July 20, 2018, 05:24:22 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 3682 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
American Animals

A movie? true story? documentary? about four twenty-something punks who decide to steal some rare books from the Transylvania University rare book collection. Yah, there really is a Transylvania University, it's in Kentucky and it has a bunch of famous alumni that I've never heard of. The movie bounces back and forth between the actors and interviews with the actual guys who really did it. The theater was packed with eight people at the 7pm showing saturday night, so if you wanna see it better move quick. It was really rather outstandingly dreadful, the only "good" parts were where like when our heroes gave out their real phone numbers, not burner phone numbers, when trying to get the books assessed. 'Cause the fences want assessments from NYC auction houses. Seriously, I dunno how these guys got into any college, but it wasn't on the basis of their SATs. Anyway, I'm pretty much sorry I went, it was two hours of my life I'll ever get back.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:36:43 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
Professor Marston and the wonder women

This is a true story. Marston was a Harvard PhD in the brand new field of psychology. He taught at Radcliff, the Harvard college for women, back in the 1930s. He was married; his wife Elizabeth was a grad student at Radcliff. At Radcliff they met Olive and everyone fell in love. In the 1930s. They all got thrown out of Radcliff and both Marston's careers were over. Then Olive got pregnant.

To support both his growing family and to promote his feminist ideas, which were, even by today's standards a bit out there, Marston invented a comic, wonder women. They had many difficulties including fitting into their community, sending their kids to public schools, and a growing movement to censor comics including Wonder woman, which, IMHO, needed censoring. Marston was a bit of a wack job.

This was a surprisingly good movie, however if you have strong Christian beliefs you may well find it a bit offensive. The Marston's had rather unusual sexual habits which are explored in the movie, because they were also strongly represented in the early Wonder woman comics. Marston believed true love required submission; early ww comics had a rather stunning amount of bondage, dominance and submission.

You have to watch it on DVD and even that is not so easy. I bought one on eBay for seven bucks, violating my rule not to buy movies over five bucks.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Sicario 2

Bombing in Kansas City. Government has to look like they're doing something. So they decide since Mexican gangs are snuggling bad guys they'll start a cartel war. Then it turns out the terrorists were all from New Jersey and the situation goes all Charlie foxtrot.

Not as good as the first, but ok.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:34:03 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
Ant Man and the Wasp.

Probably should have been named Wasp and the Ant Man. Evangeline Lilly was retired from acting, a new mom taking care of her baby, and Peter Jackson talked her back into movies - "I get to play a wood elf?!?! Like Legolas?!?!?" Now she's a hot property.

Wasp's mom, Janet Pym, was lost into "the quantum realm" thirty years ago, but now we think maybe she's alive. And sane. And healthy. Sorry, I know I gotta suspend disbelief, but when you're smaller than a quark, waddaya breath? eat? I dunno what the concept of temperature means in these areas, but how do you stay warm? The universe, of course, is at -470 degrees, which is kinda cold.

Meanwhile there's some bad guys who want to steal their quantum tech, and a super villain who wants to steal it for reasons that seem obscure at first, and the FBI wants to put everyone in jail for violating the Sokovia accords. And just as they're finishing up the technology to visit the quantum realm, thirty years after Janet's disappearance, it's also announced they have two hours and then she'll be lost for another century. Right. So it's a bit like Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world - a demolition race for all the marbles.

Ok, I don't sound very positive. It was a good movie, I enjoyed it, but it never grabbed me like Thor or Incredibles 2. If you wait for the DVD you won't be missing much.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:21:53 PM by marklawrence »

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
Ocean's 8

In 1960 Sinatra and friends put out a movie Oceans 11 about a gang that does an improbable heist. In 2001 George Clooney did a remake. This proved so popular it was followed by Ocean's 12 and Ocean's 13. Now, a decade later, Danny Ocean (Clooney) is dead, but his sister Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) organizes a jewel heist at the Met. $300m worth of jewels.

If you liked Ocean's 11, you'll like this. It was well constructed, good acting and dialog, and no more improbable than the previous films. To my eyes, the only major plot fail is that there's a group of highly intelligent criminals in NYC who want to steal hundreds of millions of dollars, and they're not working for a hedge fund.

Just saw Ocean's 8 w/ my wife and laughed out loud a couple of times, but not neccessarily at the appropriate times. We enjoyed it and hope she gets that simpler life.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2018, 08:05:41 PM »
The Purge

I was not going to see this, but a friend told me it was good.

Nah. It's race-baiting liberal crap. A psychologist announces that if there were a 12 hour period when all laws were suspended, then people would get their anger out and behave better the rest of the year. A group, the "NWWA" finances an experiment where it will be tried on Staten Island. Turns out Staten Island is populated by blacks with a few token latinos, zero whites. The NWWA just wants blacks to kill each other. When that mostly doesn't happen, they're ready with a bunch of imported KKK (pointy hats and all) and blond haired blue eyed aryan mercs, who then go in killing everything that moves. You know, for the first 60 years of my life I only heard of the KKK in history books, but now suddenly it seems there's one behind every bush.

Don't see it. This appeals to the very worst sentiments in this country and should not be rewarded with your money.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »
Skyscraper

Kinda sorta a remake of die hard. Die hard had the better villian - Hans Gruber aka Prof Snape. Both wife's were good. Dwayne Johnson is as good as Bruce. And skyscraper had better heart stopping effects.

Everyone in the theater loved it and so did I.

See it.

btw, at one point a cop gets shot and Dwayne picks up his motorcycle and rides off. The cop bike is the same thing I ride. Same color and everything. 'Cept I don't have the blue and red lights in front.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:19:40 PM by marklawrence »

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Skyscraper

Kinda sorta a remake of die hard. Die hard had the better villian - Hans Gruber aka Prof Snape. Both wife's were good. Dwayne Johnson is as good as Bruce. And skyscraper had better heart stopping effects.

Everyone in the theater loved it and so did I.

See it.

btw, at one point a cop gets shot and Dwayne picks up his motorcycle and rides off. The cop bike is the same thing I ride. Same color and everything. 'Cept I don't have the blue and red lights in front.

Does he run across broken glass barefoot? To quote Chris Farley, "That was AWESOME!"

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:13 PM »
Equalizer 2

The Equalizer was a pretty good movie. Denzel Washington is a "retired" CIA special ops guy who befriends a young hooker; when her russian pimp beats her into the ICU, he takes on the russian mob. To their severe detriment.

Equalizer 2 is a stranger film. Here we start out with Denzel being a local good samaritan, standing up for the hopeless. Then he gets involved in some strange plot that starts with a French couple being killed in their Paris home. I never quite figured out how the french people figured into everyone else's life. Of course it winds up with a bunch of guys wanting Denzel dead and he reciprocating. Denzel does a pretty good acting job, but the story was more than a little cut up.

Wait for the DVD at Redbox.