June 18, 2018, 08:06:11 AM

Author Topic: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.  (Read 3433 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Wilkerson to meet with the Pack.
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »
A young guy like cousins doesn't want to be franchised because they don't get the security of a long term contract against injury and the chance to bind up some serious wealth. Aaron has had both of those. He might like being franchised, which comes with higher pay.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 07:08:10 AM »
A young guy like cousins doesn't want to be franchised because they don't get the security of a long term contract against injury and the chance to bind up some serious wealth. Aaron has had both of those. He might like being franchised, which comes with higher pay.

Agreed, some fans get paranoid that the Packers are going to upset the MVP over his future contract(s). In all likelihood the fans are more concerned then he and his agent are. Rodgers is in a win-win, any of the scenerios are probably just fine with him.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
So, we're talking about seasons where Rodgers will turn 37 and 38, and worrying about paying him now so we don't get him upset and have him bolt for his age-39 Super-Bowl season when he becomes a FA?  I'm not sure that's such a problem.... 

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2018, 07:40:32 PM »
So, we're talking about seasons where Rodgers will turn 37 and 38, and worrying about paying him now so we don't get him upset and have him bolt for his age-39 Super-Bowl season when he becomes a FA?  I'm not sure that's such a problem....

Remind everyone again how old Tom Brady was when he won his last Super Bowl?

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
If we're going to sign Aaron we're out of money and there will be no FAs in GB. Unless we deal with Jordy, Cobb, Matthews first.

Agree.  Don't see the need to do Aaron now.  Especially if he and his agent want to play hardball.  Guy missed most of last season with an injury.  Also he is under contract for 2 more years.  Furthermore we can franchise him for another 2 years.  That means the Packers in essence own his rights for another 4 years.  Takes him to what?  39?  If he is about the team and agrees to a friendly deal that is one thing.  If it is I want to be the highest paid player in the NFL that's another.  Packers have the leverage not Aaron.  The goal is to win another Superbowl not to appease Aaron or his agent. 

Love Aaron but love the Packers more.  Just sayin...

Best player in the league at the most important position deserves to be the highest paid player in the league, if only temporarily. Name me a scenario in the next 5 years where Green Bay wins a Superbowl without Rodgers.

We have him under contract for 2 years and can franchise him for 2 more.   Whether he deserves to be the highest paid player is irrelevant.   Furthermore if we don't surround him with some talent we won't win another Superbowl regardless.

You don't franchise tag Aaron Rodgers two years in a row. Ask Washington how that worked out for them and ask Kirk Cousins how he feels about it.

I would hope it wouldn't come to that.  Now is the wrong time all I am saying.  Also all of you are saying well he's the best in the league.  Well Brady, Manning, and Breeze are all pretty damn good.  Goff looks to be a real fine QB.  Aaron just broke his collar bone and had 13 screws.  When he did play it was clear he was not the same.  He came back early yes I know.  Want to see him play to his old form.  Haven't seen it yet.  Aaron is a great player there are too many questions to hand over a massive contract that could potentially saddle the organization for years to come.  Back on topic Wilkerson is now going to visit Washington.  Guess he's not liking any of the offers...

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
If we're going to sign Aaron we're out of money and there will be no FAs in GB. Unless we deal with Jordy, Cobb, Matthews first.

Agree.  Don't see the need to do Aaron now.  Especially if he and his agent want to play hardball.  Guy missed most of last season with an injury.  Also he is under contract for 2 more years.  Furthermore we can franchise him for another 2 years.  That means the Packers in essence own his rights for another 4 years.  Takes him to what?  39?  If he is about the team and agrees to a friendly deal that is one thing.  If it is I want to be the highest paid player in the NFL that's another.  Packers have the leverage not Aaron.  The goal is to win another Superbowl not to appease Aaron or his agent. 

Love Aaron but love the Packers more.  Just sayin...

Best player in the league at the most important position deserves to be the highest paid player in the league, if only temporarily. Name me a scenario in the next 5 years where Green Bay wins a Superbowl without Rodgers.

We have him under contract for 2 years and can franchise him for 2 more.   Whether he deserves to be the highest paid player is irrelevant.   Furthermore if we don't surround him with some talent we won't win another Superbowl regardless.

You don't franchise tag Aaron Rodgers two years in a row. Ask Washington how that worked out for them and ask Kirk Cousins how he feels about it.

I would hope it wouldn't come to that.  Now is the wrong time all I am saying.  Also all of you are saying well he's the best in the league.  Well Brady, Ryan, and Breeze are all pretty damn good.  Goff looks to be a real fine QB.  Aaron just broke his collar bone and had 13 screws.  When he did play it was clear he was not the same.  He came back early yes I know.  Want to see him play to his old form.  Haven't seen it yet.  Aaron is a great player there are too many questions to hand over a massive contract that could potentially saddle the organization for years to come.  Back on topic Wilkerson is now going to visit Washington.  Guess he's not liking any of the offers...

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
Drew Brees has had a series of contentious contract stand-offs with the Saints (and in line for another) yet he's been putting up numbers year after year and currently still there.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
Back to Wilkerson!!

I think NO has bigger fish to fry now that the Vikings are interested in prying Brees out of NO.

KC's cap situation isn't as good as GB's. They are currently sitting with $14M in cap space.

WASH has 18 UFA's (plus a bunch of RFA's), and $31M in cap space.

Not sure who else is jumping on the "Mo Tour", but if Gute needed to create cap space to compete for MO, he could add $15M-$20M in short order.