August 21, 2018, 12:42:14 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 5051 times)

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
I went to see Annihilation.

As the movie ended, a guy in the front row stood up and said, "And we paid money to see this!" A guy next to me said "Worst movie I've ever seen." I replied, "That's a bold statement." His friend said, "Yah, what about American Psycho 2?" He then said, "Ok, it's the second worst movie I've ever seen."

I didn't hate it, but I've not seen an audience reaction like this before.

Just saw it. Fascinating, if a bit slow at times. And the female characters were rather bland, which is a surprise since Garland's "Ex Machina" had a couple really interesting "female" protaganists. Alternately scary, eerie and, yes, at time boring, and definitely challenging, worth the time to see. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. What did take me out of the movie is why they would pick women who had almost no combat experience to enter a place of apparent great danger. I'll probably see it again after reading up on it online. This movie is definitely not for everyone.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Rampage

This movie is just silly.

Bio-engineers are trying to make, um, well we never get clear on that. What they do make is a spray that turns anything huge, fast aggressive. Then one of their rats destroys their space station (yah, they're doing their experiments in space so it's "safe"). The genetic stuff crashed to earth in reentry-proof containers ("safe") and infects a gorilla, a wolf and a croc. So a little later we got godzilla v. king kong with a giant wolf thrown in, all fighting and destroying chicago while they're at it. And Duane Johnson is running around 'cause he was friends with the gorilla back when it weighed 500 pounds. The science is bogus on too many levels, the CGI is below average, but there is enough comic relief so that you keep watching the movie. Rent it at redbox in six months for $1.50.

Destroy Chicago? I'll see it just for the sheer enjoyment factor. Hopefully that pathetic UFO stadium will be their first targer. Hopefully during a Bears practice.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 04:09:43 AM »
Beirut

Rosamond Pike has been in three movies that just came out: hostiles, for which I think she deserves an academy award; entebbe, where she had a forgettable part in a forgettable movie; and Beirut.

Some career diplomat stationed in Beirut has more or less adopted a young man. Then it turns out the young kids brother is a major terrorist. The house gets raided, the young kid grabbed by the terrorist brother, and the diplomats wife gets dead.

Ten years later the diplomat, now an alcoholic, gets called back to Beirut to negotiate the release of a captured CIA agent. Now the story gets complicated, a bit confusing, and like all diplomacy fillled with people lying to each other.

It was ok. Rosamond was ok. I'd give it about a C-.

Around here entebbe only lasted about four days in the theaters. This one may last an entire week.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:11:01 AM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 04:22:03 AM »
. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. .

Arrival was a great short story, especially if you happen to know some graduate level physics. The interesting physics was all ripped out of the movie, which I thought made the movie a bit hard to follow. The short story was about quantum philosophy and time and free will. I liked the movie but I'm still not clear on what it's about.

But then I'm also still not clear on what 2001 was about.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »
. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. .

Arrival was a great short story, especially if you happen to know some graduate level physics. The interesting physics was all ripped out of the movie, which I thought made the movie a bit hard to follow. The short story was about quantum philosophy and time and free will. I liked the movie but I'm still not clear on what it's about.

I thought it was the evolution of language. Since the alien language was the key to gaining new a perspective on time. Sort of like the things you think, say and do affect your life in a multitude of ways. In that way it reminded me of the I Ching. It was as if each symbol being used was a reciprocal image to represent your entire life if you had done so and so. It also struck me near the end that the idea of reality being made up of language can be a very true statement and we don't yet know what is possible and impossible. The aliens were uninspiring, aesthetic wise, but I liked Arrival a lot.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
I thought it was the evolution of language.

In the short story a key observation was that the aliens wrote everything simultaneously. We write linearly, one word at a time, and sometimes change our direction mid-sentence. The aliens seem to know where the entire paragraph starts and ends and everything in between before they start writing. So their written language, by it's very form, seems to imply they have a different view of time than we do.

It's an interesting question if their language drove their view of time, or if their view of time drove their language. This is never addressed in the movie or the story. The aliens aren't very forthcoming with answers.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Just saw it. Fascinating, if a bit slow at times. And the female characters were rather bland, which is a surprise since Garland's "Ex Machina" had a couple really interesting "female" protaganists. Alternately scary, eerie and, yes, at time boring, and definitely challenging, worth the time to see. But only if you think that "2001" or "Arrival" are really good movies. What did take me out of the movie is why they would pick women who had almost no combat experience to enter a place of apparent great danger. I'll probably see it again after reading up on it online. This movie is definitely not for everyone.

Watched it again Sunday. Even more interesting, since I knew the plot twists better. Being able to understand the motives of the chief protaganist made the experience even richer for me. That and some small plot points- subtle wordplay, the idea we are a self destructive species, with several examples. Even the seemingly random scene of the two mutant deer made more sense, though this was with the help of watching some Youtube analysis. That, and the suggested idea that the theory of panspermia is not something that is relegated to the past, but could still be occurring now- interesting ideas, indeed. Two people walked out on the movie (not for everybody), and some parents thought it would be a good idea to bring their children. Some "shushing" and mean looks kept them quiet enough to experience the movie without major distractions. In a somewhat related subject, "2001: a Space Odyssey" is celebrating its 50th anniversary. I saw it the first time in Cinerama, and was awed, but not sure what I'd seen. Relatively dismissed at the time, it's stature has increased. If you google "2001 film analysis", you get over 29.5 million suggestions. "Annihilation" has a paltry 1.7 million, though how many it'll have in 49 more years is anyone's guess.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
Avengers Infinity War.

OK, I'm a total comic book movie addict, so I'll just say it, this was a great movie.

Thanos, the "bad guy," was on an overpopulated planet many millions of year ago. He pointed out they were killing their planet and half their people should be killed. He was labeled a quack and ignored. A little later they did indeed poison the planet and most everyone died.

Thanos is now out to capture the six infinity stones so that he can just snap a finger and kill half the sentients in the universe. He sees this as a great mission to improve the universe, if not one he will be thanked for. Personally, I think our planet is wildly overpopulated and we're killing it. I'm not a big fan of wholesale murder, but if I could snap my fingers and 2/3 of everyone was sterile, I would not hesitate. Except the Hollywood pedophiles, they can definitely die. Oh, heck, all the other pedophiles can die too. BTW, I count 40-something muslims who are "married" to pre-teen girls as pedophiles.

Our heroes are, of course, dedicated to stopping Thanos.

This movie is the first of a two parter, so of course our heroes lose in the end of this one. Turns out they lose rather staggeringly badly - everyone left the theater stunned and very quiet.

There's one extra scene at the very end of the credits. After the names of all 12,000 people who worked on the movie. 6,000 of which should, apparently, be dead now.

Of course this review is a waste of time: if you're going to see this movie, you decided that over a year ago, and if you don't watch comic book movies nothing here even made sense to you.

Spoilers: Middle of the movie, Dr.Strange suddenly goes all out of focus and epileptic. After a bit he settles down and announces he's used the time stone to check out possible futures. Stark: "How many?" Strange: "14,000,697." Stark: In how many did we win?" Strange: "1"  (roughly lotto odds. Not a good thing.) End of the movie, Strange: "Sorry, Tony, but this was the only way."

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
Yep. For arguably the biggest and baddest villain in the Marvel Universe they captured the comic book version of Thanos pretty well. Believe they chose the right voice actor too.

I was glad to see they were more focused on the drama surrounding Thanos than the superheroes. Also focused on the drama in general. It wasn't just a bunch of filler scenes with weak or comedic dialogue leading to the next fight scene. Finally, a superhero movie that isn't completely predictable and leaves you wanting more.

It will make for an interesting sequel, but I think this will be the better movie by a fair margin.

I do wonder who their endgame villain will be. Dormammu or Galactus? I suspect we are nearing the end of this Marvel reign. Galactus would mean the Fantastic Four or at least Silver Surfer would likely come into the fold. With there only being so much room for more superheroes in a single movie I have to think Dormammu is the logical choice. Although, they did kill half of them off, soooo there is room on the roster for some new faces. I think it will be one or the other, Galactus or Dormammu. I also don't think they will be the ones to kill Thanos. 

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
Kings

With Daniel Craig and Halle Berry you might expect a really good movie. Yo may as well expect hundred dollar bills to fall from the sky.

This movie has no detectable plot. It's the story of a single mom and her 8 foster kids (the source of her livelihood) surviving the LA riots after the King trial. I should have looked it up before I went. Lotsa bad cops, 'cause, um, well, 'cause. The movie has been out for 2 days and there were 5 people in the audience. Seriously. Five. I predict this will be bumped off the local screens by Wednesday.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:25 PM »
When I first joined moviepass, it was $9.95/month, one movie a day, so basically 30 movies a month for $10. In the extreme case, $0.33 / movie. Not really, there aren't that many movies you can stomach. I've been averaging just a bit under 10 movies a month, that is two or three a week, $1 per movie more or less.

A couple months later they had a deal, 12 months for $90. I switched to that deal, so then I was $7.50/month for 30 movies. My year expires in about December, maybe January, I'm not certain.

Two weeks ago they changed their deal, $10/month for four movies and unlimited iHeartRadio, whatever that is. Billed in three month increments of $30. Not nearly as good. I imagine iHeartRadio lets you hear songs on your phone that you don't really want to hear, while draining your phone battery at a somewhat alarming rate.

One week ago the announced that "some" users would be required to send in photos of their ticket stubs "occasionally to prevent fraud." I'm one of the "some," and "occasionally" means every time.

A couple days ago they changed their plan, you can't see the same movie more than one time. I had been seeing the super hero movies two or thee times. I'm happy to say I got in two viewings of the new Avengers movie before they cut me off. But next month I'll see Han Solo and Deadpool, apparently one time only. I'm not very happy about this deal being changed in the middle, I think that's cheating. I know they're losing a ton of money, but that was predictable, predicted, and not my problem.

To date I've paid them about $130, I've seen 76 movies, and I'm paid up for the rest of the year, during which time I expect to see another ~40 movies. That number would be more like 60 if I were still allowed to see movies more than once (ok, I should attend movies anonymous, don't judge me.) So I'm seeing movies for about $1.15, up from about $1. If you sign up now and managed to see four movies every month, you'll be paying $2.50 / movie. Still a good deal, but not quite as breathtaking. And the deal keeps getting worse, who knows what's next. At some point, obviously, either bankruptcy or shutdown or the deal goes to like two movies a month, I suppose. I used to be very enthusiastic about movie pass and refer people in the theater lines constantly. I'm no longer doing that. I'm a little put off by all these changes. Perhaps when my year is up I'll quit. Perhaps I'll join twice, $20/month for 8 movies, the second account in one of my kids names or something. Or perhaps before then there will be a Yellowstone super volcano or a nuclear war or a pandemic and we'll all be dead. So it goes.

Anyway, if you're interested it's moviepass.com.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:10:07 PM by marklawrence »

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 06:14:37 AM »
We take advantage of our local budget cinema. This is the old first run cinema house, made "obsolete" when the "state of the art" 16 screen movie mecca opened. The seats are comfy, the audiences small, the price about $2.50/ticket. Usually less. When we do go to recent releases, it's always in weekday afternoons. Smaller, more mature audiences who stay quiet during the film and stay off their phones. And you're right Mark, they are cheating on the rules by restricting access and forcing you to prove it was you who went. But then again, they have the power and you have the right to complain, and be ignored. Welcome to the new reality.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
I'm also one of the "some" that is required to send a photo of my ticket stub.   I'm also required to allow them access to my cellphone camera in the process.  $9.95 was a good deal and of course there was always going to be some trade-off in privacy, but don't think I'm comfortable with those changes.   May soon be going back to just waiting it out and seeing movies from the Redbox again.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 04:30:55 AM »
Bad Samaritan

Two twenty something punks are running a scam. They work as valets at an upscale restaurant in Portland. If you have a nice car, they go to your home and Rob it. One of the kids takes a masarati, is robing the house, and finds a girl chained up and beaten.

What follows is a cat and mouse chase between the kid and the perp, with the police and FBI as incompetent and uninterested bystanders.

I liked it, I thought it was surprising and effective. And had some good dialogue, including one really great line near the end.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 04:34:27 AM »
Apparently a lot of people thought the same thing we did about moviepass's new deal. The old deal $10 for 30 movies is back. So I'm back to recommending it. Still no repeat viewings.