December 16, 2018, 08:24:40 AM

Author Topic: Packers trade Damarious Randall to Cleveland  (Read 4498 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Packers trade Damarious Randall to Cleveland
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 06:05:28 AM »
I don't understand this trade. Randall was developing into a very decent CB, and Kizer, well, a) sucks and b) is useless. We need CBs and DEs, so why are we trading them away?

Probably has to do with him clashing with the coaching staff.

With the swapping of picks the Packers definitely come out ahead in this trade. Green Bay has a good chance of landing one of the top CBs in the draft at 14, and Kizer has the chance at developing into a trade worthy QB. After last year I figured they would go for a veteran QB, but they opted to stick with their youth philosophy.

Not sure Randall would of ever been better than serviceable as well, so I'm not vexed by trading him. I think it is a sign of things to come, and I like the change so far.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 07:00:36 AM »
Interesting, Mark.  Seems the retrospective is that MM disliked and didn't respect the guy, and teammmates as well.  Consensus.

I think the new management, MM is a big ego and a big voice.  Not sure that MM is running everything, but I think it would make sense for GM to listen and consider what the coach is telling him. 

Kind of sad that on a team that is so lacking in talented athletes, one of the most talented defenders is such a jerk that they want to downgrade their talent at premium-position-of-need. 

I always wonder about internal decision-making.  We talk about that being TT's draft.  But Gute was the director of college scouting.  Did Gute's reports fully appreciate the personality-poison that came with Randall?  Or was that perhaps as much Gute's whiff as it was TT's? 

Also has an eerie shadow re drafting for need.  That was totally a need-driven draft, with corners one and two; and now Gute's set himself up for another desperately need-based draft, with edge and corner already desperate, and now even more so. 

Back when Packer roster was strong, I believed in BPA-drafting, and thought that weaker teams that did need-based drafting were punishing themselves.  I didn't really appreciate how once your roster gets so weak, how very difficult it becomes to NOT draft based on need.  But we've been very much in that situation for a while now.  O well.

Excellent post craig.

None of us really every know if a team drafts a player for need or if they were just lucky and the BPA married up with need at that moment, but history of results tells us that many times teams have reached for need (the QB position gives us the most glaring examples of this).
Often the drafts that turnout the best are the ones where fans ask 'why would they draft player X , we are good a position Y'. The reason you draft player X is because he is the best player, period.
If the Packers in the draft select someone other than a Edge or CB with their first pick you will know that player was the BPA. An Edge or CB may marry up and be the BPA, but we will never know if they truly were or not. I can only hope that the new GM has the introspective and inner strength to draft the BPA regardless of the internal pressures that he will face.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »
There are several things going on with this deal.  First off - the moving of Randall has got to be in response to his antics from last season and here was a chance to get something for him.  I think the big part of the deal is the exchanging of picks for the Packers to get to the top of the 4th and 5th rounds.  Those are valuable picks. 

Now, Kizer - is he a better version of Hundley?  I think he is a better playmaker with his feet even though that was Hundley's strength.  Many of his throws were late and that caused int's.  He at least was able to look for a 2nd or 3rd option on routes where Hundley is not to that point. 

I think Hundley has seen his last day in Green Bay.  I gotta feeling most people are not too upset by that.

I think this also clears the way to bring House back and most likely, that #14 pick becomes a CB. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »
There are several things going on with this deal.  First off - the moving of Randall has got to be in response to his antics from last season and here was a chance to get something for him.  I think the big part of the deal is the exchanging of picks for the Packers to get to the top of the 4th and 5th rounds.  Those are valuable picks. 

Now, Kizer - is he a better version of Hundley?  I think he is a better playmaker with his feet even though that was Hundley's strength.  Many of his throws were late and that caused int's.  He at least was able to look for a 2nd or 3rd option on routes where Hundley is not to that point. 

I think Hundley has seen his last day in Green Bay.  I gotta feeling most people are not too upset by that.

I think this also clears the way to bring House back and most likely, that #14 pick becomes a CB.

This very well could be the classic 'addition by subtraction' scenerio, time will tell.

You are assuming the Packers are moving up to the first picks in the 4th and 5th rounds, but Cleveland traded the first pick in the 4th round to Miami for Landry. The swap of 4th rounders is probably the 133rd for the 123rd overalls at the end of the 4th round. Not nearly as attractive. The 5th's could also be at the back end of the 5th round.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »
The real question is, do you trust Gutekunst knows what he's doing? This is not some guy who was brought in from outside. He's been with the Packers for 20 years. He knows the ins and outs, has seen and evaluated previous drafts and moves, and has certainly thought to himself, "I'd have done that differently:, or "If I was GM..." So, he's made his first moves, and he is certainly rattling the cage a bit. New brooms and all that. Again, expect some more fireworks soon.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
FYI, Landry was traded for Cleveland's 123rd pick and a 7th round pick in 2019.

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
The Packers where done with Randall, plain and simple. “How can you depend on him?” an NFL executive in personnel said. “Takes himself out of games. Never played 16 games. He’s got all kinds of ability. He can be a slot or play (outside). But you can’t trust him. He won’t play. He can look great or he can look like a scrub.”“I’ll tell you what I told Damarious,” the coach said a day later. “He needs to focus on himself … He probably played the best football of his career but then he didn’t play the last two games. He needs to go home and self-evaluate and clean his own house.”Turn the page. Kizer is also flawed;AFC scout: “He’s a pure Millennial.  He’s caught up in being more of a quarterback image than being a quarterback. He is the classic boom or bust. If he goes to the right spot with the right coach, he’ll ascend. They’re going to have to get him to focus on football. I honestly think this guy would do better in a small market. The quarterback coach and coordinator could cultivate him. Then I think he’ll take off. If he goes to a big market he’ll enjoy everything else that comes with the position as opposed to focusing on the position … In terms of arm strength, athleticism, talent, intelligence, he’s the highest end guy. At the same time, he’s also the one with the most flaws. The one position in the building you don’t want to worry about whether he’s going to be focused on football is quarterback. It cuts with a double-edged sword with this guy.”AFC scout: “He’s a boom or bust guy. He is a first-round talent. He’s extremely talented. It’s all the other things. Boy, at times he looks bad. They won four games. You look at that team. They’ve got players. There’s no way they should win four games. It was because of this guy, the quarterback. He was so bad in the first half against Stanford they benched him … He’s athletic. He has a strong arm. He’s got a nice release. He throws a nice deep ball. He can move in the pocket. He’s not a runner. You question his patience and judgment. He’s streaky and inconsistent. He’s the most physically gifted of all the quarterbacks. Second round. He should have gone back (to school).” There ya go, two flawed players. The draft swap was the best part of the trade.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
FYI, Landry was traded for Cleveland's 123rd pick and a 7th round pick in 2019.

I hope you are correct, if you have an official link that would be awesome. I have found links to both, but nothing official.

First their is this release,
 No. 101: Cleveland → Miami (PD). Cleveland traded their fourth-round selection (101st) as well as their seventh-round selection in 2019 to Miami in exchange for wide receiver Jarvis Landry.[TRADE 11]

But also this,
Miami Dolphins Jarvis Landry was traded Friday afternoon and they got a fourth-round pick (123rd overall) in the coming draft and a seventh-round pick in the 2019 draft.

It would be nice to know what is real. Would be a big plus to have the first pick in the 4th round.

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
The info that I got is from ESPN.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
The Browns have to decide if they want to pick up Randall's option (about $8 million) for 2019 by May 3.

There's a big part of this. We don't have a spare $8m. For a locker room distraction who's coming off hand surgery.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
A couple of notes on this trade:
Gotta give Kizer some time, he played without a true offensive coordinator last year.  Hes got the tools and his development  over the coming years will determine the success/failure of this trade.

Stay tuned for part II of Damarius Randall vs Josh Gordon.  Little did they know theyd be teammates and face each other every day now.  Watch for a quick change of tune by both of them. Lol.

i wonder how much Wolf/Highsmith knew of the Packers possible interest last year in Kizer could have played a role in this? 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:02:33 AM by The GM »

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
Why would anyone hate this trade?

Our backup QB is horrible, and we get one with much more potential.  Plus, can you imagine being the QB last year on the Browns and put up good numbers.  C'mon guys.  Kizer has more value as either a back up or future trade pawn then Huntley ever will. 

Randall wasn't going to be signed/extended after this year anyhow and all of you would be bitchin' when we would let him walk with "getting nothing".  Again, he was cancer for leaving a game.  I mean....who the heck leaves a game in the NFL. 

The switch of draft picks are very cool !!!!!!!!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
I think we are seeing a little of Pettine's input/influence in this deal.

Pettine's defense will primarily use press-man coverage, and that's not Damarious Randall. He's not a physical player, which is required to play press-man. He's more of an off-man/Cover-2 type player.

Davon House and Kevin King fit better into the physicality/type of CB that Pettine will want in his CB's. So it won't surprise me to see House make a return engagement this season. Or, they could be setting their sites on another FA cornerback of similar abilities as House. Rashaan Melivin (Colts) comes to mind as one possible target (6-2/196), and Philbin is familiar with him. It may also be why Richard Sherman is loosely mentioned in the conversation as well, especially since Pettine did consulting work for SEA last year.

Here's some info I dug up on the subject.

In the same vein, Pettine’s system isn’t a total departure from Dom Capers’. It’s still a 3-4 and it will still rely on the blitz. Maybe the biggest change is more press-man coverage. And that could be the biggest issue. The Packers’ cornerbacks aren’t really known as physical.
The guy who was good at that role, LaDarius Gunter, was released during the season. The other guy who can work in that role is Davon House
, who will be a free agent. So if like me, you hate watching the Packers’ corners line up seven yards off a receiver, well, this will be interesting to watch.
https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01/people-really-love-mike-pettine/

Here's another interesting tidbit regarding the type of athlete who can play press-man effectively.

https://joedanielfootball.com/how-you-can-play-press-man-coverage-with-average-athletes/

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
We all know we needed a better backup than Hundley going into 2018. Could easily see Rodgers down a game or 2 due to the eventual nagging injury  (sprains, bruises, etc.)

What is the cap cost of a NFL backup in 2018 compared to Kizer's rookie deal. That may shed some favorable light on this trade.

To get White or Falk in the draft, your looking at a mid 4th to mid 5th. So not needing to draft at that position keeps a mid round pick for other needs or opportunities.

Now we just need to trade Hundley and a pick for a capable DB and we're a little better off than we were before. Spied somewhere  there was a deal in the works that failed.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:12:26 PM by Fargofootball »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
This trade is a bit surprising but I do not think its lopsided.

Kizer will be an improvement over Hundley.  And we needed that pretty bad.

I like the improved draft slots.  And what it really means is that we have to draft a press CB in the first two days.

BTW, I would also draft a third string QB too.