April 24, 2018, 09:47:29 PM

Author Topic: Is the 1st round coming into focus?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Re: Is the 1st round coming into focus?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Personally, I think it will be one of these guys:

1.) Josh Jackson
2.) Harold Landry
3.) Leighton Vander Esch

My preference would be for a pass rusher as I think there will be a GOOD Corner available to them in the 2nd round. I think the Derwin James stuff is a little bit of a smoke-screen as I think Josh Jones could probably do some similar things as to what James could offer. I've been on the LVE bandwagon this past week or so.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 08:58:07 AM »
With a month to the draft I think the top 12 have basically come together as a group (subject to change by the minute). Their will be some trading around by teams, but the players will remain the same. The first 12 drafted will be,

1 - Sam Darnold/QB/USC

2 - Josh Allen/QB/Wyoming

3 - Josh Rosen/QB/UCLA

4 - Bradley Chubb/DL/North Carolina State

5 - Saquon Barkley/RB/Penn State

6 - Quenton Nelson/G/Notre Dame

7 - Minkah Fitzpatrick/DB/Alabama

8 - Denzel Ward/CB/Ohio State

9 - Tremaine Edmunds/LB/Virginia Tech

10 - Roquan Smith/LB/Georgia

11 - Baker Mayfield/QB/Oklahoma

12 - Derwin James/S/Florida State

That would put the Redskins on the clock at 13 and I have thought for awhile that their pick will either be Da'Ron Payne/DL/ Alabama or  Vita Vea/DL/Washington.

Which brings us to the Packers. In all likelihood their selection will come from one of these players unless the Packers were to trade from this pick (up or down).

Da'Ron Payne/DL/ Alabama
Vita Vea/DL/Washington
Harold Landry/EDGE/ Boston College
Marcus Davenport/EDGE/UTSA
Leighton Vander Esch/LB/Boise State
Josh Jackson/CB/Iowa
Mike McGlinchey/OT/Notre Dame
Calvin Ridley/WR/Alabama
Rashaan Evans/LB/Alabama   I added that one for you Hands  :)

As you can see the Packers are going to land a very good player in the first round this year and I would be happy with any of those additions. As some have pointed out here already and I think this exercise points it out, is that the Packers have the luxury of trading back 3 or 4 spots and still getting a player of similar value well adding more draft capital.     

Evan Silva

Verified account

@evansilva
Follow Follow @evansilva
More
#Colts GM Chris Ballard says this draft has 8 elite non-QB prospects, then there is a tier drop.

For now I'm still standing by the 12 listed. The media in their rush to break something helps spread the smokescreens, but the first 12 off the board is pretty well set. IMO.  Farther proof is the number of GM's in the top 10 willing to tradedown, but not beyond the 12th pick. I also believe the Packers are really hoping Landry gets to 14 for them, if he is off the board I believe they will be very open to a trade back. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »
I was reading Mayock this morning and he was talking about Marcus Davenport.

He believes he is a first round talent and could be in play when the Packers pick at #14. Mayock thinks Davenport has tremendous upside, but that he is very very raw at this point and would not fit well into a complicated scheme. Instead he needs a simplified scheme/responsibilities that will allow him to just play, and play fast, rather than have to analyze/diagnose/think about where and what he's supposed to do each play. In other words, he's a developmental project that may/may not blossom in time.

Honestly, I'm not sure how that type of player would fit in Pettine's plans?

It is said that Pettine's scheme is "multiple" (code for complex), but that he can simplify (dumb it down) roles to take advantage of players strengths and minimize their shortcomings.

This whole pre-draft process Davenport has been talked about (mostly) in glowing terms by media/scouts. I've watched game film and highlight clips. I'm still wondering if he's the next Terrell Suggs? Or, Margus Hunt 2.0?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
I'm with you on Davenport, just not seeing what everyone is hyping. All I see is a guy who tries to bullrush everyone he plays against. It was somewhat successful at the lower college level, but see this appoach having little effect at the NFL level. I'm no talent scout and may be totally wrong, but hoping the Packers go in a different direction. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
This is a tweet in support of Davenport as possibly one of the elite guys.

Josh Norris

Verified account

@JoshNorris
 3h3 hours ago
More Josh Norris Retweeted Evan Silva
Shall we guess those eight?

Locks:
Quenton Nelson
Bradley Chubb
Saquon Barkley
Roquan Smith

Possibilities:
Denzel Ward
Derwin James
Harold Landry
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Tremaine Edmunds
Marcus Davenport

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
Boy.................I'm not sure how he could claim that Edmunds and James are just "possibilities" and not "locks" ?  confused(

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
B
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
My thinking is pass rusher and cover corner. Need both and maybe a couple of each in this draft. So Edmunds, Evans, (Thanks RT!) and Smith are looked at as ILBs. How much pass rush will the Packers get out of them verses what they have? Will they be that much better than Martinez in coverage and stopping the run? It appears that Evans has never run the 40 or other drills so he must be hurt and have no idea how he fits into that athletic position until he's cleared to do drills. His tape is certainly very good, but who wants damaged goods?
I just hope Green Bay has 5 QBs selected in front of them this year and leaves the door open for a top ten guy to drop. Frankly if only 3 QBs are selected in the top ten....the Packers may trade out of 14 and stock up some picks in the 2nd round.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/21/will-packers-have-to-trade-up-to-get-elite-player-in-2018-draft/

The Colts have already traded down, moving from No. 3 to 6. It was a smart piece of maneuvering from general manager Chris Ballard, ............ Ballard recently told the Indianapolis Star that his personnel staff believes the draft has eight non-quarterbacks considered to be “elite,” or what the Colts describe as an “impact” player who needs to be game-planned against every week and is capable of making “game-winning plays.” That’s a good description. But if he’s right about the number available, the Packers are in a tough spot.

I'm not saying that Ballard, or Josh Norris, or anyone else are wrong with their assessment regarding how many players beyond the four (maybe 5) QB's that will be picked prior to #14 should/shouldn't be considered "elite", but this could be one of those situations where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and who's to say how many players the Packers consider "elite" beyond those QB's.

For all we know Gute may only consider 5 or 6 as "elite". But then again, that number could just as easily be 10-12 "elite" players beyond the QB's. If they polled each team, there could be several manifestations of how many "elite" players there there are in the top ~15-16 of the 1st round.

The countdown is on, and it will be interesting to follow if teams do any more jockeying for draft position prior to draft day, but the real fun will start when the commish announces "The Cleveland Browns are on the clock".  thumbsup)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 06:27:01 AM »
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/21/will-packers-have-to-trade-up-to-get-elite-player-in-2018-draft/

The Colts have already traded down, moving from No. 3 to 6. It was a smart piece of maneuvering from general manager Chris Ballard, ............ Ballard recently told the Indianapolis Star that his personnel staff believes the draft has eight non-quarterbacks considered to be “elite,” or what the Colts describe as an “impact” player who needs to be game-planned against every week and is capable of making “game-winning plays.” That’s a good description. But if he’s right about the number available, the Packers are in a tough spot.

I'm not saying that Ballard, or Josh Norris, or anyone else are wrong with their assessment regarding how many players beyond the four (maybe 5) QB's that will be picked prior to #14 should/shouldn't be considered "elite", but this could be one of those situations where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and who's to say how many players the Packers consider "elite" beyond those QB's.

For all we know Gute may only consider 5 or 6 as "elite". But then again, that number could just as easily be 10-12 "elite" players beyond the QB's. If they polled each team, there could be several manifestations of how many "elite" players there there are in the top ~15-16 of the 1st round.

The countdown is on, and it will be interesting to follow if teams do any more jockeying for draft position prior to draft day, but the real fun will start when the commish announces "The Cleveland Browns are on the clock".  thumbsup)

I always find the elite thing hilarious, they claim their are only X number of such players every year. Every year some of these so called elite players washout and players drafted behind them are the real elite NFL players. Yet fans do the samething year after year, need to trade your whole draft if need be to get one of the media driven hyped super humans. And to add to the humor, when a team drafts one of these 'elite' players and the fans find out he doesn't really have a superpower they're grabbing their pitchforks to rally a witchhunt.

The Packers are going to get an excellent player at 14 if they choose to select there and they will get an excellent player if they choose to trade back. Their is no need to give up anything to chase a so called 'elite' player. None of them.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 07:06:14 AM »

I always find the elite thing hilarious, they claim their are only X number of such players every year. Every year some of these so called elite players washout and players drafted behind them are the real elite NFL players. Yet fans do the samething year after year, need to trade your whole draft if need be to get one of the media driven hyped super humans. And to add to the humor, when a team drafts one of these 'elite' players and the fans find out he doesn't really have a superpower they're grabbing their pitchforks to rally a witchhunt.

The Packers are going to get an excellent player at 14 if they choose to select there and they will get an excellent player if they choose to trade back. Their is no need to give up anything to chase a so called 'elite' player. None of them.

So true.   Never know who is going to be an all pro and which guy is going to bust out.  It's a joke.  So are the mock drafts everyone gets caught up in.  It's a fun exercise to learn about the players but actually predicting what players get drafted is next to impossible.   Take a look at any Packers mock draft and less than half of them will get one player right  but not even necessarily the round.  So many times Greg Jennings?  Jordy Nelson?  DaVante Adams?  Mike Daniels?  on and on and on.  Anyway back to the point I sure hope Gute does not trade up in the first round.  Too damn costly.  Either stay put or trade back.  Want as many bites of the apple as possible.  Trading up in later rounds can make sense if there is a player the Packers really covet.   Like your board RT that's a nice approach.  Groups of players available in each round.  Even as thorough as you have been the Pack will still probably draft a few guys not on your radar. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
You are soo right that the Packers will draft players not listed. This is the 4th year I've done this exercise for myself. In 2015 had 4 of 8 picks, in 2016 I thought I had it all figured out by getting 7 of 7, but last year reality slapped me in the face with only 4 of 10. Hoping for a better percentage this year.

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
BTW, Josh Jackson (CB - Iowa) supposedly ran in the mid 4.4's on Monday (3/26) at his Pro Day. That really has to help his stock!

Players always run faster at their pro days. The rule of thumb from what I have heard around the league is teams add .05 to a players 40 time from his pro day and that give you a more accurate number; unless he runs slower than at the combine and then you just go with the combine number. That still would put Jackson around a 4.5 flat which would be better than the 4.56 he ran at the combine.