December 11, 2018, 03:23:35 AM

Author Topic: Cousins signing with the Vikings  (Read 1899 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Cousins signing with the Vikings
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
And the dominos begin to fall.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Cousins signing with the Vikings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully-guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
Funny, Jets fans are losing their minds.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
That contract is going to spell the beginning of the end to that fine Vikes' defense.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
Big deal. This seems like a lateral move of Keenum (who had a career year) to Cousins (who puts up good stats but doesn't seem to be able to be a winner). Recall, the Vikes beat NO on a miracle play, then got crushed by Philly. The numbers for Cousins should be interesting. Because, as Gregg noted, there is only so much cap room. Sinking a large share of your cap into a good but not great QB is a desperation move, IMO. Again, I'll go back to the Walker trade. And add the signing of Favre for good measure. If they couldn't win a SB with Favre, should we really be worried about Cousins?
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
I have never understood the tactic of staling from Peter to pay Paul.

The Vikes are built around their defense.  With that kind of guaranteed money, for three years, how can they keep that defense together?

I would have looked at McCarron, or brought back Bridgewater and then drafted a QB.

Cousins contract consumes well over 1/6 of their CAP.  In and of itself.  Their Cadillac defense is going to soon be a Chrysler. And then maybe a Chevy.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
According to Vikings fan, they’re Super Bowl is now assured.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
When healthy a lot of people in NFL front offices believe Bradford is a better QB than Cousins is. The Vikings will find a way to fall on their faces.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »
Cousins doesn't scare me.  Queens paid up for a average at best QB.  Problem with Bradford is the guy could never stay healthy.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Cousins contract being fully guaranteed is going to be significant. After all, if a guy who is basically a stats QB with no significant (postseaspn) wins on his resume. But, if this guy can get all his money guaranteed, why not Rodgers? Or Beckham, Jr.? Or Bell in Pittsburgh? The Vikings have just become the most hated team in the NFL, making the jobs of every GM/contract negotiator in the league much, much harder.

The deal is reportedly 3 years/$84 million. How this is structured is going to be very interesting. They have $44.5 million in space this year, so expect them to front load the deal so they can face lesser hits in the last two years. If they choose to pay him $35 million this season, then they "only" have $49 million left for the last two years. That way they could still re-sign some of their key defensive players. So, watch for the numbers, because they're going to tell a tale.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
Cousins contract being fully guaranteed is going to be significant. After all, if a guy who is basically a stats QB with no significant (postseaspn) wins on his resume. But, if this guy can get all his money guaranteed, why not Rodgers? Or Beckham, Jr.? Or Bell in Pittsburgh? The Vikings have just become the most hated team in the NFL, making the jobs of every GM/contract negotiator in the league much, much harder.

The deal is reportedly 3 years/$84 million. How this is structured is going to be very interesting. They have $44.5 million in space this year, so expect them to front load the deal so they can face lesser hits in the last two years. If they choose to pay him $35 million this season, then they "only" have $49 million left for the last two years. That way they could still re-sign some of their key defensive players. So, watch for the numbers, because they're going to tell a tale.

This contract will be the beginning of the end for the NFL.

Because of the cap, there is no way they can guarantee everyone's contract, and you know that every agent is going to bring this as an example in their back pocket come extension time.

Speilman is going to be the most hated GM on the planet after this.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »
This contract will be the beginning of the end for the NFL.

Because of the cap, there is no way they can guarantee everyone's contract, and you know that every agent is going to bring this as an example in their back pocket come extension time.

Speilman is going to be the most hated GM on the planet after this.

The idea of fully guaranteed contracts will only apply to certain players. For example, could you imagine how hard a GM would laugh if a backup guard asked for all his money to be guaranteed? Even Joe Thomas in his prime would be very unlikely to get a totally guaranteed contract. But, for the topmost echelon of players, particularly QBs? That's another story. Would Rodgers demand this? At the least, his agent would be negligent if he didn't push for that kind of guarantee. And for all of those who would push for not renegotiating, but trying to franchise AR instead, seriously? Is that the kind of reputation you'd want to earn with the rest of the league?

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »
McCarron signed for two years for ten million with Bills.

The Vikes could have kept their defense pretty much intact with him.

They also traded for Sieman.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »
McCarron signed for two years for ten million with Bills.

The Vikes could have kept their defense pretty much intact with him.

They also traded for Sieman.

Fascinating. So, in two years, they're going to have had five QB's on the roster. Nothing like stability to keep a franchise afloat.  ::)