November 21, 2018, 03:52:02 AM

Author Topic: Jordan Matthews in for a visit.  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
Jordan Matthews in for a visit.
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »
I am surpirsed this isn't up here yet. Earlier at work my BR team stream app said Jordan Matthews is in Green Bay tonight and will meet with the Packers tomorrow.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Jordan Matthews in for a visit.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
I am surpirsed this isn't up here yet. Earlier at work my BR team stream app said Jordan Matthews is in Green Bay tonight and will meet with the Packers tomorrow.

I heard he met with them today???Not sure, but a good candidate if he is healthy.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/03/packers-had-receiver-jordan-matthews-in/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:19:35 PM by The GM »

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
Here’s his scouting report coming out of Vanderbilt. He’s a big kid, who was dinged up with one thing or another all last year:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jordan-matthews?id=2543500

I came across another web article, which I couldn’t relocate, that wrote about the Packer’s interest in him when he came out of college. At the least, Green Bay is doing their due diligence on the guy. The stats from his first couple years look good:

http://www.nfl.com/player/jordanmatthews/2543500/profile

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:28:45 AM »
He's primarily a slot receiver, but a much bigger target (6'3") than Cobb.  Perhaps there's interest to bring him in on a one year deal to compete with Cobb, and then see if one is worth re-signing after the season.  They could also sign him and just cut Cobb to save the $9M or so in cap space, but they typically aren't that cold-blooded.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:37:02 PM »
He's primarily a slot receiver, but a much bigger target (6'3") than Cobb.  Perhaps there's interest to bring him in on a one year deal to compete with Cobb, and then see if one is worth re-signing after the season.  They could also sign him and just cut Cobb to save the $9M or so in cap space, but they typically aren't that cold-blooded.

Lol well I don't know if Jordy Nelson would agree
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »

They cut him at the beginning of the league year before the feeding frenzy out of fairness to him.  That's much different than holding on to Cobb for two weeks and then cutting him loose.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:46 PM »

They cut him at the beginning of the league year before the feeding frenzy out of fairness to him.  That's much different than holding on to Cobb for two weeks and then cutting him loose.

They cut Jordy for cap space and supposedly were talking with Cobb a out it too. So they cut whoever they want regardless of timeline. And Jordy was the better of the two. His only down productivity was while Hundley was under center. So they didn't part way because of lack if talent.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »

They cut Jordy for cap space and supposedly were talking with Cobb a out it too. So they cut whoever they want regardless of timeline. And Jordy was the better of the two. His only down productivity was while Hundley was under center. So they didn't part way because of lack if talent.

I agree.

If the right player became available and they needed cap space, they could sign Mathews and cut Cobb in order to make the other deal happen.

But, at this point, I don't see any player out there that would be worth making that kind of move for, unless you are talking trading Cobb (and maybe a draft pick) to get a certain player or to move up somewhere in the draft.

Offline Big Lou

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »

Disagree with most of this.  They could have easily hung on to Nelson to squeeze him to take less, but they obviously didn't have him in their plans and "did the right thing" by releasing him when they did.  You can't dismiss the timeline out of hand.  I also disagree that Nelson is more talented than Cobb at this point in their careers.  If it were going to be one or the other, Nelson was the correct one to release from a skill perspective.   

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »
Agree, Lou.  Think Cobb has more capacity than Jordy; they thought (rightfully, I think...) that it was better policy to pay Cobb his full salary than to pay that same amount to Jordy; and that they didn't make Jordy a better, more competitive offer because they didn't think he served their needs and plans and was worth the more competitive offer that he got from Oakland.  (I'm guessing they weren't willing to come even very close to that.) 

We'll see.  But I thought Jordy just looked very slow and not athletic enough anymore.  And while Cobb isn't fast, I think he still has some good football ahead for him, and that health permitting that he'll have a reasonably productive season.   

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
I think the mind chemistry between AR and Jordy can't be understated here.

AR and Cobb have chemistry too, but it's not in the same universe that AR/JN have together.

That being said, If they had cut Cobb and restructure Jordy to a similar 2 yr. deal like he got in OAK, it would have saved GB around $16M-$17M and they could have made a run at one of the top free agent WR's.

In the end, Cobb won't be around after this season either...........he's no where close to being worth this years money, nor what he probably thinks he's going to be worth next year either.

Athletically they are close to being equal..........at this moment. The only real advantage Cobb has over Jordy is that he's 5 years younger.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »
I think the mind chemistry between AR and Jordy can't be understated here.

AR and Cobb have chemistry too, but it's not in the same universe that AR/JN have together.

That being said, If they had cut Cobb and restructure Jordy to a similar 2 yr. deal like he got in OAK, it would have saved GB around $16M-$17M and they could have made a run at one of the top free agent WR's.

In the end, Cobb won't be around after this season either...........he's no where close to being worth this years money, nor what he probably thinks he's going to be worth next year either.

Athletically they are close to being equal..........at this moment. The only real advantage Cobb has over Jordy is that he's 5 years younger.

I think Nelsons strength was the ability to play inside and outside and flourish. Cobb really isn't that great outside. And unless MM changes the playbook to more picks and rub routes, Cobb won't be worth half his paycheck

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
I think this discussion is somewhat reflective of the current relationship between fan base and management.  There appears to be almost no confidence that MM and Gute can evaluate talent or make smart decisions or know what they are doing.  I'm hoping that in due time that Gute will earn some respect.  But for now, it seems like posters have zero respect that for their thinking or evaluation skills. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
I think this discussion is somewhat reflective of the current relationship between fan base and management.  There appears to be almost no confidence that MM and Gute can evaluate talent or make smart decisions or know what they are doing.  I'm hoping that in due time that Gute will earn some respect.  But for now, it seems like posters have zero respect that for their thinking or evaluation skills.

Good observation craig, probably a topic that deserves its own thread.

Offline Fox_NFLs_GG

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »
Well he signed with the Patriots.