September 19, 2018, 09:44:22 AM

Author Topic: What Free Agents to pursue?  (Read 8175 times)

Online craig

• HOF Member
Re: What Free Agents to pursue?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »
Yeah, hard to be confident a guy with so many injuries and who's been released so many times is going to be excellent. 

That said, "mediocre starter" previously is a pejorative statement, but perhaps shouldn't be? 

"Anti-awful" is a thing to consider.  "Mediocre starter" might potentially be a big step up, relative to Rollins, or Hawkins, or Pipken?  We might be so deep on the "awful" end of the continuum between awful and excellent, that guys who are "mediocre" or "below average" might still be massive improvements?   

I think the same goes for Jordy's spot:  we may be so far on the "awful" end with Geronimo/Davis/Yancey, that an almost-average guy might end up being a big boost?

Or maybe we're due for a terrific "+D" year?  Maybe with opportunity and a year of development, Pipken and Hawkins are ready to emerge as smart, surprisingly good corners?  Maybe Davis and Yancey are ready to emerge as pretty productive WR who make some tough catches and some explosive plays? 

Opportunity can be a huge thing.  With the CBA, guys almost never practice, and when they do it's against the Packers offense (some consider that kinda predictable) and the Packers receivers (some evidence that they are relatively slow).  Maybe once they get a couple of real games against real NFL-fast/quick receivers, Pipkens and Hawkins will pick things up fast and become not-too-bad? 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Two things....................

1.) Havent heard anybody here say that Melvin (if signed) would be the savior of the secondary. What he would be is a veteran presence in a very young and inexperienced secondary. Something they are currently missing. House was that piece last year..........too bad he was dinged up often and not used to apply his forte (press-man). I would see Melvin as a short term stop gap, if they can afford him. And I could still imagine Gute bringing House back again if his market is real soft. I would still fully expect Gute to draft a CB of the future early in this years draft. Changing to Pettines defense would likely transition smoother with at least one veteran at CB.

2.) Why any negativity on Yancy? Allison and Davis are entering their 3rd year in then league. We pretty much know what & what not they are. Yancy is a 1st year player who sat on the PS last year. How can he be considered on the low end of "awful" when he hasn't even played in an NFL regular season game yet? The knock on him lasy year was he yanked his hammy early in TC, fell behind and pressed to try and catch up. In the process he had a few drops. He got stashed on the PS for some "seasoning". I have friends who are big Purdue fans and they were totally gassed that GB drafted Yancy. They gushed about him. His senior year stats at Purdue were 49 catches/951 yds (19.41/catch!!)/10 TD's. He burned the Badgers for 2 long TD bombs when they played that year. He's a bigger/faster version of James Jones........IMO.
At Purdue's pro day, Yancey put some of those concerns to rest. The wide receiver ran a 4.46-second 40-yard dash, per the Pharos-Tribune's Mike DeFabo. He also completed 21 reps on bench, a 35.5-inch vertical jump and a 10'1" broad jump.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700388-2017-nfl-draft-unheralded-prospects-opening-eyes-at-pro-days

Offline BTIdaho

• Second String
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
Breeland from the Redskins failed his physical with the Panthers.  I wonder, depending on the reason for him failing, if the Packers might be interested.

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »
An infected cut on his foot. Must have been one hell of a cut.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
Needs skin grafts to fix it. How long does that take?

Offline BTIdaho

• Second String
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »
I would say about a month to heal.   He is a pretty good option and fits the press corner that we need .

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »
Weird.  If it's something that should be resolved in a month, and the season doesn't start till September, I wonder why they failed him and nixed is contract?   Glad to have another option to consider. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
...2.) Why any negativity on Yancy? Allison and Davis are entering their 3rd year in then league. We pretty much know what & what not they are. Yancy is a 1st year player who sat on the PS last year. How can he be considered on the low end of "awful" when he hasn't even played in an NFL regular season game yet? The knock on him lasy year was he yanked his hammy early in TC, fell behind and pressed to try and catch up. In the process he had a few drops. He got stashed on the PS for some "seasoning". I have friends who are big Purdue fans and they were totally gassed that GB drafted Yancy. They gushed about him. His senior year stats at Purdue were 49 catches/951 yds (19.41/catch!!)/10 TD's. He burned the Badgers for 2 long TD bombs when they played that year. He's a bigger/faster version of James Jones........IMO.
At Purdue's pro day, Yancey put some of those concerns to rest. The wide receiver ran a 4.46-second 40-yard dash, per the Pharos-Tribune's Mike DeFabo. He also completed 21 reps on bench, a 35.5-inch vertical jump and a 10'1" broad jump.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700388-2017-nfl-draft-unheralded-prospects-opening-eyes-at-pro-days

Yeah, would be awesome if a cat like that emerged.  Packers have been needing some +D guys to step up, but haven't often had that many who did nothing as rookies step up and become useful year 2 and beyond. Would be so helpful if Yancey did.  Supposedly didn't look very fast in camp, whatever he scored in combine, or stand out in any way.  Seemed like the media guys at camp viewed him making the roster based on his draft status and pre-draft qualities, but that based on camp eye-ball alone, he didn't stand out in any way.  Was he injured during the year?  Even late, after months with the team, they were still giving snaps to Davis and Yancey and Clark, rather than to Yancey.  If he'd been catching some eyes in practice, I'd have guessed they might give him a couple of snaps towards the end?  Or was he injured and unavailable by that point or something? 

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 03:09:52 PM »
The CB free agent pool dried up pretty fast and has left few options for the Packers.  To start, I think you have to bring back House and he gives you a good #3 corner and for me earned a spot after playing through all of the injuries last season.  I still think though that a corner will be one of the top 2 picks.  If Ward somehow falls down to 14, you have to take him.  Not sure it will happen, but he is this years can't miss corner by most accounts.   

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »
Here’s a list of the available cornerbacks as of Sunday morning (listed in order via Rotoworld):

E.J. Gaines
Bashaud Breeland (failed physical with Carolina Panthers)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Davon House
Delvin Breaux
Ross Cockrell
Adam Pacman Jones
Dontae Johnson
Byron Maxwell
Tramon Williams
Leonard Johnson
Jeremy Lane
Orlando Scandrick
Robert McClain
Alterraun Verner
Phillip Gaines
Leon Hall
Terence Newman
Marcus Williams
William Gay
Darrelle Revis
Marcus Cooper
Marcus Sherels
Brice McCain
Pierre Desir
Sterling Moore
Justin Bethel
Jaylen Watkins
Kenneth Acker
Bene Benwikere
Daryl Morris
Brandon Boykin
Sherrick McManis
Sheldon Price
Asa Jackson
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:17 AM »
I'm trying to figure out Marcus Cooper.

He has all the measurables you look for, he started well in KC, but for some reason fell out of favor, gets traded to AZ, where had a very solid season and then signs with CHI as an UFA where he becomes totally useless.

I'd like to think he has what Pettine would want in a boundary CB, but something just ain't right with this cat.  confused(

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
I'm all for bringing back Tramon and/or House and drafting another DB early in the draft.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
Not thrilled with what's left out there.  Let the market settle maybe they can add a vet or two that can help.  Maybe even bring back Morgan if the numbers are right.  At this point unless we trade for a CB would be inclined to draft 3 of them and hope we hit on one.  Also have a couple of young guys on the roster already maybe one of them steps up. 

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
Every mock I've done has GB with at least 3 corners and 1 or 2 safeties. So reinforcements are coming.

Still need 1st round to be one of Edmunds, Landry or Esch. Then go bonkers on the defensive backfield.

If they trade back in rd 1 they can't go much further back than 20/22 to get one of these LBs.

Most mocks I've done has a 1st round trade, picking up a 2nd and sometimes a third is added if the right player (QB) has fallen.

Buf, Dal, Cin, LAC, have all been potential trade partners. There will be no elite pass rusher when our 2nd comes around and getting an extra 2nd from a trade
will likely be later than our original 2nd.

Landry, Edmunds, Esch, Carter, Hubbard and Key are likely gone by 2 14 as will Ward,  J. Jackson, Hughes, and Alexander.

In mid to late 2nd (worst case) were looking at the likes of Davis, Oliver, D.Jackson and Averett at CB and Harrison and Reid at S. Could easily live with 2 or 3 of those plus find a couple tall pressure corners later in the draft.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 04:10:37 PM »
Every mock I've done has GB with at least 3 corners and 1 or 2 safeties. So reinforcements are coming.

Up to 5 DBs looks like overkill to me. Two corners and a safety does not. Somewhere in the draft I'd like to see one or two wide receivers, one or two tight ends, one or two pass rushers, one or two offensive linemen (for example, one outside, one inside), then depending on what is available, backup QB, RB, DL, ILB, even a kicker is a possibility, as Mason Crosby is 34 on 3rd Sept 2018.

(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"