May 24, 2018, 10:22:32 PM

Author Topic: No tenders  (Read 988 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
No tenders
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »
Per the NFL, here are the Packers with fewer than four accrued seasons who received no qualifying offer or minimum tender:

LS Taybor Pepper
P  Jacob Schum
LB  Joe Thomas
CB  Herb Waters

The interesting thing about this list is that the Packers have no interest in Herb Waters even though they only had to pay him the minimum salary. His position coach claimed he was the second coming of Tramon Williams last year and now he is not even worth being a camp body? Interesting. Not offering Joe Thomas a mimimum tender may hint that he doesn't fit into the new defense also. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: No tenders
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
Alittle surprised that Schum wasn't tendered.............even minimum. Is Gute keeping an eye on a punter to draft?

Pepper and Thomas are no big surprise. Thomas hung around as long as he did because they were that bad at ILB.

Waters is still a developing prospect, having never really played CB in real games before. Wouldn't surprise me if Pettine said he didn't need a "project".

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
Wasn't Schum cut last year and replaced by Vogel?  confused

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »

Yes he was.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
....CB  Herb Waters

The interesting thing about this list is that the Packers have no interest in Herb Waters even though they only had to pay him the minimum salary. His position coach claimed he was the second coming of Tramon Williams last year and now he is not even worth being a camp body? Interesting. ...

1.  What's the limit on practice-squad years?  Was that running out on Waters, after WR time then conversion to CB? 

2.  Didn't he get injured last year?  *IF* he isn't healthy enough for camps yet, not sure he was going to have much context for learning CB. 
*With the CBA mostly banning practice, and with no minor league, kinda hard to figure how a guy learns to play a new position. 

3.  Isn't Whitt kind of the king of hyperbole, who discusses every UDFA in terms of Tramon and Shields?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »

My bad................got the two confused.  :o

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »

@RobDemovsky
Follow Follow @RobDemovsky
More
The Packers are expected to re-sign CB Herb Waters, who wasn't originally tendered as an exclusive rights free agent. He's back in Green Bay today getting a medical check. The former receiver was making strides at cornerback before a shoulder injury...

This was odd to me that they would cut him loose and now re-sign him. I need to know that logic.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
That is curious. Maybe Whitt went to Gute and lobbied to bring him back?  confused(

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:05:30 PM »
I believe it's a contractual thing.  Think the salary for a tendered guy is higher than this way. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:23:17 PM »
Under the CBA teams can sign a player for less than the NFL rookie minimum of $480K if they are not on an Active/Inactive list when signed.   Waters was still under contract while he was on the IR list, Green Bay had to wait until the first day of the new league year when he became a Free Agent to re-sign him.  Under those circumstances, the CBA allows Green Bay to sign Waters for $363K, I don't know if that is what happened, but it seems logical.