December 14, 2018, 08:47:01 AM

Author Topic: The Vikes have me worried  (Read 3614 times)

Offline raptorman

• Starter
Re: The Vikes have me worried
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »
Chiefs were at 19.4 ppg in 2016.   And Atlanta lost to who in the Super Bowl? The Pats with the number one scoring defense.   The Giants are the outlier here. Once they made it to the playoffs they held the other teams to 14 ppg or less.  Not sure how they did it.

Aw, come on raptorman, I give you my error on the chiefs, but don't deflect from the point.  QB's can get their teams to the playoffs when the defense gives up more than 24 points per game on the season, as 3 superbowl teams this decade have shown.
3 out of how many?   The number of top defenses in both the winners and losers of the Super Bowl far outweigh those that are out of the top 10.

Geez raptorman, you used to be a better poster than this.  The question wasn't whether a good defense makes for a better team.
Well apparently it's not so easy for a top QB to get his team to the Super Bowl without a good defense.  I mean they can, but the history shows that the top 5 QB in passing the last 10 years don't overcome middle of the road Defenses very often. 
Something new coming soon!

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: The Vikes have me worried
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »
Well apparently it's not so easy for a top QB to get his team to the Super Bowl without a good defense.  I mean they can, but the history shows that the top 5 QB in passing the last 10 years don't overcome middle of the road Defenses very often.

If you are trying to bring it back around to say that the Vikings are well positioned due to their defense- no argument there.  Go back to page two of the thread, and you will see that I agree with you.  Likewise it is hard for a good defense to get there without good QB play.  I think the Vikings have a good chance to be Top 5 in both defense and offense this year and have to be a favorite in the NFC.

I was just contesting your position that it "never happens" that a QB gets his team to the playoffs when the defense gives up more than 24 pts.  Face it, it does.  Just talking football data, nothing else.

That's not a slam on Cousins.  The Redskins are an extremely dysfunctional organization, and there was a lot more wrong with the team than a bad defense. Start with the fact that they stumbled on to a genuine franchise QB, but instead of creating stability by paying him and then getting more good players, they chose to create chaos by refusing to secure the position by not giving Cousins the contract he had earned.

Cousins doesn't need to own the Washington won lost record.  Daniel Snyder does.

As I said early in the thread, Snyder did the Vikings a huge favor by letting a talent like Cousins get to free agency.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:24:18 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."