August 19, 2019, 11:36:39 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 21095 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Last night we watched Atavar. She said, "Oh, great, a cartoon." Turns out she really liked the movie. I said, "Good cartoon, huh?"

btw, James Camaron studied physics in college, and I have no particular issues with Atavar. Curiously, he took physics the same place I learned calculus, but a year ahead of me. There are no huge gaping violations of the laws of God and Man.

She liked "Avatar"? Good. because there are another four sequels in the pipeline.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/avatar-sequel-announcements-timeline-james-cameron.html

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »
Not surprised there’s more planned now that Disney has the rights.

They love those “franchise” movies.

Btw......really enjoyed the Pandora land at Disney World earlier this year.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/animal-kingdom/pandora-world-of-avatar/

Now want to go back for the Star Wars theme park. But not for a few years. Let the hysteria settle a bit.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 06:27:23 PM by dannobanano »

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
Girl, Interrupted is a pretty good movie. Sort of like Fight Club meets Shutter Island.

John Wick was awesome. Love Keanu and John Wick.

Avengers Endgame was okay. Infinity War was legitimately a really good movie, so it had a lot to live up to for me. Didn't disappoint or wow me.

I can't believe you paid money to see Captain Marvel.  stirpot)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2019, 06:25:13 PM »
Girl, Interrupted is a pretty good movie. Sort of like Fight Club meets Shutter Island.

John Wick was awesome. Love Keanu and John Wick.

Avengers Endgame was okay. Infinity War was legitimately a really good movie, so it had a lot to live up to for me. Didn't disappoint or wow me.

Saw "Captain Marvel" and "Shazam". Total cost for both movies was less than $6. Budget cinemas rock. The critics pretty much nailed "CM"- very mediocre; the fight scenes weren't thrilling, Brie Larson came off as smug and unlikeable. My first comment to my wife after seeing it was "Wonder Woman was better." At least the first two acts were very good; the third act was just stupid. But at least it had some very good set pieces, and there was good chemistry between Chris Pine and Gal Gadot.

"Shazam" had a really, really good heart and wonderful intentions. Mark Strong was wasted, but Zachary Levi was just outstanding. The problem was there just wasn't any well defined menace. So, Mark Strong is going to be evil? How would this affect people? A lot left off the table, and instead is left to our imagination.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »

In the last two years I've paid about $130 to MoviePass and watched about 135 movies. I haven't paid directly for a ticket in all that time. Now I stream movies. I most especially don't want my money going to Disney, who I consider more insidious than CNN.

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
Rocketman

This is the story of Elton John. He's worth $500 million, but he wants us to know how rough his childhood was.

I liked this movie ok. It's a musical - every now and then everyone on screen breaks into song and dance. Apparently it's the year for biopics on gay music stars. I liked this one a lot better than I liked Bohemian Rhapsody, but I must admit that might be because I like Elton John a lot better than I like Freddie Mercury.

Kee Kee Dee appears in the movie for about 90 seconds, which is roughly proportional to how long she appears in Elton's life. There was another woman whom he married - Renate Blauel - I was completely unaware of her, but this was in the mid-80s and I was unaware of most everything for that decade.

According to this movie, Elton was a musical prodigy - the movie exaggerates a bit, but in fact he was extremely talented even when as young as 5. It's also claimed in the movie that he "fucked everything that moved and took every drug known to man." I expect that's true.

Elton was played by Taron Egerton, recently the star of The Kingsmen. He did a good job of acting, and as far as he could manage his singing was decent. Unfortunately, Elton is a high tenor and Taron is missing the better part of an octive of Elton's range. Other singers in the movie were actually quite good. There's one scene where Taron is playing Elton at perhaps age 17 - his mother and grandmother are somewhat skeptical of his choice of music as a career, and he sits at the piano and plays and sings Your Song, which, of course, leaves them in tears. Women can't resist a man who sings to them, even if the man sings badly. In fact, my personal formula:

1. Walk a dog in public. The women will come to you.

2. When you find one you like, make her laugh.

3. Take her home. Sing to her.

4. Then cook her dinner.

That's it, you own her heart.

I dunno, this wasn't a very well written review, but remember I started out saying overall I liked it. The good parts of the movie outshown the self-indulgent parts.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
Dark Phoenix

The latest X-Men movie. This is a retelling of the story of Jean Grey - you may recall in the 3rd X-Men movie, Last Stand 2006. In this version the X-Men go to space to rescue a bunch of astronauts marooned by a solar flare. The opening scenes are quite promising, we really feel like this is a race into a great movie. The rest of the movie manages to grab the baton after a fantastic first leg and a solid handoff, and run into the infield, circle around for a while, then fall to the grass dizzy and breathless.

Turns out we learn it wasn't a solar flare, it was the phoenix, a power that "created life in the universe" and "killed off a bunch of planets," "the most powerful force in the galaxy." Ok, for the record, with our telescopes we can see about a trillion galaxies, and there's good reason to believe that we can only see a miniscule fraction of the entire universe, so the most powerful force in our galaxy is like the biggest grain of sand on Pensacola beach. However, this is a great chance for Hollywood to explain all of life and the universe with a mysterious force that is contained more or less happily within a single person's body, so no need for God or confusing evolution, it's all just a little golden cloud. Which, among the trillions of galaxies and hundreds of billions of planets in our galaxy, just happens to be hanging out around Earth. Kindof like Jesus coming back and appearing on some nearly uninhabited south pacific island with no radio or internet, using his god-like powers to play pool with a bunch of coconuts. 500 years ago Copernicus taught us that Earth is not the center of the universe; 100 years ago Hubble taught us that we're just a little tiny backwater in a huge universe. Marvel hasn't managed to get the news.

There's a lot of hand-wringing of the various X-Men as they try do decide if they can rescue Jean or need to kill her; this is really rather hilarious, as it seems she now controls the force that created life in the universe, so it really doesn't seem like a bunch of weirdos in latex and neoprene are going to be successful taking her down. Also, just for comic relief, there's some aliens also chasing after her with a confusing agenda, but they're pretty sure if they kill all Jean's friends and beat the crap out of her, then she'll help them achieve their goals.

If you've watched the previous eleventy-fourteen X-Men films, you can at least keep up with who's feeling what, since you sorta know the back stories. If this is your first X-Men film, well, good luck. We also get the obligatory shot at men, when Raven points out that lately it's always the women saving the day so maybe they should be called the X-Women.

Magneto is dragged into the film halfway through, and predictably changes sides a couple of times. Eric hears that Jean killed Raven and he goes ballistic - 15 years ago in the first X-Men films Raven was his sweety, but in this film his emotions just appear fully formed. Sorta like life in the Marvel universe. Speaking of predictable, there were several moments where I finished the characters lines before they did.

Overall, it feels like Fox just hurried a film into and out of production to cash in before Disney takes over completely. There's really nothing about this film that's polished or insightful. The first three films wrapped up a series and were pretty good. They were followed by a reboot, when we got First Class and Days of Future Past, which were pretty decent. Apocalypse more or less collapsed under its own weight; this film never seems to get off its knees to its feet, so the collapse at least happens from a pretty low height.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:07:57 PM by marklawrence »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »
The Accountant 2016

Ben Affleck is an autistic accountant assassin. JK Simmons is a treasury agent who's determined to track him down.

As an action movie, this one is somewhat predictable - the usual corporate bad guys going after everyone who might know what they've been up to, hiring a bunch of thugs as killers and enforcers. The good guy, who also happens to do accounting for drug lords and work the occasional assassination job, is out to protect himself and the innocent bookkeeper who uncovered the money laundering issues. If you're looking for a shoot-em-up this is a decent movie.

What's different is that there are several autistics in the movie - as one reviewer put it, Rainman meets Batman. The depiction of autistics is surprisingly accurate. I've recommended the movie to several autistics, and all loved it. On the autistic side of the movie there are several surprising plot twists and turns. The various reviewers, all being NTs, of course miss the significance of this, thinking it's just more weird stuff about weird people. If you want a peek into Sheldon's world, the best I know is Rainman, The Accountant, and the book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. The book, btw, is about the real "young sheldon." It's far more realistic than the stupid TV comedy.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
"The Accountant" is definitely worth seeing. My wife was a Special Ed teacher, and she also appreciated the depiction of autism. The "self stimming" (stimulating), which can take many forms. But once again, the autistic person had a particular skill. This would be more of an Asberger's Syndrome child. But I've heard that it's been decided to simply streamline the spectrum. Another case of academics having to find something to do when they run out of ideas. Just like education- every few years, the "new, best way" is implemented, only to be replaced a few years later with a much different "new, best way." Just teach the kids, have a lot less mandatory state compelled testing and move along. In Texas, the state school board doesn't have a single educator or former educator on the it. Just a bunch of political hack idealogues who want to impose their view of the world on the upcoming generation.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
Men in Black International

It's impersonation month. While Will Smith was trying (unsuccessfully) to be Robin Williams, Chris Hemsworth (Thor) was trying (unsuccessfully) to be Will Smith. With Tessa Thompson (Valkyrie) trying (unsuccessfully) to be Tommy Lee Jones. This movie lacked the imagination, spontaneity and humor of the previous three. If this had been the first in the series, the series would have died a quick and painless death. What we have is lazy screenwriting, lazy directing, and mostly lazy performing. Tessa Thompson tries desperately to carry the film, but ultimately fails.

I don't think I can even recommend this when it comes out on DVD.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »
Real Genius (1985)

Comedy. Val Kilmer plays Chris Knight, a burned out 20 y/o genius with a severe attitude. This is Sheldon breaking bad. He's finishing up his degree at "Pacific Tech," 'cause they weren't allowed to call the school Caltech. William Atherton, the bureaucrat from Ghostbusters (Yes Mr.Mayor, it's true, this man has no dick) plays the bad guy here - he needs Chris to build him a 5 megawatt laser so he can give it to the military to vaporize bad guys from space. About half the stuff in the movie actually happened. Including gaming the sweepstakes, 'cept in the real world it was McDonald's they cleaned out. The lasers were all done by my friend Dan Erwin, so all the laser stuff is real, and all the laser talk is real. If you care. The interior shots at pacific tech, that's all pretty much real too. The part with the gorgeous girls from the beautician college coming by for a party, yah, that stuff never happens at Caltech.

My girlfriend couldn't stop laughing.

Just see it.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »
First man

A pretty good film. No where near as good as Apollo 13, but pretty good. Thev story of the path to the first moon landing.

One of the parts that I found interesting is that my father's generation, the generation raised in the depression who fought WWII, was raised to show no emotion, and sure enough the astronauts showed very little emotion. It was clear that this drove their wives nuts.

Not a great film for young kids, they would think it dragged

Just watched this. Good movie. Amazing to me that they were able to go to the moon with 1960's technology. You Iphone can probably do more things than the computer on the LEM. Just amazing how many things nearly went wrong on those missions.
“What’s going on out there”

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »
First man

A pretty good film. No where near as good as Apollo 13, but pretty good. Thev story of the path to the first moon landing.

One of the parts that I found interesting is that my father's generation, the generation raised in the depression who fought WWII, was raised to show no emotion, and sure enough the astronauts showed very little emotion. It was clear that this drove their wives nuts.

Just watched this. Good movie. Amazing to me that they were able to go to the moon with 1960's technology. You Iphone can probably do more things than the computer on the LEM. Just amazing how many things nearly went wrong on those missions.

"First Man" was about just that- the first man to set foot on the Moon. It was more about Neil Armstrong and his struggles as a human being, and less interested in the landing itself. There was criticism that the planting of the flag was not a prominent part of the film. This wasn't an exercise in jingoism- it was about the problems one man had with dealing with his emotions. Though the parts about the lead up and ultimately the trip to the Moon were gripping and really, really scary. My first thought about the movie- best space film since "Apollo 11".

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2019, 11:48:16 PM »
First man

"First Man" was about just that- the first man to set foot on the Moon. It was more about Neil Armstrong and his struggles as a human being, and less interested in the landing itself. There was criticism that the planting of the flag was not a prominent part of the film. This wasn't an exercise in jingoism- it was about the problems one man had with dealing with his emotions. Though the parts about the lead up and ultimately the trip to the Moon were gripping and really, really scary. My first thought about the movie- best space film since "Apollo 11".

Do you mean Apollo 13?  I agree.
“What’s going on out there”

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2019, 11:16:18 PM »
Spider man: far from home

I was a bit less than Luke warm on captain marvel, and I'm Luke warm on the new Spider-Man. The first half of the film was a bunch of high school drama, but not even close to as good as if John Hughes had done it. The second half shows mysterio appear as a good guy, then, out of the blue, he had a scene where he all but talks straight to the camera and explains that he's all lies and secretly a bad guy. They might as well have had Ryan Reynolds put on his red leather and talk to the camera. Crummy writing. Lazy writing.  They even have an excuse, they had to wrap up the plot lines from endgame but they weren't allowed to read the script. I guess you can't write a good movie if you can't first read the script from a different movie. Then the last act is pretty good, the movie finishes well. Finally.

Personally I think marvel is losing it. The next couple of movies will be key, they're going to have mostly all new people, characters I've never heard of, and they're gong to have to catch my attention. We'll see.

I watched it with my girlfriend who had not seen a marvel movie before and I found I had to explain a lot to her. The previous five spider man movies were not like that, they stood alone.

I think they peaked on the last Thor movie, its been accelerating downhill since. They had an excuse for screwing up captain marvel, it had to be all diverse And feminist and lbgtqfryhsw#@&%. How do you write a good interstellar super hero movie when you also have to explain to all us deplorables how stupid and fascist we are? But Spider-Man? How do you screw up Spider-Man?

Imho.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:24:55 PM by marklawrence »