August 21, 2018, 12:41:53 AM

Author Topic: Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet  (Read 1700 times)

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet
« on: March 16, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »
Bears have the transition tag on him, $12.9m. Pff rates him a top three cb. Bears have five days to match. We no doubt offered him a several year contract at near that price. If the bears don't match they lose him, no compensation.

There's gonna be no compensation picks for us next year. . .
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline craig

• HOF Member
Re: Packers sign Kyle Fuller to offer sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
Interesting. 

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
Bears said they would match any offer.  Guess we'll see.  Getting him into the fold would solve a lot of problems.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
What makes this VERY interesting is all the outside FA contracts they have done (Bray, Burton, Daniel, Gabriel Lynch, Parkey), plus their own guys (Acho, Amukamera, Brown O'Donnell, Sowell).

That puts the Bears hard against the cap with 5 days to match the contract.......at the very least there are going to be some pretty uncomfortable days in Bearland, as they try to balance the books with that giant contract due, while the best result is they don't match Green Bay's offer, and the Pack get a quality second corner. The Packers front office must have been quietly watching and waiting while the Bears signed everyone, rubbing their hands and choosing just the worst moment (for the Bears) to strike.

Props to Gute and Ball for a clever move.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:36:40 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
I'm good with this.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
We know everything about the bear cap situation and contracts. I'm confident that we structured an offer so that it's hard for the bears to match and causes them cap pain if they do.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
Will be surprised if we hear anything before the 5 days are up.   Bears can sit on a decision now and force the Pack to wait through the full time limit.  Given our cap situation we're now stuck without being able to make any other moves.  .  Think that's the customary way to mess with a team trying to sign your player

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
I doubt e have the cap room to handle this. I expect if the bears fall to watch we're going to have to do something with clay or cobb.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
Do like I was saying...I bet they sign this within minutes and move on with their day  ;D

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »
I doubt e have the cap room to handle this. I expect if the bears fall to watch we're going to have to do something with clay or cobb.

This was my first thought when I read the numbers involved. Cobb frees up$9.25 million. CMIII clears $11.3 million with no dead cap.So, do you take a hit on offense or defense? Will either or both of these guys renegotiate? And if they don't, which one do you cut to sign Fuller? Because I think the idea of Fuller in the defensive backfield is intriguing. LBers steps up and becomes a pass rushing threat? My money is if necessary, Matthews either bargains or gets cut.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Scott1956

• All Pro
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
The Bears have matched the Packers offer. They get to keep Fuller at 4/56.  16.5 million/year is a lot for a team that didn't want to pay 12.9 million!

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
The Bears have matched the Packers offer. They get to keep Fuller at 4/56.  16.5 million/year is a lot for a team that didn't want to pay 12.9 million!

Here is a breakdown of the money, and how, effectively, the Packers negotiated the contract for the Bears. Whether they have to make some moves to accomodate this new contract is the real question at this point. Still, full props for at least trying!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/kyle-fuller-gets-4-million-more-per-year-than-bears-had-offered/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »
I like this or at least the attempt.  I like the aggression.  I think it sends a message that the country club days are over.  Ranking 31 on defense isnt going to cut it and this guy  (Gute) is looking for your replacement. 

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
The way the contract was structured wouldn't have really put much stress on the Bears to match, which on the surface seems weird.

I think the Packers evaluated the situation like this.  If the Bears passed, then the Packers would get a young ascending CB.  If the Bears matched, they are now committing big dollars to CB long term, which may have removed the CB position from being in consideration for the Bears at #8 which increases the chance that the CB the Packers covet falls to a range they are comfortable making a move up for.  Not a whole lot of downside.