October 15, 2018, 08:18:32 AM

Author Topic: April 27 Day 2 Discussions  (Read 3635 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
April 27 Day 2 Discussions
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:11:04 AM »
Opening Friday April 27.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
Re: April 27 Day 2 Discussions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
Two 1st round picks next year, likely both in the high 20s. Package the two together and we should be able to trade up to about #8. Throw in our 2nd round pick and we're at about #5. Let the Rodgers Replacement Rumors begin!!!
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »
I don't really see how we have the ammo to trade up into the 3rd. If we want a 3rd round pick, we're going to have to trade back to about the 25th pick in the 2nd and throw in a 5th. I dunno about trading back in the 2nd, but we still have 12 picks this year and that's too many. We need to lose some 5ths and 7ths and get another 4th. Or be prepared to cut about 6 low draft picks at the end of TC and hope like 4 of them make it to the PS.

Of course we have a good history of getting very decent OL in the 4th and 5th. Bulaga should be very worried.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
I wonder if the Packers would take Josh Jackson if he is there at 45? Cant have enough good corners.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:21:36 PM by The GM »

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:00:31 AM »
I have to admit that I was not crazy about the selection yesterday. Still not, but a good player anyway. The ability is obvious, just the size that concerns me.
While it is great having an extra 1st rounder next year.............it does not help now. I would like to see them parlay that pick into another 2nd and get back into the 3rd.
Going by the trade value chart, if the Pack were to make it to the NFC title game the approximate trade value would be 620. There would seem to be 3 possible trading partners.

1) Colts - three 2nd round picks. Numbers 36,37,and 49. Number 67 in the 3rd. Point value for 49 & 67 = 665. Not knowing exactly where the pick would be next year could make it work as-is. If not, pick 133 could seal it. Worst case would give us two 2nd rounders, a 3rd and a 4th.
2) Patriots - picks 43 and 95 = 590 points. Also have #63. In addition, they do not have any picks in the 4th or 5th rounds.
3)49'ers - picks 59 and 70 = 550 points. Also have #74.

Possibilities exist. It would be great if we could get 2 or 3 of these guys:
Lorenzo Carter OLB ( my favorite )
Harold Landry OLB
Michael Gallup WR
Anthony Miller WR
Josh Jackson CB
Quenton Meeks CB
Tyrell Crosby RT

Just my opinion could be wrong. Let's hope for a great day 2.

Offline MO.Pack

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »
Just hated to see us lose that third round pick.  Thought Gute might have got his guy at 27 or been satisfied with Jackson or Oliver if Alexander didn't make it to 27.
Thought it was interesting Gute's comments that they still got there guy after trading out of number 14 which would have put Alexander above Edwards and James on their big board.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
Just hated to see us lose that third round pick.  Thought Gute might have got his guy at 27 or been satisfied with Jackson or Oliver if Alexander didn't make it to 27.
Thought it was interesting Gute's comments that they still got there guy after trading out of number 14 which would have put Alexander above Edwards and James on their big board.

Gute also said last night that they are not done moving around.

A name to keep in mind here is OLB/Edge Kemoko Turay (Rutgers).

Packers could trade farther back in the 2nd round to take Turay and maybe package one of their four 5th round picks to pick up a 3rd rounder as part of the deal.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kemoko-turay%20?id=32462018-0002-5599-9667-00031057c4e6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCKAAD-i8AI
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:26:41 AM by dannobanano »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 06:30:35 AM »
Couple of guys I'd like.  Carter, Gesicki, Hernandez, Sutton, Williams, Hurst (if medical checks out), Turay, Jefferson, and Reid.  9 guys.  Gute may trade down on day 2 we'll see.  A lot of good players will be available and we can go a number of ways.  View TE as weakest position on the team a guy like Geskicki would probably be my first choice.  Think we could probably trade down and still land Carter.  Williams, Hernandez, Sutton, and Jefferson should all be off the board when we pick.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 06:43:15 AM »
I don't really see how we have the ammo to trade up into the 3rd. If we want a 3rd round pick, we're going to have to trade back to about the 25th pick in the 2nd and throw in a 5th. I dunno about trading back in the 2nd, but we still have 12 picks this year and that's too many. We need to lose some 5ths and 7ths and get another 4th. Or be prepared to cut about 6 low draft picks at the end of TC and hope like 4 of them make it to the PS.

Of course we have a good history of getting very decent OL in the 4th and 5th. Bulaga should be very worried.

A trade of lower picks to get back into the mid-to low third round is very do-able, if complicated, but what if the Packers gave up their 2019 pick (theirs or the Saints) for the Browns pick #33 or #35. That might seem good value to the Browns, with as many high picks as they have this year. Pick #33 or #35  AND the Packers own pick at #45 could really help this team. Think of getting two guys from Connor Williams, Will Hernandez, Courtland Sutton, Anthony Miller, Lorenzo Carter, Harold Landry.

The best value might still be to keep that 2019 pick, but it makes for interesting calculations............lots of options.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »
Mark, are you going to start a thread for each player drafted like in pass years?

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
Mark, are you going to start a thread for each player drafted like in pass years?

I can help out with that as I did it in the past.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 07:30:37 AM »
I have to admit that I was not crazy about the selection yesterday. Still not, but a good player anyway. The ability is obvious, just the size that concerns me.
While it is great having an extra 1st rounder next year.............it does not help now. I would like to see them parlay that pick into another 2nd and get back into the 3rd.
Going by the trade value chart, if the Pack were to make it to the NFC title game the approximate trade value would be 620. There would seem to be 3 possible trading partners.

1) Colts - three 2nd round picks. Numbers 36,37,and 49. Number 67 in the 3rd. Point value for 49 & 67 = 665. Not knowing exactly where the pick would be next year could make it work as-is. If not, pick 133 could seal it. Worst case would give us two 2nd rounders, a 3rd and a 4th.
2) Patriots - picks 43 and 95 = 590 points. Also have #63. In addition, they do not have any picks in the 4th or 5th rounds.
3)49'ers - picks 59 and 70 = 550 points. Also have #74.

Possibilities exist. It would be great if we could get 2 or 3 of these guys:
Lorenzo Carter OLB ( my favorite )
Harold Landry OLB
Michael Gallup WR
Anthony Miller WR
Josh Jackson CB
Quenton Meeks CB
Tyrell Crosby RT

Just my opinion could be wrong. Let's hope for a great day 2.

Interesting thoughts on parlaying the 'next year' pick. Both Cleveland and Indianapolis have 2 picks at the top of the 2nd round and a swap of that pick is not out of the question. Personally I hope they keep the pick, but would understand the move if they have a player sitting there with a 1st round grade. That is the key here, I would only make that trade IF the player they went after had a first round grade on him.
 Looking at the best available, not sure who that is? Josh Jackson? Doubt they spend a 1st on a CB after taking one in the first. Reading about Harold Landry and Maurice Hurst this morning, they are viewed as major medical risks by most teams and with the Packers history on injuries would you spend a 1st on one of them? Not sure I see a player left worth spending a first round pick on. It is good to have options.

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:24 AM »
Crazy night last night. I was glad that the Packers stuck to #14, but was completely stunned when they traded out considering that they could pick from two perceived Top 10 talents like Edmunds and James.

What I liked: Picking up that first rounder for next year.

What I'm unsure about: Jaire Alexander. If you're drafting a 5'10" cornerback in the middle of the first round (and giving up a 3rd rounder to do it) this guy better be getting serious playing time DAY 1, and he BETTER excel.

What I don't like: Giving up that 3rd rounder.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »

I can help out with that as I did it in the past.

thumbsup)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »
Crazy night last night. I was glad that the Packers stuck to #14, but was completely stunned when they traded out considering that they could pick from two perceived Top 10 talents like Edmunds and James.

What I liked: Picking up that first rounder for next year.

What I'm unsure about: Jaire Alexander. If you're drafting a 5'10" cornerback in the middle of the first round (and giving up a 3rd rounder to do it) this guy better be getting serious playing time DAY 1, and he BETTER excel.

What I don't like: Giving up that 3rd rounder.

As it turned out, they traded a 3rd this year for a 1st next year. Their are 32 teams that wish they could do that every year. Packers fans should feel lucky this morning to have pulled that off.