November 20, 2018, 08:36:54 AM

Author Topic: What Free Agents to pursue?  (Read 8536 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: What Free Agents to pursue?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
I am interested on how the visit with Jordan Matthews went. I am not sure he fits quite with what the Packers are looking for, but he certainly is a talent.  I was  a proponent for Terrell Pryor but the Jets snatched him up.  Not sure about guys like Eric Decker or Jeremy Macklin and if they have anything left in the tank.  But a veteran guy makes a lot of sense

Why don't you think Mathews would fit in GB?

If they spent the money to bring him in, I would think it's more than just to see if he fits.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »
I hate Green Bay bringing in a FA that's been hurt. With the Packer's luck with injuries....they are bound to see limited time due to soft tissue or worst problems.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
Matthews should be interesting, I don't know too much about him. I would assume he would be a bandage for cutting Nelson.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »
Not sure I would classify Mathews as a bandage for Nelson.

His first 3 years in the league (with Philly) he was the league leader in yardage for WR's playing from the slot position.

It was the 2017 season where he got traded to BUF, and had some injury issues, that caused him to have a down season.

He's only 25.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
A deep threat to take the lid off is what the Packers need. Cobb is the slot guy.

Offline Divot

• All Pro
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
Matthews has same size and speed as Jordy, and is only 25.   I wouldn't say Jordy was a slot only.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2018, 06:38:05 AM »
A deep threat to take the lid off is what the Packers need. Cobb is the slot guy.

Matthews is also a slot guy - it's where he's been most effective.  I don't see Matthews as a replacement for Nelson.  With just Adams inked long-term, it's a given that the Packers will spend a Day 2 pick at WR unless another move is made.

Also worth noting, but probably not in a separate thread, is the Allen Robinson's choice came down to the Bears and Packers.  He cited that location to his hometown (Detroit) was somewhat a factor (albeit a small one) and tried to use that as justification for taking the Bears offer.  I would be surprised if the Packers offer was anywhere in the ballpark of what Chicago offered.  Both Green Bay and Chicago offer the same distance to Detroit (I doubt he or his family are driving to see him play, instead of taking a flight), while Green Bay offers the better QB and chance at winning.  Chicago could offer more money and the role as #1 WR, and he took their offer.  I think the "decision" is being overhyped.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
Matthews and Cobb could also both be on the field in their most comfortable spot in a 2x2 receiver set. Philbin used those in 2011 a lot.

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 02:06:26 AM »
In response to the original question, I would think they should go after Breeland and Reid.
The way the market is going for S there would be a pretty good chance that Reid could be signed for similar $$ that Burnett signed for in Pittsburgh.
With free agency on the horizon for HHCD, do we really want to draft a safety to start then possibly be forced to do it again? Jones seems to be at his best as a situational weapon and he could be used that way while still learning the nuances of the safety position.
Breeland to me makes a ton of sense. Young,proven boundary corner. He is recovering from a cut on his foot, not a blown knee or chronic back or shoulder issues.
These two moves would drastically alter the need aspect of the draft. Other than QB,K,P,and D-Line there isn't an area that does not need a talent infusion.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 01:06:34 PM »
The Packers may have lost out on Jordan Mathews, but there are still a couple of WR's that are unsigned free agents, and that peak my interest. Either of them could lessen the need to use a high pick on WR in this years draft.

1.) Brandon Coleman (N.O.).....Big target at 6-6/225 and long arms of 34". His catch radius is likely close to that of Jimmy Graham. While he's no burner, his 4.56 "40" time at the Combine isn't shabby for a man his size.

2.) Charles Johnson (CAR).......Packers tried to stash him after waivers, but he ran off to CLEV and then to MN for 3 years. Last year he was at CAR. At 6'2/215 and with legit 4.38 speed, he could be that target to take the top off the defense that so many seem to clamor about.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »
Charles Johnson already gone and signed to the Jets I believe.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
Charles Johnson already gone and signed to the Jets I believe.

>:(

I wish Over The Cap would do a better job of updating their info!

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 11:56:39 PM »
I just read across the bottom line on NFL network that Conner Barwin is doing a visit with a team. I didn't know he was a free agent again. I hope we at least do our due diligence.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:21 PM »
Eric Edholm

Verified account

@Eric_Edholm
Follow Follow @Eric_Edholm
More
I’m sure it’s out there now

But CB Davon House has agreed to terms with the Packers on a one-year contract, per source

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
Interesting that House is back again. Before he re-signed, I was thinking that the Packers HAD to draft at least 2 CB's, one early and one mid-to-late and I still think they might, but considering the depth at the position in this year's class, it makes it less likely that they'll reach for one.