July 19, 2018, 10:41:23 AM

Author Topic: April 27 Day 2 Discussions  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
Re: April 27 Day 2 Discussions
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:57 AM »
I think the draft says to me that we will be playing the Rex Ryan 4-3 under and not a true 3-4 this year.

They drafted to solidify the CB position so that Pettine can tighten up coverage and force the QB to hold the ball longer.

Burks is the prototypical Will linebacker- which in that system is a smaller, faster, sideline to sideline player with cover skills.  And scoremore- Vanderbilt vs Alabama is such a mismatch that I am not sure you can grade out Burks just on that one game.  He may be like you say, but I would give it time.

With the current veterans, Daniels is likely the under tackle (3 technique), Clark the 1 technique, Willkerson the 5 technique, Perry/ Matthews the WDE.  The pass rush will come by getting single matchups on everyone but Clark.

In that system, EDGE becomes less urgent for us as the SAM doesn't require the typical EDGE skills so guys like Fackrell and Biegel, that can play in space are better for the position than a typical 3-4 OLB that functioned as an upright DE in the Capers 3-4.  The SAM and the 5 combination create the 1 on 1 for the 5 technique, and an overload blitz possibility where the SAM is unblocked.

In that system Matthews can play any of the positions of WDE, SAM, or MIKE.

It looks to me that this defense will be much better this year.  Much better.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2018, 06:10:47 AM »
Good observations, Twain.

It was my concern when they hired Pettine that good quality players may be discarded over scheme fit. We see this year-in and year-out where staffs change and spent draft capital is flushed. It was said at his hire that the great thing with him was he could adjust to the skillsets of players. Hope this is true.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
Good thoughts, Twain and RT.  Not sure on Jackson, but seems Jaire and Burks are smart guys.  That doesn't mean Burks can diagnose quickly, I guess, or play smart on the field.  But there has been reference to Pettine's systems past wanting smart guys, not necessarily being the simplest.  These guys may have the brains to play smart, certainly same for Blake Martinez.  King is pretty smart, too, I think.  A feel I've had is that they've collected lots of fast UDFA secondary guys, but sometimes they didnt play nearly as well as their speed-numbers; something in the mental processing wasn't there. 

Ben Fennel (and many others, I'm sure) have talked about the issue of pass defense:  how much is pressure, versus how much is coverage?  Fennel argues that Matthews and the Packers pass rushers are actually OK, but that the modern NFL QB is so trained to get the ball out quick that it's VERY difficult to have time to actually make sacks.  And that the Packer secondary gave so much space that almost regardess of how fast the pass rush came, a QB could always find somebody to throw to.  Hard to get a sack when a completion can be out in 2 seconds. 

It may be that the Packers see it that way, too, and that improved coverage will do more good than an extra pass-rusher.  Hope it works out that way,  and that with more talent in the back, that the front guys will have more time to get home. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
Good thoughts, Twain and RT.  Not sure on Jackson, but seems Jaire and Burks are smart guys.  That doesn't mean Burks can diagnose quickly, I guess, or play smart on the field.  But there has been reference to Pettine's systems past wanting smart guys, not necessarily being the simplest.  These guys may have the brains to play smart, certainly same for Blake Martinez.  King is pretty smart, too, I think.  A feel I've had is that they've collected lots of fast UDFA secondary guys, but sometimes they didnt play nearly as well as their speed-numbers; something in the mental processing wasn't there. 

Ben Fennel (and many others, I'm sure) have talked about the issue of pass defense:  how much is pressure, versus how much is coverage?  Fennel argues that Matthews and the Packers pass rushers are actually OK, but that the modern NFL QB is so trained to get the ball out quick that it's VERY difficult to have time to actually make sacks.  And that the Packer secondary gave so much space that almost regardess of how fast the pass rush came, a QB could always find somebody to throw to.  Hard to get a sack when a completion can be out in 2 seconds. 

It may be that the Packers see it that way, too, and that improved coverage will do more good than an extra pass-rusher.  Hope it works out that way,  and that with more talent in the back, that the front guys will have more time to get home.

Excellent post, agree with the theory.