December 17, 2018, 01:41:17 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 9441 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
Movie pass is now $15 per month and generally does not allow you to see new releases. No one is sure what that means. My preferred theater uses movie pass e tickets and I seem to stop be able to go to anything. If you use the movie pass Visa card, I think maybe it's time to quit. At this point AMC has a better deal, $20 per month for three movies a week, includes seeing movies more than once and includes 3d and IMAX movies. And discounts on the seriously overpriced and fattening movie food.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
An unsustainable business model that was started with magical thinking and quickly found itself in big trouble. The site this article is from is not a favorite of everyone, but the article itself explains the problems inherent in this business boondoggle.

https://slate.com/business/2018/07/why-moviepass-collapsed.html
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
Just saw "Hereditary". Wow. Extremely intense, slow burn horror. And really, really psychologically messed up. Want to see a double header of movies that will rock your world? Watch this one and "The Babadook" back to back. Both very well acted, very well written and directed, and both total. The writers of these movies were working through some very, very dark places. And they'll take you there with them.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
The Darkest Minds

Rowling was on welfare. She dropped her kids off at school, bought a coffee, sat at a table on the sidewalk with her laptop for 4 hours and wrote Harry Potter. Now she's a billionaire working on her 2nd billion.

Stephanie Mayer wrote Eclipse, half as many books that are half as good, and is now worth $125m.

Suzanne Collins wrote Hunger Games and is now worth $80m.

Everyone is now trying to write the next teen super-something and get filthy rich.

Now it's Alexandra Bracken's turn. She wrote a book, The Darkest Minds. There's an epidemic in the future, 90% of all kids die. The ones who live have powers. The government rounds them all up, classifies them, and kills the ones deemed dangerous. The rest seem to work as slaves in a shoe factory. Weird use of kids. Every single adult man in this story is a jack-booted thug who seems to live to yell at kids and hit them on the head with the butt of his AR-15. Half the adult women make their money  running around with large guns and rounding up escaped kids. Alexandra has some serious personal issues, I think.

The movie is about, um, well, pretty much nothing. It's obviously just a set up for the next two movies, which, given how bad this one is, I'm having trouble seeing them get made. At the end of the movie I stood up and said, "A movie about nothing. Cool." Half the audience laughed.

Don't even rent it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:47:47 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
The Spy who Dumped Me

A comedy / spy story. Mila Kunis has a boyfriend who dumps her by text message, then turns out to be a spy. He left a 2nd place trophy with her, and now it turns out all the spy agencies in the world are after her to get the trophy, not to mention some terrorists after her too. Kate McKinnon plays her friend who is written to be non-stop grating. Mila and Kate fly to Europe then run all over the continent trying to stay alive and do the right thing. Pretty soon they figure out there are no good guys in this story. Most of the fixes they get in are highly artificial, which of course is 'cause it's a comedy, not a Jane Bond movie.

It's mildly amusing. If you like this sort of thing rent it in six months and watch it with your wife.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:52:25 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:10 PM »
The Meg

Arrogant scientists (this time they're chinese) find an unexplored part of the ocean and they boldly go. A 60 foot long hundred ton shark follows them back, and then the fun begins. The shark goes after people, Jason Stratham goes after the shark, and we have the whole moby dick / jaws thing.

The movie is decently entertaining and has a few actual surprises. It's worth watching. Perhaps more so as a rental.

As usual the science is simply atrocious, we have radio and video penetrating through 6 miles of seawater (which is a conductor, electromagnetic waves don't work, subs don't do radio), we have little plastic subs going to places where the pressure is 15,000 pounds per square inch, we get said little plastic subs descending at like 50 mph into the deeps, we got fish down 6 miles deep where light never goes and they've got eyes and colorful skins. And the fish exist because they found a place that's much warmer than expected. Warm water holds less oxygen than cold water - that's why the water off the Bahamas is a beautiful clear blue, it has almost no oxygen and is dead - and that's why the best seafood comes from Alaska and New Foundland and Norway, the cold water is teeming with oxygen and life.  I dunno, it just sucks knowing stuff and watching most movies. The Big Bang Theory gets all the math and science right and everyone loves that. Interstellar and Gravity got most all of the math and science right and everyone loved them. Where's the requirement that movies have to be stoopid? I'm surprised they didn't find fish marching with LGBQT signs and with signs that said "The Earth was created in 6471 BC" and fish selling Cavendish bananas and naval oranges.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:35:50 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
Dog Days

This is a chick flick. Generally I'm ok with chick flicks, at least in small doses. This one started *really* slow. It's about several dog owners and related drama. The first 100 minutes are a total snooze - I almost left. The last 15 minutes are pretty good, if you can hang on that long. If your wife loves dogs and chick flicks, rent it and take a nap. You wont miss much.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
Christopher Robin

Christopher gets sent off to boring school, then he's sent off to WW II. He comes back as Obi-Wan, marries Peggy Carter (Cap America's main squeeze, but the Cap is frozen in ice by then. . .), has a daughter and gets a job working for Mycroft Holmes at Woozle Enterprizes. Somewhere along the way Obi-Wan loses his way and almost loses his wife and daughter, but gets magically transported back to the 100 acre woods where he has an adventure with Pooh and friends. Then it's back to london where he fixes all Woozle's and his problems.

Sound a bit hard to follow? It was. And it was overly moralistic. And I had trouble identifying with anyone ('cept possibly Eeyore).

I dunno, not so great a film maybe. Finding Neverland was many, many times better.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:11:36 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
Crazy Rich Asians

A rom-com, except I seemed to have missed the comedy. Rachel is an asian professor of economics at NYU, and has a gorgeous asian boyfriend. He's to be the best man at a wedding in singapore, so off they fly - where rachel will meet the family. Who turn out to be billionaires. Mom hates rachel, 'cause cinderella isn't good enough. And so the games begin.

It didn't really resonate with me at all. I somehow can't identify with billionaires, or their self-absorbed offspring, or their $100m weddings, or people who drive exotic cars in singapore.

Pass.

I'm coming to sorta understand rotten tomatoes. If RT gives the movie a rating under 50%, it's pretty much going to suck. If the rating is over 75%, it's about 50-50.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:37:27 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2018, 01:57:05 AM »
22 Mile

About a special ops team. They're in some SE Asian country looking for 8 pounds of cesium that got, um, lost. Cesium is seriously bad stuff and eight pounds could render a couple good sized cities uninhabitable. A local says he knows where it is but wants to go to the us before he'll tell. Meanwhile some Russians are flying around in a spy plane for no clear reason. Our team needs to get the local 22 miles to an airport in time to get on a US military transport and get the cesium. Lotsa people want to stop this from happening. Lotsa action. Short movie. Complicated plot. I'd have to watch it another time or two to be clear on everything going on.

I liked it. I dunno if I liked it at movie tickets price levels, but I liked it. For me, $11 to watch a movie raises the bar pretty high. The $1 per movie I've been averaging lowers that bar a lot, but for me a lot of movies don't even clear the $1 bar.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:12:58 AM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
Alpha

A somewhat touching movie, but hugely historically and scientifically inaccurate. (I know, I make that complaint constantly. . .)

Kedo is a perhaps 16 y/o out on his first hunt with his tribe, and gets severely hurt and left for dead. Later he nearly kills a wolf protecting himself; he then nurses himself and the wolf back to life, then they have to find their way home to his village, perhaps 100 miles or more.

We're told the film is Europe 20,000 years ago. The film is shot in a desert, which I suppose pretty much makes it spain, but winter is coming and it's pretty cold. One wonders why you would make a semi-permanent residence in a desert where there's a bit of grass and not much else, no chance of agriculture. In fact, since 20,000 years ago they must have been hunter-gatherers, one wonders why they have a village at all.

btw, 1) 20,000 years ago everyone had dark skin, white skin hadn't been invented yet. Not by 15,000 years. 2) Wolves are huge creatures, 180 pound males that stand 3 feet tall at the shoulder. Perhaps you think your German Shepherd or Siberian Husky is nearly a wolf, but they're half as big. 3) If you get submerged in an ice-covered river, your life expectancy, absent a whole bunch of help and a big fire, is well under half an hour.

Well, I kinda liked the film but I was constantly annoyed by the humongous inaccuracies. I've spent a bunch of time in the mojave desert, and it's a great place to ride a motorcycle but a terrible and deadly place to live. The parts of the film that were shot "on location" were shot in a part of Alberta that's a lot like Utah but a lot colder. It's not much at all like any place in Europe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:22:45 AM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
Kevin Spacey, accused pedophile, released his latest movie "Billionaire boys Club" this weekend. Eight theaters in the US picked it up. Total ticket sales were $618.

Now I'd like to see if we can end the career of Robert DeNiro.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
Kevin Spacey, accused pedophile, released his latest movie "Billionaire boys Club" this weekend. Eight theaters in the US picked it up. Total ticket sales were $618.

Now I'd like to see if we can end the career of Robert DeNiro.

DeNiro has already committed career suicide with "Bad Grandpa". The guy has become a shell of himself, relying on mannerisms rather than inhabiting and breathing life into a created character. A once great actor who has become a caricature. But Travis Bickle, his Michael in "The Deerhunter", a young Vito Corleone in "Godfather II", Jake Lamotta in "Raging Bull", Jimmy Conway in "Goodfellas", even Rupert Pupkin in "The King of Comedy". Great performances.

As far as Spacey, the movie had been on VOA for about six months before being released to theaters for some reason. Besides, it was already a TV movie in 1987. And if you want to move against those who greatly offend the sensitilities, I think the Catholic Church could use some serious reformation as regards pedophilia.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:35:14 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »
My movie pass ride is nearly over.

I bought a year, but with four months to go they've switched me to the 3 movies a month thing. Their excuse is they offered me a refund on the remaining time if I don't like it.

Turns out there's only three movies a month I was planning on seeing for the rest of the year, so I'm gonna let it slide. But I believe in January I'll be switching to the AMC deal - $20, 3 movies a week.

I've paid Moviepass $130 total and at the end of the year I'll have seen 119 films, so $1.10 per movie. AMC will be more like $1.75 / movie.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
We saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor", the Mr. Rogers documentary. It focused heavily on his roots in the television days, but didn't delve very deeply into his childhood/upbringing or why he was the way he was. A gentle, kind, compassionate man who was later reviled by some for telling children that, indeed, they are unique, valuable and should be cherished. Touching, but limited.