September 18, 2018, 02:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Packers Releasing Jordy Nelson...  (Read 3180 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Packers Releasing Jordy Nelson...
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
I'll always remember those play action roll-outs where Rodgers EASILY hits Nelson on a deep post. A thing of beauty. One of the all-time best Packers!

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
 Jordy WAS a great Packer. If anyone watched him last season, they could see he lost a step. At 33 years old, he would be best served in the slot, ala Fitzgerald. Who's better in the slot, Cobb or Nelson? Cobb is 27 years old. Nelson reminds me a lot of Freeman when he lost a step. Lombardi always tried to keep his team young, remember that he let Hornug and Taylor go. Father time has no mercy.

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
I've been a Packer fan a looong time, as many of you have, so I'm sad, but used to this inevitability.  However, for my children who have grown up with the Packers of this generation, it is their first taste of that sad reality.  My 23-year old daughter, owner of a #87 jersey, broke the news to our family in a group text.  She was very distraught. 

Blessings, Jordy!  Thank you for the memories, and for the class you always displayed.   

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
It's strange about WR's, when they lose their speed, it's immediate. Jordy has a pair of the best hands I've ever seen.
The Packers still need real deep speed at WR. I'm thinking they will draft a WR on the First Round of the Draft. They need lots of speed on Defense, but if they could get a speedster it would make the offense so much better. They seem to have found a running game. All they need is someone to take the top off the Defense. If they keep Bulaga, it will give the backups one more year of learning before they are ready to start.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 05:47:30 PM »
It's strange about WR's, when they lose their speed, it's immediate. Jordy has a pair of the best hands I've ever seen.
The Packers still need real deep speed at WR. I'm thinking they will draft a WR on the First Round of the Draft. They need lots of speed on Defense, but if they could get a speedster it would make the offense so much better. They seem to have found a running game. All they need is someone to take the top off the Defense. If they keep Bulaga, it will give the backups one more year of learning before they are ready to start.

Hard to expect much from a rookie WR in MM's offense.

When was the last time a rooke WR did much in GB?

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »
...Hard to expect much from a rookie WR in MM's offense.

When was the last time a rooke WR did much in GB?

Good point.  Still,  actually thought that each of Adams, Cobb, Jordy, and Jennings all looked good as rookies.  In each of those cases, I recall thinking that they often looked quite capable when they played.  Jennings got hurt mid-year, IIRC.  And Cobb and Jordy came in behind a stacked field, they were just blocked.  So as nice as they looked, and reasonably productive when they did get snaps, there just weren't all that many snaps given quality vets ahead of them.  Adams played a lot, and had a few excellent games, and some nothing games.  But even then, Cobb and Jordy were definitely the men ahead of him. 

That opportunity could be VERY different this fall.  If all a rookie needs to do is move past Geronimo and Davis, it might not be that hard to get a LOT of snaps.  If Adams or Cobb get hurt, even easier yet.  Think if Jordy or Cobb were rookies on this roster, they could have had double or triple their snaps and double-or-triple their yards.....

But, I hope somehow there's a pretty good FA WR out there who signs up, and can emerge as a pretty good player with Aaron throwing to him, and given the opportunity.  So that a really gifted 2nd-round pick doesn't need to play more snaps than Adams or Jordy or Cobb did.   

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
Was wondering today if Jordy is on the Mt Rushmore of Packer WRs:

Hutson and Lofton for sure.  Driver?  Nelson? Dowler?

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
Jordy is gone. Sorry. Get used to it.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online packlaw

• Second String
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »
Internet reporting Jordy is being sought by Ravens and Seahawks aggressively.  Jordy still wants to play, the Packer era is over...what great memories...best of luck

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
Hes visiting the Raiders tomorrow.  The Packers offered him a chance to come back at a salary just over the 10 year league minimum and he declined.  He's gone and I wish him well.  Great player and Packer.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
....The Packers offered him a chance to come back at a salary just over the 10 year league minimum ....

That's not much. 

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
 The Packers have the slowest WRs in the NFL. Speed kills. Aaron Rodgers was able to cover this up. This team has to get faster. Jordy lost his speed last year. Yes, Jordy was a great receiver in his prime. It was also sad when Sterling Sharpe went down. The team went on to win a Super Bowl.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
 Aaron Nagler Retweeted

Fallon Smith C.

Verified account

@FallonSmithNBCS
 12m12 minutes ago
More
I'm told Derek Carr is meeting Jordy Nelson at the airport #Raiders #FullCourtPress

Offline Payne85

• Rookie
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
Jordy may not be worth the full value on his contract.....we have quite a few guys that aren't (talkin' Clay for starters).  He is still a better WR than  Cobb and was paid less.

Payne85

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Raiders trying to finalize deal today for former Packers’ WR Jordy Nelson, who still is in Oakland, sources tell ESPN. “This is going to get done,” one source said of the talks. Nelson on his way to becoming a Raider.