November 20, 2018, 01:22:49 PM

Author Topic: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.  (Read 4466 times)

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.
« on: March 05, 2018, 12:17:53 PM »
Well something new to talk about.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/6e9d5e9b-b094-3319-bfbb-5250e6c078f8/ss_packers-expected-to-meet-with.html

He he is motivated would be one hell of an addition to the DL.  Glad Gute is at least kicking the tires.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »
Here is the key paragraph from the article, as far as I'm concerned:

However, Wilkerson’s productivity after signing his lucrative new deal plummeted. He registered eight sacks over the past two seasons, a third less than his total from 2015. That drop-off contributed to the Jets’ decision to sever ties with Wilkerson this offseason.

That is a major, glaring red flag. He was a force with Pettine, played his best during his contract year, and became a shell of himself once he got the big bucks. But it won't happen this time, right? The comparison to Peppers is a joke. Peppers always played up to or outperformed his paychecks. A better comparison is Albert Haynesworth. Pay me, and I'll cash my checks, have a bad attitude and play hard once in a while. So, the obvious solution is to get him to sign an incentive laden contract. Which he won't. Why should he? Some team will sign him for a big guarantee, he'll be a disappointment. Whether its the Packers or not remains to be seen.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »

However, Wilkerson’s productivity after signing his lucrative new deal plummeted. He registered eight sacks over the past two seasons, a third less than his total from 2015. That drop-off contributed to the Jets’ decision to sever ties with Wilkerson this offseason.

That is a major, glaring red flag. He was a force with Pettine, played his best during his contract year, and became a shell of himself once he got the big bucks. But it won't happen this time, right? The comparison to Peppers is a joke. Peppers always played up to or outperformed his paychecks. A better comparison is Albert Haynesworth. Pay me, and I'll cash my checks, have a bad attitude and play hard once in a while. So, the obvious solution is to get him to sign an incentive laden contract. Which he won't. Why should he? Some team will sign him for a big guarantee, he'll be a disappointment. Whether its the Packers or not remains to be seen.

It is a risk Ricky for sure.  Not sure the Haynesworth comparison applies.  I don't know the man but Pettine does. 

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:56:11 PM »
A move like this won't be a surprise.  I think Gut is going to make an early splash to rally Packer nation and show that he is ready to bring the organization back into the 21 century of NFL free agency.  With the fact that Pettine knows him and what he can offer, that takes away some of the hesitation for me.  When motivated, this is a guy that played at a high level and made plays.  Imagining a line with Wilkerson, Clark, and Daniels on it makes the DL the strength of the defense.  I say go for it and get it done Gut.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »

Agree with much of this, but any FA DL is going to be somewhat of a risk.  Im sure Pettine has spoken to Gute about Wilkerson at length.  Maybe this is the guy Pettine wants?  Maybe this is the system Wilkerson wants and is comfortable playing in?  Dont know.   You also have to remember its the Jets he was playing for, not exactly contender city.  Let the Packers do their due diligence.   If its a fit, great!!  if not, on to the next FA.

The goal is to fix the defense.  Banking on rookies isnt going to do it.  You need some vets.                   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:05:18 PM by The GM »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »

It is a risk Ricky for sure.  Not sure the Haynesworth comparison applies.  I don't know the man but Pettine does.

That's a key point score.

Without Pettine's presence, and input, I doubt GB has very much...........if any...........interest in pursuing Wilkerson.

If Pettine believes he can motivate Wilkerson (again), then I say it's worth a shot.

Give him a prove it contract. He's getting to a point in his career where, while the money is still important, making a major contribution to a team that could get him "a ring" might be just as important, and would also raise his market value when he hits FA again next year.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »
I'll be very interested in Gute's approach to this.  Is he a "Don't let him leave town without a contract" type or the typical TT approach  "low ball him, let him make the tour around the NFL, and approach him in three weeks".  This will be interesting if the Packers are serious.   

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »
Obviously the guy is talented when he wants to be. Pettine, though, coached him before he signed his big contract. After he cashed in, he apparently lost interest. The comparison to Haynesworth? He played well, but not spectacularly, until his contract year. Then, he showed what he could do when he was motived (by FA and getting a huge contract). He got paid in Washington, and became the poster child for "caveat emptor". I get the same feeling with Wilkerson. Could Pettine motivate him to play at a high level? Maybe. The question becomes, how many million are you willing to bet he'll be the player he can be once he gets paid? He flamed out in New York. But he'll catch fire in GB? Maybe. I'm sure the Packers are well aware of his history, and will do their best to cover their bets. This could be another Peppers level signing; or it could be another Joe Johnson signing.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
Came off of a broken leg in 2016 and had many injuries in 2017.  Was benched a few times for being late to team meetings.  Guy says he wants to play for a winning organization.  Doesn't sound like Haynesworth to me but he is a risk none the less.  We'll see what his contract demands are.  Probably too high for the Packers to swallow.  Give them credit for doing their due diligence. 

Will point out they said the same things about Woodson when we signed him.  That worked out rather nicely.  Who knows Ricky no one has  a crystal ball.  If the Pack manages to get him into the fold I'll be excited until proven otherwise. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
My question is how big of a fire do you have to light under this guy?  Will he be motivated playing for a contender?  Can Pettine get it out of him?  I hear a lot of "When he wants to play" in his effort eval. I wouldnt mind signing him with incentives, but we need to have an "out" for a guy like this if he doesnt pan out. Not sure how feasible that is, but it would be nice. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
Interesting/surprising that Packers are even interested enough to invite him for a visit. 

DL doesn't seem like on of the more glaringly needy position groups. 

*IF* they did sign him, and he turned out to be very good; plus *IF* Adams stepped up and emerged as a good player; then you could have a really good position group. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
I would think the Packers would want this determined one way or the other by next weeks FA signing period.  If he doesnt go to GB, they can start on other FAs they might be interested in.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
If we're going to sign Aaron we're out of money and there will be no FAs in GB. Unless we deal with Jordy, Cobb, Matthews first.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Ptpaq

• Rookie
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
Don't love it, to many other areas of need at linebacker and secondary while our Defensive Line is a strong point already, while also very young and promising.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
If we're going to sign Aaron we're out of money and there will be no FAs in GB. Unless we deal with Jordy, Cobb, Matthews first.

Agree.  Don't see the need to do Aaron now.  Especially if he and his agent want to play hardball.  Guy missed most of last season with an injury.  Also he is under contract for 2 more years.  Furthermore we can franchise him for another 2 years.  That means the Packers in essence own his rights for another 4 years.  Takes him to what?  39?  If he is about the team and agrees to a friendly deal that is one thing.  If it is I want to be the highest paid player in the NFL that's another.  Packers have the leverage not Aaron.  The goal is to win another Superbowl not to appease Aaron or his agent. 

Love Aaron but love the Packers more.  Just sayin...