June 25, 2018, 02:38:32 AM

Author Topic: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.  (Read 3560 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
Love Aaron but love the Packers more.  Just sayin...

Semi-famous story: Giants WR  catches the ball, breaks a tackle, runs about 50 yards for a TD. Crowd is screaming. WR walks up to Parcells, "Look coach! They love me!"  Parcels: "Don't kid yourself, son. They love the jersey colors."
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »
Ted Thompson is still with the Packers. He probably is advising against any signing beyond veteran minimum. If he has any say in this visit... Mr. Wilkerson will have his choice of one item off the McDonalds Dollar Menu and a cup for water.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
Ted Thompson is still with the Packers. He probably is advising against any signing beyond veteran minimum. If he has any say in this visit... Mr. Wilkerson will have his choice of one item off the McDonalds Dollar Menu and a cup for water.

Cheap shot.  TT was judicious with FA.  He also was a fine GM.  The fact that he accepted a lesser role within the organization speaks volumes as to his character as well.  I for one am ecstatic that he is still on board.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »

Ya, don't be that guy! Travel the high road, their is less traffic on it.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

Always go with the $1 McChicken sandwich.  Its a money selection that hits the spot.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
I get couple of hamburgers and share them with my doggies. We each wind up with about a third of a burger. Sometimes I cheat and get a side salad with southwest dressing, which I eat indoors before they see it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:29:29 AM by marklawrence »

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 04:41:40 AM »
I get couple of hamburgers and share them with my doggies. We each wind up with about a third of a burger. Sometimes I cheat and get a side salad with southwest dressing, which I eat indoors before they see it.

It is about being wise with the money, not cheap.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 04:57:59 AM »

The thing is that I m that guy. The truth is the truth. I have been around a long time and need no lecture on the high road. TT didn't go for value in FA, he went for Extra Value off the dollar menu when it came to FA. Hopefully the current GM goes the route of value and nothing less.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 05:31:47 AM »

It is about being wise with the money, not cheap.

I'm wearing the same pants size I wore in high school, over 40 years ago. 32" waist.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:08:55 AM by marklawrence »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »

The thing is that I m that guy. The truth is the truth. I have been around a long time and need no lecture on the high road. TT didn't go for value in FA, he went for Extra Value off the dollar menu when it came to FA. Hopefully the current GM goes the route of value and nothing less.

With the crystal ball of hindsight in your possession, please share with us these FA moves that should have been made.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »

Woodson and Peppers didn't sign for vet minimum. Neither did Pickett. Judicious use of FA, rather than throwing big bucks at "names" who are more interested in a big payday, and then fade into "I got paid, so who cares?" That is the big question about Wilkerson- will he be another Woodson/Peppers, or will he be the next Joe Johnson? And how many million are you willing to gamble he'll want to go all out to win a SB? Because vet niminum or an incentive laden contract isn't going to get the job done. For those who are interested, here are his career stats:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilkMu00.htm
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
Ricky is right, with any FA (your own included), the following questions always apply: 
1.  How much are you willing to pay? 
2.  How much are you willing to gamble?  (There are varying uncertainties with many players)
3.  How confident are you that the player will be good (Woodson/Peppers/Pickett) versus bad (Bennett/Joe Johnson)? 

Those are really scouting and personal-evaluation questions.  You need smart guys in Gute+MM to make those decisions wisely. 

It might seem that in past, TT was willing to pay and willing to gamble to resign guys we already had (Nick Perry, etc.); but he's been reluctant to gamble on outside guys.  I think when it's a guy you've had, MM feels like he knows the effort and professionalism he'll get.  Obviously with Bennett, they didn't.... 

With Wilkerson, Pettine should already know. 

To some degree, I think the Packers have perhaps suffered a little by being so insular in both scouting and coaching.  They don't have any scouts who have worked in any other systems, I don't think.  They had Capers for forever, and usually promote internally within coaching. 

I think we can see the advantage of bringing in Pettine from outside; he knows some other players and has some other personal connections.  And perhaps some other ideas. 

I kinda suspect that having more guys from other organizations gives more insight into personalities and players and coaches and coaching techniques etc. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
Ricky is right, with any FA (your own included), the following questions always apply: 
1.  How much are you willing to pay? 
2.  How much are you willing to gamble?  (There are varying uncertainties with many players)
3.  How confident are you that the player will be good (Woodson/Peppers/Pickett) versus bad (Bennett/Joe Johnson)? 

Those are really scouting and personal-evaluation questions.  You need smart guys in Gute+MM to make those decisions wisely. 

It might seem that in past, TT was willing to pay and willing to gamble to resign guys we already had (Nick Perry, etc.); but he's been reluctant to gamble on outside guys.  I think when it's a guy you've had, MM feels like he knows the effort and professionalism he'll get.  Obviously with Bennett, they didn't.... 

With Wilkerson, Pettine should already know. 

To some degree, I think the Packers have perhaps suffered a little by being so insular in both scouting and coaching.  They don't have any scouts who have worked in any other systems, I don't think.  They had Capers for forever, and usually promote internally within coaching. 

I think we can see the advantage of bringing in Pettine from outside; he knows some other players and has some other personal connections.  And perhaps some other ideas. 

I kinda suspect that having more guys from other organizations gives more insight into personalities and players and coaches and coaching techniques etc.

Agree, Im really on the fence with this guy.  Former pro bowler, who plays when he wants to, late to meetings.  Is he a player, or some guy going through the motions for a paycheck.  As I mentioned before we need a way out if this goes South.  As Jimmy Johnson  and Bill Parcells would say.  "If I have to motivate you, you won't  be here long".

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Vince Lombardi "If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:05 PM »
It might be that he's over the hill or just a lazy slug.

Maybe he got complacent with the big contract, or maybe he lost his desire/drive because the NYJ's have been a dumpster fire for so long.

Sometimes getting cut becomes a wake-up call to certain players. It embarrasses their ego's, and make no mistake, they all have huge ego's. It's in those cases where their desire/drive to play becomes rekindled and you get the better player instead ot the lump-on-a-log player.

I have no idea where Mo fits in with this. But that's what Gute/Pettine get paid to figure out.