September 25, 2018, 02:33:43 AM

Author Topic: Time to Trade Aaron  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Starr2Max

• Starter
Re: Time to Trade Aaron
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 06:37:29 AM »
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the Lombardi Glory Years and the barren wasteland of the 70's and 80's before Brett - where we struggled at the bottom of the league.  To find a HOF QB, and this is a QB driven league, is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  To find two in a row and have almost 30 years of high level consistency is almost unprecedented.  To give up this opportunity is insanity.  Maybe we have become too complacent and think that it is easy to find the next Rogers.  Ask the Bears and Browns and Vikings how easy it is. How long have they been searching?
 twocents)

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:50 AM »
Quote from: OneTwoSixFive   

Aaron's injury doesn't worry me one bit, not even a little bit. Collarbone breaks don't tend to be disabling long-term, they are pretty much as strong, when healed, as they were, as long as they heal 'straight' (and you can be certain surgeons made sure Rodgers collarbone was). It's not like (for example) someone having had rotator-cuff injuries, where the arm can then pop out of the socket when hit.

I think it should. Repeated collar bone breaks were a part of Tony Romo retiring.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 06:58:08 AM »
His retirement wasn't due to the collarbone causing a drop in his play longer term. Romo retired because other teams would likely steer clear of a 37 year old QB who would command about $22m for a year, and he was steadily getting beaten up as he aged.  A fractured vertebra and shoulder issues counted for much more than the collarbone. He was ready to move on with his life as a colour commentator.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:00:33 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:31:55 AM »
For the record, a v\brief history of Romo's injuries. It was his back, not the collarbones that likely caused his retirement. And for the record, yes, it would probably be wise for the Packers to do their best to make sure Rodgers is not "damaged goods". Because if he is, then the Packers are in a world of hurt, because it was only Rodgers that kept them afloat. Lose him suddenly, like last season, and the Packers are in the "QB chase" with a dozen other teams. And face years of mediocrity or worse before they find a decent replacement.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 07:57:38 AM »
I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the Lombardi Glory Years and the barren wasteland of the 70's and 80's before Brett - where we struggled at the bottom of the league.  To find a HOF QB, and this is a QB driven league, is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.  To find two in a row and have almost 30 years of high level consistency is almost unprecedented.  To give up this opportunity is insanity.  Maybe we have become too complacent and think that it is easy to find the next Rogers.  Ask the Bears and Browns and Vikings how easy it is. How long have they been searching?
 twocents)
We are probably the same age reading your message. That is why I said this year would be the one to trade Rodgers to Cleveland. The draft picks and QBs available, wouldn't guarantee another HOF QB...it would probably land a QB good enough to win a SB.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »
The Saints did a hell of a job in the draft last year and turned them around quickly.

An elite, HOF QB is a great deodorant - they can cover up a lot of areas of the team that stink.  So while it's easy to sit back and say, "This team is crap without Rodgers", it is also true that this team doesn't need as much help to reach to pinnacle as a team that starts over from scratch.  Pairing Rodgers with even a middle of the pack defense puts this team into the championship conversation. 

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
Glad you are still around Ror.  Is Rodgers healthy?  100% back.  I really don't know.  Haven't seen him play since Carolina.  Commend him for trying to come back but it was early and he wasn't the same.  Only reason for this discussion is the crazy QB contracts floating around.  Main concern is doing a huge contract for Aaron which could cripple the franchise.  Also the trade value is elevated. 

Can you make Aaron the highest paid player in the league and still field a championship roster?  Well that's the question.  I don't think it is possible.  Brady in NE.  Took less than he is worth has 5 rings.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Honestly don't know where to rank Aaron until we see him play after the injury.  The Packers probably have a pretty good idea of where he is at.  I would hope anyway.  If he is 100% healthy great.  Still signing him to a multi year contract with a huge portion guaranteed is a risk.  It's not Aaron's fault it's the escalation of QB contracts that is the problem here.  That Cousins deal is really ridiculous. 

Bottom line Aaron isn't going anywhere.  I love him, the fans love him, the Packers love him.  Just hope both sides can come together to do a contract that takes care of Aaron and protects the franchise going forward.  This just became much harder.

ML's point is trading Aaron for an enormous sum and using it to rebuild the roster vs. retaining Aaron and trying to build around him.  For Cleveland's entire draft this year and next well?  That would have me thinking for sure.  Honestly not sure which route would most likely yield a championship.  Probably a horse a piece.  Yes Aaron is an elite player but it takes a team to win a Championship he won't be able to do it alone.

Packers have some talent.  Also a lot of holes.  Hopefully they can be patched up before the start of the season.  I am optimistic with the change in Offensive and Defensive coordinators.  Long overdue and this alone will help tremendously.  We need another Edge, 2 CB's, WR, RG at a minimum.  We'll see what Gute can do.  They do not have a championship roster now.  More work needs to be done.

I'm not concerned about Rodgers' health.  As 1265 notes, collarbones aren't injuries that linger.  In addition, the idea that teams can't pay a franchise QB and fill out the rest of the roster is a fallacy.  As it stands, the Packers are currently 20 million under the CAP, and that is with players like Matthews, Perry, Bulaga, and Cobb eating up large chunks.  Even when Rodgers was the highest paid player in the league (now he's what, 6th?), the Packers were never struggling financially.

People forget this important point:  Russ Ball is a wizard.  The guy just took the money owed to Jordy and parlayed it into Graham and Wilkerson.  I love Jordy, but that's a pretty good deal.

And without Rodgers, who the hell wants to come to Green Bay anyway?

So in the end, there is no logical reason to trade Rodgers.  Even if the Packers got a haul, that doesn't mean they would magically translate that into a winning roster, as much of that haul would be in the form of draft picks, which are anything but certain.  And even if they were to assemble some elite defense, it might not matter if they don't have an elite QB.  The Seahawks had a once in a generation defense, and they have as many Super Bowls as the Packers over the past ten years.

The best chance for the Packers to win a Super Bowl in the next decade is by paying and playing Rodgers.

Lastly, Brady is a poor example to cite in this discussion.  Brady took "less" money by agreeing to extensions and by brokering shady deals with management that allowed him to peddle and bank from his nutrition and exercise system.
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline rock county

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
Intersting scenario.

So, we're giving up a HOF QB with about maybe five year's of playing time left for the Browns', ahem, "... a Lawrence Welk trade (anna one, anna two, anna one-two-three)."?

I'm not totally against it, but you'd better hit with those draft picks.  What would I consider with those first two picks at #1 and #4? How about two QB's? Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson or Allen?  Both would be on five year contracts. Hopefully, both develop, then you would have decent trade bait for the one you don't keep.  Or trade down the #4 pick and still maybe pick up the other QB with your new picks or #14 pick. 

Just a thought. 

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/?hootPostID=72e9db76e8729699843758e2ef66ae86

If Aaron's agent is pulling this crap there is your reason to trade him.  If story is true I'd walk away from negotiations until they get serious.  Aaron is a great player but no one is above the team.  Now just not wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL but wants the Packers to guarantee it over the life of the contract?  Tie it to a percentage of the cap?  NO THANKS.  Let him play out his contract then tag and trade him out of GB. 

I hope this story is not true or just speculation.  Don't care how good Aaron is you just don't pull this kind of crap. 

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/silverstein/2018/03/24/silverstein-aaron-rodgers-impending-extension-handcuffs-packers-free-agency/453162002/?hootPostID=72e9db76e8729699843758e2ef66ae86

If Aaron's agent is pulling this crap there is your reason to trade him.  If story is true I'd walk away from negotiations until they get serious.  Aaron is a great player but no one is above the team.  Now just not wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL but wants the Packers to guarantee it over the life of the contract?  Tie it to a percentage of the cap?  NO THANKS.  Let him play out his contract then tag and trade him out of GB. 

I hope this story is not true or just speculation.  Don't care how good Aaron is you just don't pull this kind of crap.

Completely agree. It isn't like Aaron's been lights out in the playoffs either and deserves a contract like that. Nobody does imo, but until Aaron puts the entire team on his back for some postseason wins, he shouldn't even come close to a deal like that.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
I worked out the numbers, and a couple years of franchise tag is the same price as a fully guaranteed contract with some salary cap escalators. Turns out Aaron's position is reasonable, if you believe you want to guarantee him a salary in 2022. Of course the real contract would include a $50m signing bonus or some such and a reduction in salaries. But the total payout is about the same in the first four years.

year     age     salary          salary
2018     34     $20,562,500      $20,562,500
2019     35     $21,100,000      $21,100,000
2020     36     $28,000,000 ft   $30,000,000
2021     37     $33,000,000 ft   $31,000,000
2022     38                      $33,000,000
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
ROdgers is just one shoulder hit away from retirement.  MAybe Elway calls next year and we address this.

Problem is this regime has not groomed a replacement!  Billy, Bob joe Callahan, be serious, Hundley, no way Dekizer, stunk at ND at best was a fifth rd pick.  His own coach and teammates threw him under the bus.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »
Looks like some people are trying to talk themselves into a disaster-type situation.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Fargofootball

• Starter
  • Please get familiar with our Forums Rules & Guidelines.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:35 PM »
It should be noted that if any of the picks traded for Rodgers are from future years, it's likely they will be late in the round (20+) as AR carries that team to winning seasons. But that's OK, as we would have lots of high picks from our own crappy seasons following the trade as we seek the grail of a franchise QB.

Not a scenario I would want any part of. Nor should you.

With good use of the 12 picks we have this year, we can recharge and deepen the talent level on the roster. We'll be in the hunt for the Lombardi, which is better than being in the hunt for a Darnold/Rosen type in the draft.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 01:42:18 PM »
Hear this AZ Cardinals:  Aaron Rodgers is virtually out the door in GB.  They will need to draft a QB in round 1 this year.  Better send a boatload of picks to GB, in order to move up one spot and pick Mayfield/Allen/Jackson/Rudolph/Rosen/Darnold ahead of GB.  Last chance.