May 22, 2018, 10:43:20 AM

Author Topic: The Vikes have me worried  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Re: The Vikes have me worried
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »
How is it a huge step backward?

Cousins has thrown for 4K yards three years in a row. In 2016 he threw for almost 5 K yards.  He has thrown for 25 TDs or more in all three years and never threw more than 13 interceptions.

He is not injury prone like Bradford, not coming off a horrible injury like Bridgewater, and is not bouncing off a career year like Case Keenum.  Keenum never rated in at 90 or above until last year.  Cousins has done it three years in a row.

I think they overpaid for Cousins and should not have guaranteed his contract; but the idea its  a huge step backward is really unwarranted by the stats.

Offline Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
How is it a huge step backward?

Cousins has thrown for 4K yards three years in a row. In 2016 he threw for almost 5 K yards.  He has thrown for 25 TDs or more in all three years and never threw more than 13 interceptions.

He is not injury prone like Bradford, not coming off a horrible injury like Bridgewater, and is not bouncing off a career year like Case Keenum.  Keenum never rated in at 90 or above until last year.  Cousins has done it three years in a row.

I think they overpaid for Cousins and should not have guaranteed his contract; but the idea its  a huge step backward is really unwarranted by the stats.

Not disagreeing with you but if Cousins is the second coming why did the Redskins let him get away?

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 06:18:29 AM »
Because, as I said, they overpaid for him.  The Redskins did not want to do that.

And then the Vikes doubled down by guaranteeing the contract.

But that is the NFL.  Its a QB crazy league.

If it had been me, I would not have done it.  I probably would have kept Bridgewater and then signed McCarron. And I would have drafted a QB.

The Vikes have to win now.  Because Cousins'  contract is going to essentially force them to release at least a couple of good players from their defense in a year or two.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »
The Vikes have to win now.  Because Cousins'  contract is going to essentially force them to release at least a couple of good players from their defense in a year or two.

Exactly. And the Vikes only advanced on an incredibly lucky set of circumstances against the Saints. The Rams at least have the excuse of having a QB still playing under his rookie contract. The Vikes are all in this year. And most times, that leads to disappointment. So, short term, they are a concern, but certainly not insurmountable. Long term, as you noted, they are stealing from Peter to pay Paul. And that is just nuts.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
Well, after being a bridemaid four times, they most likely don't give 2 hoots what they long term cost is if they can at least, one time, be the bride.

After all, that Lombardi case of theirs looks pretty lonely!