September 23, 2018, 02:55:28 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Draft tidbits  (Read 2836 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: 2018 Draft tidbits
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
Was just reading where one analysts mock has 10 OL in the 1st round, 9 from 15 to 32. That run on OL would push the WR and CB depth into the 2nd and 3rd round and be advantagous to the Packers. It would dry up the OL pool very quickly but I think the Packers would be OK with that scenario.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »

Zach Kruse

Verified account

@zachkruse2
 14h14 hours ago
More Zach Kruse Retweeted The Packers Wire
#Packers come on the clock at 45. Gutey turns to Ted, smiles and asks, “Alright, Ted, which WR do you like?”

Humorous, but probably a lot of truth in it.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
Their is a lot of draft related analytics floating around right now and I am going to share this chart that I have seen in several places the last couple of days. Probably throws a monkey wrench into the mix against those that endlessly b*tch about how poorly TT has drafted in the past several years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbesk7fXUAUEGyd.jpg:large

Couple of other interesting draft factoids. In the last 5 drafts their has been a total of 5 blue/red chip players drafted in the 5th round. The Packers have drafted two of the five, the other 31 teams have drafted 3 total. Success by teams in the 6th and 7th rounds isn't any better. It has been said by many NFL front office people that the 6th and 7th rounds really is just the start of the premium UDFA rounds. Case can be made that the 5th round should be included in that statement.

Also in the last 6 drafts, the Packers have drafted 5 players to play in the pro bowl, that is tied with Atlanta, Dallas and K.C. for the most drafted players.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 05:42:20 AM »
I think TT was the absolute best draft guy from rounds 4 onward. His problem was his first and second round picks. The reason Green Bay doesn't have the talent of the Vikings and etc. is his failures in the first and second rounds. He has had some success....just not nearly enough.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 06:01:34 AM »
Agree Hands but part of the problem is we have been drafting very late every year.  Mid to late 20's.  Makes it a lot tougher.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »
...and of course reluctance (or inability) to attract and sign a few more moderately priced UFA patches
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:53:10 AM by davekenya »

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
Their is a lot of draft related analytics floating around right now and I am going to share this chart that I have seen in several places the last couple of days. Probably throws a monkey wrench into the mix against those that endlessly b*tch about how poorly TT has drafted in the past several years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbesk7fXUAUEGyd.jpg:large

Couple of other interesting draft factoids. In the last 5 drafts their has been a total of 5 blue/red chip players drafted in the 5th round. The Packers have drafted two of the five, the other 31 teams have drafted 3 total. Success by teams in the 6th and 7th rounds isn't any better. It has been said by many NFL front office people that the 6th and 7th rounds really is just the start of the premium UDFA rounds. Case can be made that the 5th round should be included in that statement.

Also in the last 6 drafts, the Packers have drafted 5 players to play in the pro bowl, that is tied with Atlanta, Dallas and K.C. for the most drafted players.

Interesting chart - thanks for sharing!  On the surface, it really makes GB look exceptional - high value from lower round picks to boot.  Indictment of CLE, CIN, SF - given their better draft status and SEA too.
10 of the 16 teams below the line (I've included TN)  -- less value in their drafts -- are from the AFC; only 6 from the NFC of course.

Naturally, while NE just sits on the line, all it's other divisional teams are comfortably below the line - poor drafters.  NFC north teams all above the collective AV line....  must be the drinking water

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
Read this today and thought it may be an interesting share. Last part is about the Packers 1st round night.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/03/josh-rosen-arizona-cardinals-draft-mmqb-albert-breer

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 04:30:50 AM »
Zach Kruse

Verified account

@zachkruse2
 10h10 hours ago
More
Ron Wolf's first draft pick in GB was Terrell Buckley. Brian Gutekunst's was Jaire Alexander. Buckley coached Alexander at Louisville. Time is a flat circle.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
I think TT was the absolute best draft guy from rounds 4 onward. His problem was his first and second round picks. The reason Green Bay doesn't have the talent of the Vikings and etc. is his failures in the first and second rounds. He has had some success....just not nearly enough.

I've mentioned this before, but any analysis of TT's drafting probably needs to be hypothetically shared with Gute.  As director of college scouting, certainly Ted's selections must have been heavily influenced by Gute's input. 
Not sure exactly how that would have worked, of course.
For example, one might hypothesize that the boss would be heavily invested in the high-round selections, and perhaps defer more of the later picks to the team of scouts?  I know that's kind of how it works with the Chicago Cubs in baseball; for a top pick or two, all of the top front-office are involved in the discussion.  By the 4th round, the GM hasn't scouted all of those guys, and totally listens to what the scouting department suggests. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but any analysis of TT's drafting probably needs to be hypothetically shared with Gute.  As director of college scouting, certainly Ted's selections must have been heavily influenced by Gute's input. 
Not sure exactly how that would have worked, of course.
For example, one might hypothesize that the boss would be heavily invested in the high-round selections, and perhaps defer more of the later picks to the team of scouts?  I know that's kind of how it works with the Chicago Cubs in baseball; for a top pick or two, all of the top front-office are involved in the discussion.  By the 4th round, the GM hasn't scouted all of those guys, and totally listens to what the scouting department suggests.

Not sure baseball is a good analogy. In baseball the draft doesn't have the same single mindedness of roster construction that football does. A GM in baseball is busy tracking 4 different levels of minor leagues, foreign players along with college and HS players. An NFL draft board can be narrowed down to as few as 80 players (the reported size of the Patriots board) to the average around 150. As a team builds and stacks their board, I don't believe it would be difficult for a GM to have intimate knowledge of every player on their board and then some.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 06:09:19 AM »
@SEMOfootball LB Kendall Donnerson (6-3, 249) worked out in front of 5 teams, ran 40 in 4.43 seconds, had 40 VJ, 10-11 BJ, 4.37 ss, 7.06 3cn, 20 lifts. With numbers like those, he has chance to get drafted.

The Packers were one of the 5 teams at Southeast Missouri for his workout.

Since he is likely to be a 6th or 7th round pick, he is the perfect kind of guy to take a punt on late. Tremendous 4.44 40 time at 250 lb and his standing high/long jumps show he has explosion. His production was solid as well, albeit at a small school. Some have him at 6'2" instead of 6'3", but that is nitpicking. I think he has a good chance of being a Packer.

Kudos 1265, good call.

I was thinking he was a UDFA only, but they wanted to make sure they brought him to training camp.