November 12, 2019, 02:22:26 AM

Author Topic: Mark's Movie Reviews  (Read 23953 times)

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
Re: Mark's Movie Reviews
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »
THE HAPPYTIME MURDERS (review from Rotten Tomatoes)

They may look like the puppets your kids see on Sesame Street, made of colorful felt with sweet faces and kind, googly eyes. But be warned: The characters in The Happytime Murders aren't here to teach your kids their ABCs and 1-2-3s. They're too busy having s*x, drinking in hot tubs and starring in p*rn videos. And they're brought to you by the letter F, over and over again. That's the gimmick in this extremely hard-R comedy: Seemingly wholesome characters take part in unspeakably unwholesome activities. It's a vaguely amusing idea and not much more. The Happytime Murders is a one-joke movie, and that joke gets beaten into the ground (as do several characters, people and puppet alike). Among the human actors in this raunchy film-noir send-up are Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph, and Elizabeth Banks, all of whom are game for anything.

Hmmm, disappointing, was looking forward to this one. I liked the previews. Guess I’ll wait for cable on this one.

Finally watched this one on cable with the wife. Made it about 1/2 way through, a few chuckles but mostly stupid. Had a lot of potential but mostly a waste of time.
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
Just saw "Crawl". Some on line reviewers had said it was a "good summer popcorn movie". Nope. Moron father in Florida decides it's a good idea to fix up his old family house which is in the path of a Category 5 hurricane. On a lake. Full of alligators. People have seen this storm coming for days, evacuation has been ordered, but moron father decides "Nope, this is a good time to do some repairs." So moron daughter decides to drive into the worst of the hurricane because she wants to check up on dad, who's not answering his phone. Then she gets an even better idea: stop by dad's apartment and bring the family dog! Then ignore emergency workers who are preventing people from going into the area. Yup. Morons. SPOILER: The dog is the only one of the three who comes out unscathed, though it does get wet. "Crawl" was crap.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2019, 06:56:21 AM »
Mark, have you stopped watching movies? I miss your insight. thumbsup)
And God so loved the Green Bay Packers, He reached forth his mighty hand and stamped his initial upon the sides of their helmets!--Lombardi 3-16

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
Sorry, movie pass died and I'm back to running my business, plus working on starting another. I'm not watching a lot of movies these days. Those I am watching are older, like The Big Lebowski which I had heard about for decades, but which left my flat. Those Coen brothers, they're quit hit or miss.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:21 PM »
Sorry, movie pass died and I'm back to running my business, plus working on starting another. I'm not watching a lot of movies these days. Those I am watching are older, like The Big Lebowski which I had heard about for decades, but which left my flat. Those Coen brothers, they're quit hit or miss.

You didn't like "The Big Lebowski"? All I can say is, "Dude...."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2019, 12:27:46 AM »

They seem to be loved or hated.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #171 on: October 09, 2019, 05:22:12 AM »

Sorry to hear that but I wish you great luck and huge success with your ventures. :)

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
Anyone seen “El Camino”? The wife and I loved Breaking Bad. I thought the movie was OK but not great.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2019, 06:44:19 AM »
Toy Story 4:

More adventures of Woody and Buzz and Bo Peep.

Woody has moved on to a new child. Bo Peep is living on the streets. Buzz is, well, Buzz. Kid makes a stupid little toy out of a spork in kindergarten, loves the toy, the toy is completely brain-damaged and gets lost. Buzz has a big adventure getting the toy back including running into some surprisingly scary Chucky dolls.

I thought it was derivative, not nearly as good as the first (or second), but your grandchildren will like it. However, they prefer watching a movie they've already seen 14 times, so I don't know why you're looking for something new.

Pixar could make a movie about leaves and it would get good review.

Actually, there was a movie made about leaves, and it did get good reviews. The Blair Witch Project.
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.” -- John F. Kennedy.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2019, 05:52:48 AM »
Joker:

I expected this would be a strange movie. It was far stranger than that.

We meet Arthur Fleck, a hopeless and rather disturbed man. He's some indeterminate age, perhaps 30 or so, lives with his mother, and is slightly employed as a clown for hire. His mother is not an invalid, but he makes her dinner in bed and gives her baths. Later we learn that her mental health is even worse than his. His mother told him she had an affair with Thomas Wayne, so Arthur's father is a gazillionaire but he lives pennyless in a slum.

In some alternate Batman stories it's Bruce who gets killed in the alley and his father Thomas turns into Batman; a very dark, angry and homicidal Batman. You could easily see this movie's Thomas Wayne turning very dark, he's not a nice guy.

Several scenes in this movie exist only in Joker's mind, but they're not flagged in any way as psychotic breaks. You'll have to stay on your toes and keep in mind that Arthur is a complete weirdo and no decent, reasonably cute self-respecting single mom is gonna fall for him.

Unsurprisingly Arthur winds up in a downward spiral which is shared by the entire city of Gotham - a spiral caused by a few rich people who manipulate money and the system to the detriment of everyone else, not completely unlike what Wall Street is doing to the US today. By the end of the film Gotham is consumed by riots and Arthur has become the Joker, with several twists and turns along the way. Predictably Robert Di Niro winds up one of his victims, one of the best points of the movie imho - Di Niro would never work again if it were up to me, the man is a complete pig.

Joaquin Phoenix is simply marvelous in this very dark and very weird character study.

Will you like it? I think, like me, when it's all over you'll say, "Wow. What was that?" Definitely not for kids. And not a date night movie. And not a superhero movie - there's no heroes here and no super powers, no one on the side of good and decency, no happy ending. This is a story about the fall of a city due to the unbridled greed of a privileged few, led on the way down by a psychotic self-destructive madman.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:06:04 PM by marklawrence »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2019, 08:52:56 PM »
Ad Astra

Brad Pitt is an astronaut who is unable to feel emotions. He's estranged from his wife, Liv Taylor (who, imho, could make a dead man sit up and beg). Brad's father (Tommy Lee Jones) went off on a mission to Neptune, abandoning Brad and his mother 13 years ago. Brad was told he was dead. Tommy (Dad) is out there "past the heliopause" looking for signs of ETs. (The heliopause is considerably further out than the orbit of Neptune, about four times as far.) Tommy gets high-res pictures of lotsa planets orbiting other stars, which, seriously, those pictures are never going to happen from this far away. And he concludes, based on a few dozen pictures, that there's no other life in the universe - a trillion galaxies, a hundred billion planets in each galaxy, but a few dozen photos and he knows now that we're alone, alone, alone.

But now it turns out Dad isn't dead, he's still out there. His little anti-matter power unit threatens the entire solar system, 'cause that's how we build space ships, they get motors that can destroy entire planets. Makes you wonder what Chinese nuclear missiles can do.

Brad hops around the solar system and eventually makes his way to Neptune where he confronts dad and sets things straight.

I guess this is an interesting psycho-drama. I didn't particularly find it so, but I'm admittedly a bit blind to some of these themes. It's told against a backdrop of moon bases which have pirates that try to hijack travelers, and mars bases that have weird politics, and space ships that bop around the solar system like little ubers taking you home from the airport, with no regard whatsoever for orbital mechanics or energy conservation or any of those trivial little things. It's gonna take Elon about 18 months to get to Mars, and that's waiting a year or more for a favorable planetary alignment. Brad and crew do it on demand in 19 days. It takes several years to get to Neptune, Brad does this in a few days too. Bottom line: the science in this picture completely sucks. Even the Enterprise can't destroy Earth from Neptune's orbit. But Tommy's experiment can. (I gotta say, with anti-matter floating around in these quantities, I gotta assume that Israel is a big hole in the desert, but we never hear about that either.)

I found the movie unengaging and annoying. In fairness Brad does a good job of acting, Tommy does too, Liv just stands around and looks good but she's pretty exceptional at that. Perhaps you won't find it annoying, but that still leaves unengaging.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2019, 08:47:13 PM »
Hobbs and Shaw

A spin off from Fast and Furious. Hobbs -  Dwayne Johnson  - and Shaw - Jason Statham - reprise their roles from Fast and Furious. They're called up, there's a synthetic virus that will kill everyone in the entire world. It's an airborn version of Ebola. Idris Alba is the bad guy, he's a computer enhanced soldier who wants the virus to kill off most of humanity and replace us with something better - borg, I guess. The plot borrows heavily from various Mission Impossible films - the cute girl shoots the virus into herself to help get it away from the bad guys. Idris has a motorcycle that's more or less a transformer and he's basically spiderman - 3x reflexes, 3x strength, that sort of thing. Plus the computer display in his eyes that keeps him on top of everything. And he's got his own armored attack helicopter. Hard to see how he fails.

It's a typical F&F movie, lotsa action, fast cars, everybody has a nitrous button, destruction left and right, and in the end family beats out everything.

We wind up on the island of Samoa, Hobb's home, where preparations are made for a few days for unarmed civilians to hold off a massive attack from the heavily armed bad guys to get the girl and the virus. So they also steal from The Seven Samurai / The Magnificent Seven. At least they're stealing from good films. Too bad they don't steal the excellent sound tracks too - it's been 60 years and we can all still hum along with The Magnificent Seven theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDB7GMnbUQ

I guess it's a good film, if you like this sort of thing; a bit mindless and predictable, but then they say in all of literature there's only seven basic plots, so how much can you expect?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:32:41 PM by marklawrence »

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
Batwoman

A new series on the CW, it seems to be happening in the Flash universe. Batman is chasing some bad guys; a mom and her twin daughters Kate and Beth Kane are run off the road. Batman hooks up a cable to save the car and pulls Kate out the back window, then he has to go after the bad guys. Cable fails, car drops into river, mom and Beth are gone.

Forwards 13 years, Kate is all growed up. Bruce Wayne and Batman disappeared 3 years ago, no one knows why. Kate turns out to be Bruce's cousin. She gets into Bruce's office, finds the entrance to the Bat cave, meets Luke Fox (son of Lucien, MIT engineer type who makes all the kewl toys) and next thing you know she's Batwoman with a bullet proof suit.

Then it turns out Beth didn't die, lots of plot complications, Beth is now Alice, a psycho bad guy. The shows so far mostly revolve around Beth / Alice's drama. Which is getting old. We need some serious villains - Joker, Riddler, someone with some meat on their bones. But then I guess Kate has to go after a few lightweights to learn her craft? And fix the lost sister / evil stepmom / clueless father thing. 'Cause, you know, girls gotta fix stuff, everyone has to get together for xmas and drink eggnog and be happy.

Oh, and Kate is a lesbian. 'Cause. Gotta work that in somewhere. A few scenes of cute girls kissing, I guess that's supposed to teach me tolerance or acceptance or something. Girls like to kiss? I dunno, it seems gratuitous to me and doesn't move the show or the plot along; and as far as watching girls kiss, I just don't have much reaction to it.

We just finished episode 4. You can stream the first four episodes on CWTV.com. They haven't really gotten traction yet, I'm not sure where the show is going and clearly neither are the producers or writers. I'm also not sure it's very good. Flash started out a bit thin and picked up, maybe this will too. Or maybe, like Supergirl, they'll get all wrapped up in this LBGTQRSTUV stuff and forget they're making a show about comic books. Or like Agents of Shield or Arrow it will just get too weird. Or maybe I'll get bored and never find out. The ratings indicate there's a lot of people out there who wanted to see Batwoman, but got bored quickly with As The Bat Turns - on present ratings trends they've got about 8 more shows to come up with something more compelling.

ps: in case you're not really into comics, Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, Batwoman is Kate Kane, two completely different characters, two completely different stories. Batgirl comes to a rather distressing end, but that's not material to this show.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:12:26 PM by marklawrence »

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
Hobbs and Shaw

A spin off from Fast and Furious. Hobbs -  Dwayne Johnson  - and Shaw - Jason Statham - reprise their roles from Fast and Furious. They're called up, there's a synthetic virus that will kill everyone in the entire world. It's an airborn version of Ebola. Idris Alba is the bad guy, he's a computer enhanced soldier who wants the virus to kill off most of humanity and replace us with something better - borg, I guess. The plot borrows heavily from various Mission Impossible films - the cute girl shoots the virus into herself to help get it away from the bad guys. Idris has a motorcycle that's more or less a transformer and he's basically spiderman - 3x reflexes, 3x strength, that sort of thing. Plus the computer display in his eyes that keeps him on top of everything. And he's got his own armored attack helicopter. Hard to see how he fails.

It's a typical F&F movie, lotsa action, fast cars, everybody has a nitrous button, destruction left and right, and in the end family beats out everything.

We wind up on the island of Samoa, Hobb's home, where preparations are made for a few days for unarmed civilians to hold off a massive attack from the heavily armed bad guys to get the girl and the virus. So they also steal from The Seven Samurai / The Magnificent Seven. At least they're stealing from good films. Too bad they don't steal the excellent sound tracks too - it's been 60 years and we can all still hum along with The Magnificent Seven theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XDB7GMnbUQ

I guess it's a good film, if you like this sort of thing; a bit mindless and predictable, but then they say in all of literature there's only seven basic plots, so how much can you expect?

The wife and I saw this one last month. You are correct, it is what it is, two hours of escapism. But it starred the Rock, AND J Stratham so my wife had to see it! ;D

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2019, 01:03:02 PM »
Batwoman

A new series on the CW, it seems to be happening in the Flash universe. Batman is chasing some bad guys; a mom and her twin daughters Kate and Beth Kane are run off the road. Batman hooks up a cable to save the car and pulls Kate out the back window, then he has to go after the bad guys. Cable fails, car drops into river, mom and Beth are gone.

Forwards 13 years, Kate is all growed up. Bruce Wayne and Batman disappeared 3 years ago, no one knows why. Kate turns out to be Bruce's cousin. She gets into Bruce's office, finds the entrance to the Bat cave, meets Luke Fox (son of Lucien, MIT engineer type who makes all the kewl toys) and next thing you know she's Batwoman with a bullet proof suit.

Then it turns out Beth didn't die, lots of plot complications, Beth is now Alice, a psycho bad guy. The shows so far mostly revolve around Beth / Alice's drama. Which is getting old. We need some serious villains - Joker, Riddler, someone with some meat on their bones. But then I guess Kate has to go after a few lightweights to learn her craft? And fix the lost sister / evil stepmom / clueless father thing. 'Cause, you know, girls gotta fix stuff, everyone has to get together for xmas and drink eggnog and be happy.

Oh, and Kate is a lesbian. 'Cause. Gotta work that in somewhere. A few scenes of cute girls kissing, I guess that's supposed to teach me tolerance or acceptance or something. Girls like to kiss? I dunno, it seems gratuitous to me and doesn't move the show or the plot along; and as far as watching girls kiss, I just don't have much reaction to it.

We just finished episode 4. You can stream the first four episodes on CWTV.com. They haven't really gotten traction yet, I'm not sure where the show is going and clearly neither are the producers or writers. I'm also not sure it's very good. Flash started out a bit thin and picked up, maybe this will too. Or maybe, like Supergirl, they'll get all wrapped up in this LBGTQRSTUV stuff and forget they're making a show about comic books. Or like Agents of Shield or Arrow it will just get too weird. Or maybe I'll get bored and never find out. The ratings indicate there's a lot of people out there who wanted to see Batwoman, but got bored quickly with As The Bat Turns - on present ratings trends they've got about 8 more shows to come up with something more compelling.

ps: in case you're not really into comics, Batgirl is Barbara Gordon, Batwoman is Kate Kane, two completely different characters, two completely different stories. Batgirl comes to a rather distressing end, but that's not material to this show.

One question. And this has been an issue with the different Batman movies and the actors that play him. Does her body armor have nipples? ;)