October 17, 2018, 03:36:07 AM

Author Topic: Packers agree to 1 year deal with Mo Wilkerson  (Read 2232 times)

Offline NYPACKATTACK

• Rookie
Packers agree to 1 year deal with Mo Wilkerson
« on: March 13, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
Should be motivated for 1 year

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Packers agree to 1 year deal with Mo Wilkerson
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »
D-line is going to be BEASTLY!

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
Telling you what - Guts is winning over a lot of fans with these signings.  Maybe not so much with letting Jordy go - but it isn't like he is just sitting back and letting the rest of the NFL go by. 

Hard to argue with this move.  If this pays off and Wilkerson returns back to near the play he has shown - he will be a big difference maker. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
Telling you what - Guts is winning over a lot of fans with these signings.  Maybe not so much with letting Jordy go - but it isn't like he is just sitting back and letting the rest of the NFL go by. 

Hard to argue with this move.  If this pays off and Wilkerson returns back to near the play he has shown - he will be a big difference maker.

I wonder if the Packers have a "verbal" with Jordy to give them a chance to match an offer from another team.  confused(

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
I wonder that also.  Maybe at a reduce price. 

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:00:51 PM »
Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

Mo Wilkerson's deal with the #Packers is one year, $5 million plus $3M in incentives, source said.

7:40 PM - Mar 13, 2018
===========

Can't argue with that, seems like good value. 

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »

Mo Wilkerson's deal with the #Packers is one year, $5 million plus $3M in incentives, source said.

===========

Looks like a good deal at this point.  I wonder what his offers were?  Hopefully, he comes to play.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »

===========

Looks like a good deal at this point.  I wonder what his offers were?  Hopefully, he comes to play.

Yah, the danger is if he puts up 10 sacks or so and then wants to get paid. He has a history of slacking off for a couple years after he gets paid.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:57:25 PM by marklawrence »
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
I wonder that also.  Maybe at a reduce price.

danno, this is a response to your post also. No, it's very unlikely the Packers will re-sign Nelson. If they wanted to renegotiate his contract, that could have been accomplished during the off-season. Instead, they simply cut him. Here is the official message after the release of Jordy:

“These are tough days when you have to release a player that means so much to your organization, to your team,” Gutekunst said in a news conference Tuesday evening. “Jordy Nelson is one of the great Packers to have played here. He was such an excellent player on the field, an excellent player in your locker room, and obviously in the community as well. He’s everything that you want a pro to be and he’ll be missed.”

This is a goodbye, not "perhaps we'll be able to work something out" message. Nelson is gone. I had been writing that it was only a matter of days or hours before something was done to free up some cap space. This move makes financial sense, but it also hurts. Because Jordy was the epitome of "Packer people".

That written, I think the Wilkerson deal is outstanding. If it works out, great, Then evaluate whether to sign him to a longer, more lucrative contract. Though I'd prefer him playing really well this year, and then parting ways with him. Because I still don't trust him if he gets a big contract. Excellently played by the Packers.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:56:26 AM »
Agree on both points ricky, if they were going to keep Nelson they would just reworked his deal and not taken a dead money hit. He is gone and probably signs with the Raiders today.

As for the Wilkerson deal, I like it. These are the types of FA's, IMO that have a better success rate with less risk.

Not a fan of the Graham deal. The Packers basically traded Nelson for Graham and after the 'shiny new toy' feel wears off, I think Packers fans are going to be disappointed with the production. Graham is a player well known for being soft and having no heart around the NFL. Hit him early and he will quit, hardly the type you want to go to battle with. I said the same things about Bennett last year, as being a bad signing and took a pounding for saying so. Graham is just in it for one more good payday and the Packers are the suckers on this one, but a signing keeps fans excited until he actually plays.     

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
...Not a fan of the Graham deal. The Packers basically traded Nelson for Graham and after the 'shiny new toy' feel wears off, I think Packers fans are going to be disappointed with the production. Graham is a player well known for being soft and having no heart around the NFL. Hit him early and he will quit, hardly the type you want to go to battle with. I said the same things about Bennett last year, as being a bad signing and took a pounding for saying so. Graham is just in it for one more good payday and the Packers are the suckers on this one, but a signing keeps fans excited until he actually plays.   

That's too bad.  I wonder if Gute and MM were familiar with that well known stuff? 

I mentioned this in other post, but with Gute in charge, and MM in his ear, it's a new landscape.  It's too new to have calibrated my "trust" level.   
*With time, we may find that Gute isn't a good talent/fit evaluator, nor do they have a good and thorough/wise evaluation process for commitment/effort/heart. 
*Or perhaps with time we'll see these moves working out well, and Gute being vindicated.  Maybe Graham will thrive in Packer offense; Kizer will emerge as a very good QB; Wilkerson will be a hard-worker and very productive; and the replacements for Jordy and Randall (whether +D guys already on the roster, or guys to be added later) will be more than capable of doing so. 

But for now, it's just way too soon for me to know whether to trust Gute, his process and his decision-making.  I'd like to think that a GM competent to drive a championship organization would be smart/capable/thorough enough to know whether Graham is a soft heartless quitter.

If you are right, and Gute is a foolish sucker, it doesn't bode well for the Packers future. 

The optimist in me hopes otherwise, but for the moment that's hope without much to base that hope on.

Offline heikks86

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
Not sure if you were doubting me, thinking I was making things up, but here is a link going back to 2015. Teams have shared this view for awhile.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-michael-bennett-jimmy-graham-is-still-overrated-and-soft/

Really? That’s your evidence that players in the NFL think he’s soft? Two players who wanted to fight him because of a pregame altercation in 2014 and dislike him is hardly proof he’s soft

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »
We have an entire thread devoted to Jimmy. Why this long debate on Graham in Mo's thread?
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Haven't taken any time to research around the league yet - but how many 3-4 teams have a better DL group than Wilkerson--Clark--Daniels with Lowry and Adams?   I think that group stacks up competitively with anyone.  All three primary starters are Pro-Bowl caliber.  Clark is a rising name in the league and was used by Mike Mayock during the Combine to illustrate how some of the DL drills correlate to the game.   Lowry is great depth and I think Adams will develop into a real player given a full offseason of work.  All 5 have some ability to rush the passer

How would you rank this unit vs 3-4 teams?   How about combining 4-3 teams into the mix?   

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »

===========

Yah, the danger is if he puts up 10 sacks or so and then wants to get paid. He has a history of slacking off for a couple years after he gets paid.

Beauty of the one year deal. They don't have to resign him.