September 20, 2018, 02:27:19 AM

Author Topic: Packers GM's first transactions  (Read 1122 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Packers GM's first transactions
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
Ron Wolf trades for Brett Favre.

Ted Thompson drafts Aaron Rodgers.

Now wait, wait for it....

Brian Gutekunst trades for DeShone Kizer.

Let that sink-in a little.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: Packers GM's first transactions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
I was having a nice March. Nice, moderate weather, my building permits coming along. . .

Thanks, RT.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
No one knew who Favre was when he was traded from Atlanta. Remember, he was the backup to the "Majik Man". He was also a wild card, both on and off the field. It took Holmgren years to shape him into a real QB. As far as AR, remember this was a shocking move. Why draft a QB with the first pick when the Packers already had Favre? There were other needs. And don't forget the fan reception once AR replaced Favre. Kizer could be a good backup for AR. And remember, there are some on here who are highly doubtful as to how healthy and effective he'll be after his latest surgery. We all wanted a better backup QB. Now the Packers achieve that, and we want to bury Gutekunst under a barrage of negativity.

Is there a plan in place? Of course. Do we know what it is? Absolutely not. Why don't we see how this all plays out before we jump to hasty conslusions?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
 twocents) I don't think it was a bad trade.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:10:17 AM »
(jmo) If the Packers have already decided they do not want to pick up Randall's 5th year option at the end of 2018, then this is getting what value you can for Randall, before he is simply released.  I suspect Gute has less to do with this than McCarthy - I think McCarthy wanted him gone (as did some players in the locker room), so Gute complied.

Perhaps the person most at fault here is the person that drafted him, and  Randall himself.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
Old adage comes to mind.

It's not how you start........................It's how you finish.

;)

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
No one knew who Favre was when he was traded from Atlanta. Remember, he was the backup to the "Majik Man". He was also a wild card, both on and off the field. It took Holmgren years to shape him into a real QB. As far as AR, remember this was a shocking move. Why draft a QB with the first pick when the Packers already had Favre? There were other needs. And don't forget the fan reception once AR replaced Favre. Kizer could be a good backup for AR. And remember, there are some on here who are highly doubtful as to how healthy and effective he'll be after his latest surgery. We all wanted a better backup QB. Now the Packers achieve that, and we want to bury Gutekunst under a barrage of negativity.

Is there a plan in place? Of course. Do we know what it is? Absolutely not. Why don't we see how this all plays out before we jump to hasty conslusions?

Agree.  Some had Kizer rated ahead of Deshaun Watson in last years draft.  The kid has tools, and this deal could end up being a steal in a few years.  Im not making any predictions but this needs to play out.   The kid was a rookie thrown to the wolves in Cleveland with little around him and he didnt even have a true Offensive Coordinator.   Get him some structure, and have learn the offense at a reasonable pace.  Hell, the kid was like 22/28 with 3 tds vs us (granted it was Capers D).  Good move IMO, this kid just needs to mature and slow the game down.  He should have stayed at ND another year, but we'll see.