRHPS.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:33:47 AM by marklawrence »

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2020, 11:17:29 PM »
Rocky Horror was an early example of the gender blending that is so common these days, part of the glam rock scene I guess.  When I first saw it, I was little disappointed, I didn't think it quite lived up to the hype it had.  But as time has gone on, and I've seen it more, I've grown to like it.  I appreciate it now, but it's more of a snapshot of a certain place in time, it's partly nostalgia.

I knew a girl who told me that you couldn't enjoy the movie unless you saw it with a crowd, with people throwing toast and stuff.  And I said well if it can't stand on its own, if you can't just watch the movie and be entertained, it can't really be any good, can it?  But yeah, it's all right.

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2020, 04:35:21 AM »

You are learning. :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:36:07 AM by Bignutz »
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2020, 06:41:33 AM »
You are learning. :P

Slowly. Very slowly. And painfully.

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Let’s do the Time Warp again!
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
It's just a jump to the left.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
Swordfish - 2001

Halle Berry, John Travolta, Hugh Jackman, Don Cheadle

As our story opens, Travolta is sitting in a small cafe, sipping coffee with Jackman and Cheadle, and talking about how hollywood movies are crap. He says, "What if you list your demands then shoot a hostage right then. 5 minutes later another. And another. The body count keeps goin up, 10, 20, 30 dead. Pretty soon you get your plane."

This is a movie that requires you pay attention. It's not a simple plot - rob the bank, get away. They do sorta rob a bank, but as you imagine there's the entire LA police force outside so getting away is not that easy. And the plane he wants? Right. 50 miles south of LA is El Toro Marine Air Base. 50 miles north is Vandenberg Air Force base. Seriously, how far do you think you get in your little 700 mph G5 when you've got F18s and F22s scrambling from all directions?

Here's a few facts to help you out. 15 years before the movie, the DEA had a program, "swordfish," that laundered money to entrap drug lords. It sorta worked, but after it was shut down there was $400m of drug money sitting in some secret numbered accounts. It's been invested all this time, and has grown to $9.5 billion.

Travolta works for a senator, they have a plan to get this money - money that no one owns, that's sitting in limbo, and use it to fight terrorism.

Travolta speaks of Harry Houdini, "How did he make an elephant disappear from a room in front of hundreds of people? Misdirection. What the eye sees, what the ear hears, the brain believes."

And finally, Travolta asks Jackman, "Suppose there was a cure for every disease known to man, you can save billions, but to get it you had to kill one 5 y/o girl. Could you do it?" Jackman says, "Yah, it's one now. Maybe suddenly it's 10." Travolta says, "Now you're getting it. Or 100. Or 1000. Against billions. Could you do it?"

I like the movie a lot. It's fairly violent and you have to pay close attention or it doesn't make sense - it's a very tight movie, there just aren't any wasted unimportant minutes here.

Recommended. But your wife won't pay close enough attention 'cause of all the testosterone and violence and such, so she's not going to get it most likely.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #463 on: October 08, 2020, 08:33:38 PM »
Unthinkable - 2010

Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Sheen, Carrie‑Anne Moss, Brandon Routh

A terrorist, Michael Sheen, ex-military special ops and now a muslim, plants three atomic bombs around the US. Then he sends a tape announcing he planted the bombs and demands would follow. The tape plays on every TV station non-stop. Then he walks into a mall and stands in front of a security camera until he gets arrested.

Carrie-Ann (Trinity) is an FBI agent tasked with observing and supporting the military while they interrogate this guy. Samuel is a cipher, he doesn't exist, but he walks into the place and takes over. A general tells him he's nuts and to get out. Then a suit shows up, assistant secretary of the DOD, and announced that Jackson is in charge now and will handle the interrogation. They have three days to find these three bombs.

What would you do? Is he lying? Are there bombs? These bombs would be plutonium, which means they're around 5-50 kilotons. Call it somewhere between Hiroshima and 3 times the blast radius of Hiroshima. We're talking about 10 million dead if there are bombs and you don't find them. And he's special ops, he knows what they're going to do to him, and he basically turned himself in. He's prepared to resist for three days, he's prepared to die. Remember Travolta's line from Swordfish? "a cure for all known diseases, but a 5 y/o girl must die." What are your limits? What are you willing to do to establish the existence and location of these bombs? This is a movie about finding those limits.

Me, I'm an American and I love this country. I have no limits in this case - the bombs must be found, the price is not relevant. I do whatever it takes. But that's me.

And here's the kewl part: no one ever knows what you did. If you find the bombs, only like 50 people ever know and they're not talking. 10 million americans were saved, who cares about the terrorist? It's not in anyone's interest to start a witch hunt over torture on American soil. If there's no bombs, well, he set up the game and he made the rules, again no one cares about the terrorist and no one wants a witch hunt. And if the bombs go off, America and the constitution are over right that instant. You're instantly living in a military police state, you're on war footing, someone did this, someone's got to pay, and it can never be allowed to happen again. No one every finds out about you, they're all busy working out the new reality. The terrorist was a war criminal and you were just some guy doing his duty. And what happened to the terrorist, well, it's better for Washington if no one is sure what happened to the terrorist.

I liked it. A bunch. But, lemme tell you, you've got a side that wants those bombs and you don't care what it takes to get that information. Maybe it's most of you, maybe it's 5% of you, but it's there and it's not pretty. Deal with it.

There's a couple unexpected twists at the end. While you're watching them, keep this one fact in mind: the terrorist turned himself in. He knows interrogation, he's seen field interrogations, he knows pretty much what will happen, none of this is a surprise to him. Remember that: he's not surprised. This is his game, his rules.

Recommended.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:48:19 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #464 on: October 11, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
U-571 - 2000

Matthew McConaughey, Harvey Keitel, bill paxton.

WW II. U boats are terrorizing atlantic shipping. They communicate with berlin over an encryption box, the enigma machine. We want one of these so bad we can taste it. Then a u boat gets disabled, we race out to pirate the enigma before the Germans can get there to save their sub. Tension, drama, suspense, acting. . . It's all sorta kinda here.

This is kinda sorta a true story, 'cept in real life the Brits did it, not us. So this is like a wet dream where you're doing Meredith Baxter, but then you remember she's gay and that means you must be a girl.

It's ok, nothing like great. The plot is pretty predictable, all the war time cliches are here. The acting is luke warm, which, I dunno how actors are supposed to get all juiced up for a script like this.

Only recommended if you just really have a thing about submarines.

Ps: u boats didn't have bathrooms 'cause they didn't have the pressure to flush when they were submerged. So you went in buckets and dumped them over the sides next time you surfaced.  Most of the boat didn't have room for two guys to walk past each other, so there was a lot of backing up and scrunching into a nook. And no showers. The atmosphere was pretty, um, ripe. U boats were seriously not romantic places.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:03:16 PM by marklawrence »