June 23, 2018, 05:03:17 AM

Author Topic: My View of this Draft  (Read 694 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
My View of this Draft
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
In surveying the info on 2018, these are some of the things I have concluded.

The strength of this draft is in the following areas:

On offense:

QB
RB
OL

On defense:

Safety
OLB
ILB
CB

It is a really good QB, and safety draft.  There are two exceptional guys at safety, Fitzpatrick and James, who we will not be able to get since they will be gone by our time.  Which tells you how good they are.  But to show you how good  of a class it is, how about Troy Apke?  The guy ran a 4.34 forty--for a safety!  That is fast for a CB.

At QB, IMO there are about six tier one prospects.  Again, we will not be close to getting one of them simply because we really do not need one right now.  But I would like us to get one of the tier two or tier three guys e.g. Kyle Lauletta. 

If we go OL in round one, again, we will not get Nelson who is one of the best guard prospects in years.  But I would settle for Will Hernandez to replace Smith.

Anyway, that is just a brief preview about this draft.  IMO it is an above average overall draft and I am glad we have a lot of picks.  And that Kizer trade helped us go up on the second day.  To the point we can trade upward if we wish and I hope we do.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:09:04 PM by Gregg »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: My View of this Draft
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:04:26 AM »

On offense:

QB
RB
OL

I agree QB is strong, and RB is very strong at the top and decent the rest of the way. On the OL I'd call the tackles  a small step below average (but still better than 2017). They have some huge guys there this year, but the depth is just a little lacking. Interior linemen are maybe a step avove average, with a couple of excellent prospects at the top.

The strongest group (possibly apart from QB) isn't mentioned - WR. While only Ridley is a sure fire first rounder, the quality depth there is tremendous, Cain, Sutton, Chark, Washington, D.J.Moore, Gallup, Miller, St.Brown, Pettis, Burnett are all likely to go in rounds 2-3, and whether you want tall guys (I haven't even mentioned Ateman, Lazard or Cobbs) or fast guys, what you want is there. TE is said to be poor this year, and it doesn't have a marquee player, but Gesicki, Goedert, Hurst, Thomas, Andrews, are enough to fill out what is often a thin position group.

On defense:

Safety
OLB
ILB
CB

OLB is an odd case. There are several pass rushers clumped together in the mid/late first and early second round. Many of them have elite height. Once you get pass that bunch (Chubb will go top 5 and Edmunds probably will too, leaving Landry, Davenport, Key, Vander Eash, Carter, then it tails off. All the action is likely to take place in the first 40 odd picks. Corner is almost the opposite of OLB. Only one or two guys are surefire round one (Denzel Ward certainly, Fitzpatrick also counts if you want him to play slot corner), but the position is deep.

Here is a link to USA today, on the strength of the draft at various positions. I only searched for this and read it after I wrote my comments above, but they broadly agree. https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/20/2018-nfl-draft-ranking-every-position-group/  While the proof of this draft's quality lies three years down the road, I'd call it an average draft, a little thin in obvious difference-making guys (not so many elite WRs, CBs, OTs that often make up the early picks in many drafts) but with decent depth overall.

I don't expect the Packers to take an O lineman in round 1 or 2, due to the 'Big 4' needs (imo) OLB, WR, CB, TE. I am hoping for a small trade down in round one (from 14 to pick 18 or19) because I am hoping for another pick in the top third of round 3. I would also like to see some lower picks packaged to allow upward moves in the 2nd/3rd round. Four picks in the first three rounds can address each of the Big 4 needs. I would also hope to see a functional veteran corner added, after losing Randall.

While any draft depends on who is available when your turn comes, I'd like to see OLB, CB, WR, TE, addressed in that order.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:22:31 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
The depth in the DL and WR groups are fairly strong this year.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »
The depth in the DL and WR groups are fairly strong this year.

I agree. I forgot to mention the DL in my post above.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:58:29 AM »

On offense:

QB
RB
OL

On defense:

Safety
OLB
ILB
CB

It is a really good QB, and safety draft.  There are two exceptional guys at safety, Fitzpatrick and James, who we will not be able to get since they will be gone by our time.  Which tells you how good they are.  But to show you how good  of a class it is, how about Troy Apke?  The guy ran a 4.34 forty--for a safety!  That is fast for a CB.

At QB, IMO there are about six tier one prospects.  Again, we will not be close to getting one of them simply because we really do not need one right now.  But I would like us to get one of the tier two or tier three guys e.g. Kyle Lauletta. 

If we go OL in round one, again, we will not get Nelson who is one of the best guard prospects in years.  But I would settle for Will Hernandez to replace Smith Who's Smith? Do you mean Evans?

Anyway, that is just a brief preview about this draft.  IMO it is an above average overall draft and I am glad we have a lot of picks.  And that Kizer trade helped us go up on the second day.  To the point we can trade upward if we wish and I hope we do.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »
Excuse me, that is correct,  I meant Evans.

I don't agree about the WR and DL prospects.

IMO, they are simply average.  And there is not one really extraordinary WR prospect out there.  On the DL, the top level taps out early at both DT and DE.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:51:30 AM by Gregg »

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
Excuse me, that is correct,  I meant Evans.

I don't agree about the WR and DL prospects.

IMO, they are simply average.  And there is not one really extraordinary WR prospect out there.  On the DL, the top level taps out early at both DT and DE.

As I said, the strength of the WR class is in rounds 2 and 3, there never was going to be a Julio Jones.

On the DL, well let us compare DTs from the last draft to (potentially) this years.
I counted the linemen listed as DT or NT last year. They were (rounds 1 to 5),  0,2,3,4,1 - a total of 10.
This year, I looked at the ratings on NFL.com to indicate where DTs will go. Using ratings to determine round, they are 5,1,3,5,3 - a total of 17.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:01:19 PM by OneTwoSixFive »