December 18, 2018, 09:28:37 AM

Author Topic: Thompson: seven years of failure  (Read 2216 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
Re: Thompson: seven years of failure
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »
This article hit the last six seasons of Ted Thompson. Aaron Rodgers covered up a lot of holes. I would complain about Ted for years on this site, guys like CPK1994 would defend him, even saying he was as good as Ron Wolf. Ted is NOT as good as Wolf was. Now the team has to fix all the holes that Ted left. The defense needs to be rebuilt. Please don't say that it isn't that bad, it's bad when the other team scores at 100% in the redzone! The team needs help at WR, TE and OT. Yes, the new GM has a lot of work to do.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Let us put it this way:

For a team that does not have a lot of CAP space, we seem to have a lot of problem areas.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
We're not one player away.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
Let us put it this way:

For a team that does not have a lot of CAP space, we seem to have a lot of problem areas.

The Seahawks whose defense runs or ran circles around ours is cleaning house.  We should at least get rid of mediocrity. Randall was a start.

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
Interesting.  I think the key word to the whole piece is in the last paragraph - arrogant.  I think Ted Thompson was arrogant in his belief that he felt that he could pull these un-drafted free agents out of places no one else was going and get 4-5 of them onto the roster each year.  And really, this then lead to an arrogance of the entire organization - from the head coach to the President.  Once in a while MM would make some random statements about improving the roster, but most of the time he would have some excuse or reason why the team failed to capitalize the opportunities it has had.

The gaps in the roster are major right now.  TE and CB are major holes and WR - RT - MLB are not too far behind.  And if Jahari Evans and Morgan Burnett leave, add in Guard and Safety to the list. 

The draft misses were all pretty much predictable.  It was almost like TT would go out of his way to make a pick that would go against what others thought he should do.  How many times did he reach up a take a guy a round ahead of what the players grade was?  Each year there are several examples. 

2014 got HaHa, Adams, and Lindsley - but after that - misses. 
The 2015 draft set the team back with Randall and Rollins. Neither had the high grades to be picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds and most teams didn't have them that high on their boards.  After that - not much - mainly misses. 
The 2016 draft got Kenny Clark - but after that?  A lot of marginal guys. 

We could go through the years and find a ton of misses.  Guts has to do better. 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
Interesting.  I think the key word to the whole piece is in the last paragraph - arrogant.  I think Ted Thompson was arrogant in his belief that he felt that he could pull these un-drafted free agents out of places no one else was going and get 4-5 of them onto the roster each year.  And really, this then lead to an arrogance of the entire organization - from the head coach to the President.  Once in a while MM would make some random statements about improving the roster, but most of the time he would have some excuse or reason why the team failed to capitalize the opportunities it has had.

The gaps in the roster are major right now.  TE and CB are major holes and WR - RT - MLB are not too far behind.  And if Jahari Evans and Morgan Burnett leave, add in Guard and Safety to the list. 

The draft misses were all pretty much predictable.  It was almost like TT would go out of his way to make a pick that would go against what others thought he should do.  How many times did he reach up a take a guy a round ahead of what the players grade was?  Each year there are several examples. 

2014 got HaHa, Adams, and Lindsley - but after that - misses. 
The 2015 draft set the team back with Randall and Rollins. Neither had the high grades to be picked in the 1st and 2nd rounds and most teams didn't have them that high on their boards.  After that - not much - mainly misses. 
The 2016 draft got Kenny Clark - but after that?  A lot of marginal guys. 

We could go through the years and find a ton of misses.  Guts has to do better.

The picks set up by TT and the bad record last year will offer every opportunity do better.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:36 AM »
In defense of TT we have been drafting really late every year.  Makes it a lot more difficult to add impact players.  Bust potential goes up exponentially when drafting so fricken late every year. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:39:18 AM »
Guti has been the head of college scouting for much or all of Ted's last 7 drafts. 

Ted relied on the draft and UDFA, college players, to build team talent.   

If we don't like team talent, it's because of the college players procured. 

If college scouting/drafting hasn't been very good, I'm a little nervous whether turning over the reins to the director of college scouting is going to solve everything? 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »
Interesting.  I think the key word to the whole piece is in the last paragraph - arrogant.  I think Ted Thompson was arrogant in his belief that he felt that he could pull these un-drafted free agents out of places no one else was going and get 4-5 of them onto the roster each year.  And really, this then lead to an arrogance of the entire organization - from the head coach to the President. 

I see the word arrogant applied to Ted all too often. There isn't an arrogant bone in Ted's body, haven't you been watching him all these years.
Arrogant definition: having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
If anything I'd say Ted comes over as rather humble, the opposite of arrogant.

If you changed that sentence to say that he was one of the strongest believers in getting the maximum from the draft and rookie FA,  compared to veteran FA additions, then I would agree with you.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
Interesting.  I think the key word to the whole piece is in the last paragraph - arrogant.  I think Ted Thompson was arrogant in his belief that he felt that he could pull these un-drafted free agents out of places no one else was going and get 4-5 of them onto the roster each year.  And really, this then lead to an arrogance of the entire organization - from the head coach to the President. 

I see the word arrogant applied to Ted all too often. There isn't an arrogant bone in Ted's body, haven't you been watching him all these years.
Arrogant definition: having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
If anything I'd say Ted comes over as rather humble, the opposite of arrogant.

If you changed that sentence to say that he was one of the strongest believers in getting the maximum from the draft and rookie FA,  compared to veteran FA additions, then I would agree with you.

I agree, arrogant is about the last thing TT is. I normally just roll my eyes and move on when this clickbait crap filled with misinformation comes along, but in an attempt to enlighten those living in the fishbowl I will share a few things.

First is chart on draft success in the last 15 years.

Historic Success Chart
The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

This is a link to Hall of Famer Bill Polian's draft success with the Bills. Those b*tching that TT only got 3 starters out of the draft 'but after that-misses', please read this and educate yourself a little.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/202422-hits-and-misses-how-successful-was-gm-bill-polian-in-the-draft-hint-not-as-good-as-youd-think

This is a link to the Packers draft choices under TT, it can be sorted by year, round, position. If a person takes the time to analysis this information with an open and objective mind in comparison to other teams and the success rate chart provided, you may realize just how big  of a pile of garbage the clickbait article is.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2005&year_max=2017&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&team_id=gnb&pos%5B%5D=qb&pos%5B%5D=rb&pos%5B%5D=wr&pos%5B%5D=te&pos%5B%5D=e&pos%5B%5D=t&pos%5B%5D=g&pos%5B%5D=c&pos%5B%5D=ol&pos%5B%5D=dt&pos%5B%5D=de&pos%5B%5D=dl&pos%5B%5D=ilb&pos%5B%5D=olb&pos%5B%5D=lb&pos%5B%5D=cb&pos%5B%5D=s&pos%5B%5D=db&pos%5B%5D=k&pos%5B%5D=p&conference=any&show=all&order_by=default

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
Sometimes it's just bad luck. Losing Shields, Sherrod suffering a career ending injury. Same with Finley. Collins. Perry not being able to stay healthy. Bulaga suffering from several season ending injuries. And then there are those who were on the Packers, but were cap casualties. Hayward is probably the most missed. Then Hyde. But seriously, one was often injured, the other got a very big contract from the Bills. You can't keep everyone. Like Tretter, who was good when healthy, but he couldn't stay healthy.

So, besides Bakhtiari and Taylor and Linsley (plus, hopefully Bulaga), that is 4/5's of a really good starting OL. Martinez looked better his second year. King looked decent, and if he can stay healthy could be a stalwart of the DB. Josh Jones is developing. Will Biegel or Fackrell or Gilbert make a leap? Going to count out all three? Hawkins has gotten some good notices, re-signing House might be a good idea. Add in Clark, with Lowry and Dial being decent rotational depth, and the defense is not that far away. A vet CB is pretty much a must.

So, while you can look at TT's failures and say his last seven years were awful, sure, if you choose to only look at the negatives. But put things into context, and though not the best record, he was not a complete disaster.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
In defense of TT we have been drafting really late every year.  Makes it a lot more difficult to add impact players.  Bust potential goes up exponentially when drafting so fricken late every year.

All the more reason to have been more involved in free agency!  thumbsup)

I agree about Ted not being arrogant. If anything he is reclusive.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
It must be remembered that Alonzo Hightower said, upon leaving GB for Cleveland, said at least here they'll listen to my opinions. Apparently it was not so easy to influence Thompson.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
Headstrong, maybe.

Arrogant, not.

Gute has a couple of good guys in John-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski. And I'd bet he listens/trusts their input.