June 25, 2018, 02:37:28 AM

Author Topic: Packers trade Damarious Randall to Cleveland  (Read 3592 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Packers trade Damarious Randall to Cleveland
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
I don't understand this trade. Randall was developing into a very decent CB, and Kizer, well, a) sucks and b) is useless. We need CBs and DEs, so why are we trading them away?
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
B
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
I am also stunned and confused. I think Randall has a bright future and we need all the help at CB we can get. And I never felt desperate for a backup QB. Confusing.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 04:49:02 PM »
Interesting move, not surprised to see a deal with Cleveland. Surprised by the pieces involved. I think we could see a few more Packers players headed that way in the coming monthes, with all the former Packer front office there they should know the Packers players well.

Maybe TT wasn't kidding at last years draft about how much they liked Kizer.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:51:50 PM by RT »

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
Do we now have the 1st pick on day 3 (again) ?

In my mocks I was always trying to move up from 4-14 and 5-13 to grab better players so that makes some sense to me.
I found I had so many picks that trading up made sense.

Not sure the 40  or so points gained on the draft chart are that useful in making moves in Rd1 or 2.
They could now spend a 2nd or 3rd to move up and look for the earlier 4th/5th round picks to make up some slack.

It's a deep class at DB as the combined proved.
Can't see a Randall replacement on the roster at this time, so I expect one in the draft.

Did Randall's outburst earlier in 2017 have anything to do with this trade?

Not sure I like this trade as it sits but I already feel better about QB2 situation. Heard the staff liked Kizer last year and there
are few QBs with the mobility/arm desired by GB after the first four or so are gone.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
Do we now have the 1st pick on day 3 (again) ?

In my mocks I was always trying to move up from 4-14 and 5-13 to grab better players so that makes some sense to me.
I found I had so many picks that trading up made sense.

Not sure the 40  or so points gained on the draft chart are that useful in making moves in Rd1 or 2.
They could now spend a 2nd or 3rd to move up and look for the earlier 4th/5th round picks to make up some slack.

It's a deep class at DB as the combined proved.
Can't see a Randall replacement on the roster at this time, so I expect one in the draft.

Did Randall's outburst earlier in 2017 have anything to do with this trade?

Not sure I like this trade as it sits but I already feel better about QB2 situation. Heard the staff liked Kizer last year and there
are few QBs with the mobility/arm desired by GB after the first four or so are gone.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Cleveland traded the 1st pick in the 4th round to Miami for Landry. That would mean that the Packers are swapping 4th rounders at the end of the 4th.

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »
According to Acme Packing, the Packers now have the first pick in the 4th round, as well moving up several spots in the 5th round. Also don’t have to decide what to do with Randall’s last year of his rookie contract and that “5th year thing.”

Deshon Kizer was only 21 in his rookie season, and was forced into action for the Cleveland Browns. That’s hardly a recipe for success! Obviously the Packers feel they can develop the 22 year old. That written, I’m of the “wait and see” opinion on Deshon Kizer AND it will be interesting to see how the Packers utilize their bolstered draft picks.

I did read a couple online articles that reported the Packers really liked Kizer in last year’s draft, and when the Browns acquired Tyrod Taylor from Buffalo the Packers saw an opportunity to get out from under the impending Randall decision on his 5th year contract.

Here’s the entire article from Acme Packing:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/3/9/17102744/packers-browns-trade-damarious-randall-deshone-kizer-swap-picks-in-fourth-and-fifth-rounds-nfl-2018

Now I’d look for the Packers to grab Josh Jackson in the 1st round of the draft, if he’s still available. That written, he may be their first pick with or without Damarious Randall in the fold.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:34:35 PM by JQ »

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
Wow.  Wow wow wow wow. 

Randall is a dope, but I was reading him as their most talented corner.  So, the weakest aspect of the team has now gotten weaker.  Wow wow wow. 

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »
We all wondered what Gutekunst would be like as GM. So, apparently he isn't afraid of making some rahter bold moves. Getting rid of a possibly promising CB to get a (hopefully) improved backup for AR? Intetesting. And improving the draft position of the Packers in later rounds? Is this to get more ammo to move up, or to be in a better draft position? That will probably depend on how the draft shakes out. But, this means that apprently the Packers are going to be rather serious in FA in getting some help in the defensive backfield. Because depending on current players to make a significant leap while also staying healthy is asking a lot. But, to sign those guys (probably two) will take more cap space than they have now. So expect some players (the Big Three-CMIII, Cobb, Nelson) to either be cut or restructured soon. What does this mean? Quite simply, Gutekunst has started putting his stamp on the team. And there will be more surprises in the coming days. Count on it.

Oh, as far as FA CB's, here's a list. Some may be gone due to franchise or whatever, but this gives an idea of who is available:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018CB.php
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
I don't doubt that the Packers have thoughtful and informed reasons. 

But it's kinda disappointing.  Think it says that Packers thought poorly of Randall, and that either their game-evaluation and/or their off-field eval was more negative than I'd hoped.  (I'm an optimist/hoper, so I'd hoped that Randall's issues were not going to get in the way of emerging as a talented, good corner.   Think this clearly indicates Packers saw otherwise.) 

This may also be  more about MM than Gute.  Perhaps Gute is going to do what MM tells him to do.  MM doesn't like Randall, dumped.  (Kind of like with Sitton two years ago?  But age/health is kinda different.  HOpefully Herb Waters or Pipkens or some UDFA guy will step up as well in corner as Lane Taylor did in replacing Sitton.) 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:13 PM »

But it's kinda disappointing.  Think it says that Packers thought poorly of Randall, and that either their game-evaluation and/or their off-field eval was more negative than I'd hoped.  (I'm an optimist/hoper, so I'd hoped that Randall's issues were not going to get in the way of emerging as a talented, good corner.   Think this clearly indicates Packers saw otherwise.) 

This may also be  more about MM than Gute.  Perhaps Gute is going to do what MM tells him to do.  MM doesn't like Randall, dumped. (Kind of like with Sitton two years ago?  But age/health is kinda different.  HOpefully Herb Waters or Pipkens or some UDFA guy will step up as well in corner as Lane Taylor did in replacing Sitton.)

Bingo, I believe we may have a winner!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »

This may also be  more about MM than Gute.  Perhaps Gute is going to do what MM tells him to do.  MM doesn't like Randall, dumped. (Kind of like with Sitton two years ago?  But age/health is kinda different.  HOpefully Herb Waters or Pipkens or some UDFA guy will step up as well in corner as Lane Taylor did in replacing Sitton.)

I don't buy this scenario for a second. MM in charge, while Gutekunst is his puppet? No way. This is Gutekunst cleaning up some of TT's mistakes from the 2015 draft, which might go down as one of TT's worst. Gutekunst chooses the players. Does MM have inuput? Only as much as Gutekunst decides to give him. Expect some quick news on either cuts or restructuring very soon. And by soon, I mean this weekend.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »

I don't buy this scenario for a second. MM in charge, while Gutekunst is his puppet? No way. This is Gutekunst cleaning up some of TT's mistakes from the 2015 draft, which might go down as one of TT's worst. Gutekunst chooses the players. Does MM have inuput? Only as much as Gutekunst decides to give him. Expect some quick news on either cuts or restructuring very soon. And by soon, I mean this weekend.

The only people who really know are the ones in that room. But watching Gutekunst's presser from the combine was one of the stranger ones I've seen. Someone ask Gutekunst a question and MM comes in the room and hijacks the question in mid answer. This is part of it from ESPN.

It was at the combine last week when Gutekunst was asked about drafting the Packers' next quarterback. In the middle of his answer, coach Mike McCarthy entered the room.

“They’re talking about the next long-term franchise quarterback,” Gutekunst told McCarthy. “Like we’re worried about this franchise quarterback, right?”

McCarthy joked that, by then, he’ll be sitting on a recliner somewhere.

“I think what develops the next franchise quarterback is your quarterback room,” McCarthy said. “It’s your quarterback structure. Aaron Rodgers, I think he’s exceptional with what he passes forward. Because it’s all about passing forward. I can sit there -- now, my five-step drop is sweet because it’s technically correct -- but I guarantee you if Aaron does a five-step drop, they’re going to watch him and listen to his words as opposed to mine. That’s where development comes.

Actions speak volumes.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 05:34:54 AM »
 This was a good trade. The defense needs an overhaul, and it starts with Randall. Will Kizer be a good backup? I don't know. Will he be better than Hundley? He can't be any worse. Kizer started as a 21 year old. The Packers also traded up in the 4th and 5th rounds, which is huge. The 2015 draft is pretty much a bust.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »
Interesting, Mark.  Seems the retrospective is that MM disliked and didn't respect the guy, and teammmates as well.  Consensus.

I think the new management, MM is a big ego and a big voice.  Not sure that MM is running everything, but I think it would make sense for GM to listen and consider what the coach is telling him. 

Kind of sad that on a team that is so lacking in talented athletes, one of the most talented defenders is such a jerk that they want to downgrade their talent at premium-position-of-need. 

I always wonder about internal decision-making.  We talk about that being TT's draft.  But Gute was the director of college scouting.  Did Gute's reports fully appreciate the personality-poison that came with Randall?  Or was that perhaps as much Gute's whiff as it was TT's? 

Also has an eerie shadow re drafting for need.  That was totally a need-driven draft, with corners one and two; and now Gute's set himself up for another desperately need-based draft, with edge and corner already desperate, and now even more so. 

Back when Packer roster was strong, I believed in BPA-drafting, and thought that weaker teams that did need-based drafting were punishing themselves.  I didn't really appreciate how once your roster gets so weak, how very difficult it becomes to NOT draft based on need.  But we've been very much in that situation for a while now.  O well.