December 10, 2018, 06:59:37 PM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 9079 times)

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2018, 01:03:31 AM »
I won't  be seeing Holmes and Watson. It's sophomoric slapstick and I don't find that funny at all. Furthermore, I like the books and I love Cumberbatch's Holmes, so I find this a bit degrading and insulting. I'm really not at all a will Ferris fan.

Nobody beats Jeremy Brett as Holmes IMHO.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2018, 09:55:33 AM »
I won't  be seeing Holmes and Watson. It's sophomoric slapstick and I don't find that funny at all. Furthermore, I like the books and I love Cumberbatch's Holmes, so I find this a bit degrading and insulting. I'm really not at all a will Ferris fan.

Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce as Watson.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »

Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce as Watson.

They were very good, and I really enjoyed those movies, but Brett really does the Holmes character justice. Very true to the stories.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
Venom

Venom is a character from Spider-Man, but Spider-Man is no where to be seen. This movie happens mostly in San Francisco.

Our bad guy is rather obviously Elon Musk - how the tide is turned on that poor guy - who is out to explore space for future colonization. He sends a rocket to a comet, and it brings back four life forms, which he somehow intuits are symbiots just looking for an earth host. Meanwhile our Elon character thinks the earth is doomed 'cause of global warming and over population. I agree with the second half of that, the earth's population *will* come under control and it appears it will not be pretty. Anyway, our ?hero? gets ahold of one of the symbiots, or perhaps I have that backwards, and he turns into Venom, a super, um, well a super something. Then the action starts.

The acting is good for a movie like this. The dialog is so-so, as are the plot and special effects. This movie is about as good as one of the hulk movies, call it B-, and remember I love this stuff. I don't think this is an $11 movie. There are a couple after-scenes, one of which sets up the next Venom movie. The second sets up the spider-verse movie, which looks to be very weird. Sony is just desperate to cash in on their properties, and so far they're just not a blazing success story.

This movie is extremely multi-cultural, as is the Bay Area. The credits about 2/3 read like a phone book from somewhere in India - hindus, sikhs, jains, muslims, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and some others I didn't recognize just by name.  Silicon Valley is taking all the brightest kids from all over the world and doing some really incredible stuff with them. And leaving behind a bunch of third world countries drained of their best and brightest.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
A Star Is Born, V4

A remake of a remake of a remake.

1937, Janet Gaynor and Fredric March.
1954, Judy Garland and James Mason.
1976, Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
2018, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

This was a good movie, they say it's the front runner for best picture. The acting was quite good. The basic story is Bradley Cooper is a pretty successful singer. He discovers Lady Gaga in, of all places, a tranny bar. He turns her into a star, just as his hearing is going and his career is winding down. He disappears into a bottle to compensate, and a good time is had by all.

I dunno, it didn't really resonate with me. I'm not that kind of self-destructive, and I must admit I thought the timing was poor: I'm kinda sick of it's always the white guy who screws everything up.

But don't get carried away by my take, your wife will love it and you'll likely like it a lot.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »
We're rewatching "The Greatest Showman", and loving every second of it. Great choreography, songs and an uplifting message. Of course, its not historically accurate, to which I say, "So what?" Its not a documentary, its a movie that is meant to entertain you, move you and make you feel better. It succeeds very well at these goals.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
First man

A pretty good film. No where near as good as Apollo 13, but pretty good. Thev story of the path to the first moon landing.

One of the parts that I found interesting is that my father's generation, the generation raised in the depression who fought WWII, was raised to show no emotion, and sure enough the astronauts showed very little emotion. It was clear that this drove their wives nuts.

Not a great film for young kids, they would think it dragged

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
Reprisal

After I rented it, I saw this had a zero rating on Rotten Tomatoes. And it earned it.

Crummy dialog. Plot holes left and right. 13 year old girl shows up for breakfast and is cheerful, polite and engaging with her parents - seriously, I was looking around for the unicorn farting rainbows. At one point the bad guy reels off 31 quick shots without reloading from a glock, which holds 17 rounds. I never did figure out what was going on besides some robberies and a lot of shooting.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody

I'm not clear on what's going on, but it seems I'm pretty much no longer allowed to use moviepass. Or anyone else, judging from the internet. So I streamed this movie from Russia, with love.

This movie is the story of Freddie Mercury, the married / bisexual / gay singer for Queen. We all already knew he lived a troubled life and the fame and fortune were scant payback for his confusion. This movie goes into some detail. I must admit to you I'm not a huge fan of Queen - I appreciate they did some interesting songs, and Freddie had a simply insane vocal range. I personally have a pretty good singing range, about one note less than McCartney or the guy who sings Take on Me, but Freddie was in a class of his own, he had a couple notes on all of us. Plus he had some kind of vocal cord control that's very rare, he could simply sing things that mere mortals mostly can't even attempt. There have been studies done and papers written about how he sang and what he could do.

A lot of the movie is about Freddie's confused sexuality, and much of the rest is about his youthful narcissism. I found the movie was unengaging, it just never really gripped my attention. I like Elton John's music a bunch better, but I'm personally not interested in his sexuality either. I don't understand this thing were everyone's sexual habits are suddenly their defining characteristics and we have to be personally aware of every sordid detail.

The movie hints at Freddie getting aids, but never explores this at all. He died of aids complications in 1991. Had he lived a few years longer he could have bought the cure for something like $250,000. Timing is everything

Freddie, curiously enough, was a persian (Iranian) whose family were zoroastrians (2001 theme, "Also sprach Zarathustra," "Also Spoke Zoroaster" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szdziw4tI9o). He was born in India, raised on Zanzibar in Tanzania, then moved to England. His sexuality would have gotten him quickly killed in India or Tanzania, I think. Actually, his religion would have gotten him killed in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Lebanon or Syria, which is mostly where the Zoroastrians live today. Zoroaster (or Zarathrustra) lived roughly the same time as the Buddha, Confucius and Lao Tsu. It's entirely possible all four of these major religions were created at the same time. Zoroaster was perhaps the first to formally ask, "If God is good, why is there evil in the world?" His answers were highly influential on Greek thought and Judaism, and therefore on Christian and Islamic thought. Some scholars think the book of Job was Zoroastrian in origin. Zoroaster taught we have choices to make, the choices and consequences are ours alone, and the evil in our lives comes from evil choices of ourselves and others near us. Needless to say, none of this made the cut for this movie, as it would require a self-aware and thinking audience.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:51:26 PM by marklawrence »

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
Speed Kills

As John Travolta ages, it seems to me he looks more and more like an aging Schwarzenegger.

In Speed Kills Travolta is a New Jersey property developer who goes bankrupt, then reappears in Florida suddenly making the world's fastest speedboats. 'Cause, you know, there's no technical skill to making the world's fastest speedboats, you just hire a couple guys and do it. Same thing with cars, Indy and F1 are typically won by amateurs who just slapped something together.

The movie spans a couple decades, a couple wives, a couple litters of kids, several girlfriends, and a bunch of mob and DEA contacts. Its hard to keep up with who's who, especially because it quickly gets hard to care much. This movie has good acting, dialog, drama and action, but only in tiny spurts connected by big blocks of confusion. I never did really figure out what the movie was about. Most of Travolta's problems could have been solved if early on he had told the DEA agent, "Look, I just make fast boats, I got all these drug guys pushing me around and using my building and forcing me to make their cayman island deposits, put someone in my shop and let's get me free."

At one point in the movie we hear the local jewish mobster say, "We're bigger than US steel." This is a quote from the Godfather, which is turn is a quote from Meyer Lansky who was apparently at one time worth $300m but left an estate worth $57,000.

I dunno why you would want to watch this movie.

I haven't had much luck with movies lately. Moviepass is, for all practical purposes, dead. The Girl in the Spider's Web more or less sucks. And Grindenwald more or less sucks. I guess we all gotta settle in and wait for Aquaman. And Glass.