May 24, 2018, 10:27:31 PM

Author Topic: Players the Packers have shown interest in  (Read 1633 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Players the Packers have shown interest in
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
WR/ Justin Watson of Penn

An FCS first-team All-American, Watson (6-2, 215) amazed NFL scouts with an impressive pro day last month. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds, put up 20 reps on the bench press, produced leaps of 40″ in the vertical and 10-4 in the broad and finished the three-cone drill in 7.08 seconds.

Jeff Janis 2.0

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, the Packers hosted UCLA offensive tackle Kolton Miller on an official pre-draft visit.

Miller measures in at 6-9 and 310 pounds, with 34 1/8″ long arms and a wingspan of a little over 82″. He aced the combine, finishing the 40-yard dash in 4.95 seconds, with 24 bench press reps, jumps of 31.5″ in the vertical and 10-11 in the broad, a 7.34-second finish in the three-cone drill and a 4.34-second short shuttle. They represent a remarkable set of measurables for a man his size.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »
This is a very interesting deep sleeper prospect. Walk-on to the football team, was a South African discus thrower. For a man his size, his 7.52 3-cone drill is impressive, shows good feet in the short area.

Brett Tessler

@TesslerSports
Follow Follow @TesslerSports
More
Gerhard de Beer (OT, Arizona) is making one of the last pre-draft visits today and tomorrow with the Green Bay Packers... South African native has been getting plenty of interest since the NFLPA All-star game and his pro day.

Any player whos last name is Beer, it should be mandatory that they play in Wisconsin.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:54:21 PM by RT »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
...Your groups are interesting. I mentioned this somewhere else on here, but I think group one is the smokescreen group and they have no plans of drafting any of them. And the group they seem totally disinterested in is where their first choice will come from.

Not sure I see the value in smoke-screening.  What is gained?  Or harmed, if other teams know you're interested in somebody you're interested in? 

I'm guessing 3 hypotheticals: 
1.  Team will trade under:  You've got your heart set on player "X"; if team 15, 16, or 17 knows you're taking "X", then they'll trade up to 13 and steal your guy under your nose? 
2.  Gute is smarter:  If other GM's know what rookie GM Gute wants, they'll assume they're dumber than he is, and that their boards are dumber than his?  So team 12 or 13 will change their mind and choose your guy instead of the guy they'd have otherwise chosen? 
3.  You want to trade back:  Team 15, 16, or 17 might trade up to get pick 14, if they think you might take the guy they want?  But if they already know who you like, and it isn't the guy they want, they won't make you a useful offer anymore? 

I don't imagine #2 is really a thing.  I'm guessing #3 is kinda plausible.  Perhaps #1, but probably unlikely. 

I actually don't think there's all that much value in smokescreening.  Teams in front of you don't care much who you like; and you can take who you like, so who cares if the teams after know? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:36 AM »
...Your groups are interesting. I mentioned this somewhere else on here, but I think group one is the smokescreen group and they have no plans of drafting any of them. And the group they seem totally disinterested in is where their first choice will come from.

Not sure I see the value in smoke-screening.  What is gained?  Or harmed, if other teams know you're interested in somebody you're interested in? 

I'm guessing 3 hypotheticals: 
1.  Team will trade under:  You've got your heart set on player "X"; if team 15, 16, or 17 knows you're taking "X", then they'll trade up to 13 and steal your guy under your nose? 
2.  Gute is smarter:  If other GM's know what rookie GM Gute wants, they'll assume they're dumber than he is, and that their boards are dumber than his?  So team 12 or 13 will change their mind and choose your guy instead of the guy they'd have otherwise chosen? 
3.  You want to trade back:  Team 15, 16, or 17 might trade up to get pick 14, if they think you might take the guy they want?  But if they already know who you like, and it isn't the guy they want, they won't make you a useful offer anymore? 

I don't imagine #2 is really a thing.  I'm guessing #3 is kinda plausible.  Perhaps #1, but probably unlikely. 

I actually don't think there's all that much value in smokescreening.  Teams in front of you don't care much who you like; and you can take who you like, so who cares if the teams after know?

It is called the lying season for a reason. Why do you think Hue Jackson was on a national TV show yesterday stating that they don't know which of the 4 QB's they are going to draft at #1. They know full well who they are taking, but will keep it unknown to all until the second they turn in their card if possible.

For the Packers it is of interest to keep the Redskins right were they are at and they draft the player that they have at the top of their board. If  the Redskins know what the Packers are going to do with 100% certainty it empowers them to tradedown and still draft the player 1st on their board and gain additional draft picks. At the sametime the Packers lose their top choice.

In tracking the Redskins top needs from Redskins sites, it is believed their top desires are a DT that can control the line of scrimmage and a top CB because they lost their top 2 CB's this offseason. A third was brought up by a local beat writer that he was told monthes ago by one of their front office people that they would love to add a play making safety this offseason. Are the headscratching visits by DT Vita Via and CB Mike Hughes smokescreens or is their real interest in drafting them at 14? Is it just coincidence that they are probably 2 of the top players on Washington's board?

Their is a reason if you are dealt a pair of aces that you don't just tell everyone.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »
Today is the final day of teams 30 visits before the draft. I currently have 22 of the Packers 30 visits, hopefully in a couple of days we will have a complete list of 30. Will post when I have the full list.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »
 Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
 2h2 hours ago
More
More visits on the last day for teams to host prospects: #Bama LB Rashaan Evans is visiting the #Bills and #Texas OT Connor Williams is visiting the #Packers

Conner Williams is an interesting visit, his short area numbers don't match up with what the Packers historically have drafted.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
Just read that Kyle Lauletta/QB/Richmond is visiting the Packers
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:22:41 AM by dannobanano »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
Just read that Kyle Lauletta/QB/Richmond is visiting the Packers

You have an awful good source, I haven't seen that anywhere yet. Would make sense, he is a complete Packers match.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
It is called the lying season for a reason. ...For the Packers it is of interest to keep the Redskins right were they are at and they draft the player that they have at the top of their board. If  the Redskins know what the Packers are going to do with 100% certainty it empowers them to tradedown and still draft the player 1st on their board and gain additional draft picks. At the sametime the Packers lose their top choice. .... Are the headscratching visits by DT Vita Via and CB Mike Hughes smokescreens or is their real interest in drafting them at 14? Is it just coincidence that they are probably 2 of the top players on Washington's board?....

That makes good sense.  Thanks. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
 Kyle Odegard

@Kyle_Odegard
 35m35 minutes ago
More
GM Steve Keim opening Cardinals' pre-draft press conference: "the misinformation is flowing and I don't expect the next 20 minutes to be any different."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
Updated list of private 30 visits from ESPN.

T Dejon Allen, Hawaii

QB Tim Boyle, Eastern Kentucky

LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt

LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin

S Dane Cruikshank, Arizona

OL Gerhard de Beer, Arizona

LB Kendall Donnerson, Southeast Missouri State

LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

C/G Nico Falah, USC

CB Mike Ford, Southeast Missouri State

CB Mike Hughes, UCF

CB Donte Jackson, LSU

S Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin

S Derwin James, Florida State

WR Keith Kirkwood, Temple

OLB Mike Love, South Florida

T Kolton Miller, UCLA

WR J'Mon Moore, Missouri

WR Dante Pettis, Washington

FB Austin Ramesh, Wisconsin

DT Jullian Taylor, Temple

DT Vita Vea, Washington

WR Justin Watson, Penn

OL Conner Williams, Texas

TE Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:59 AM »

@TonyPauline
Follow Follow @TonyPauline
More
Oren Burks/LB/Vanderbilt had an official 30 visit with the Green Bay Packers on Monday...has already worked out for the NY Giants. 

Would make a nice replacement for Joe Thomas. Good player. Might be the selection with the Packers 1st pick in the 4th round.

In this slow time in Packers news I went back and re-read a few old threads.

It is interesting that even as tight lipped as NFL teams are about which players they desire, even us as fans can get a read on them if we are paying attention. The teams know way more about each other, so when a team trades up infront of another to get their player, their is a strong likelihood that one of the next couple of teams were going to take that player.

The Packers traded ahead of the Rams to take Burks. Were the Rams ready to take Burks as the replacement for Ogletree in their defense? He would be a very good match there.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:17 AM »
Their is probably a fair chance that this guy is the 4th QB/Camp arm for the Packers 90 man roster.

Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL
 2h2 hours ago
More
Eastern Kentucky QB Tim Boyle has top 30 visit with Green Bay Packers on Monday, according to league source. (6-3, 232, 4.75, 35.5 vertical, 9-9 broad jump, 16 reps)

When I read this one it just jumped off my computer screen at me that this guy was going to be a Packer UDFA signing.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »
Updated list of private 30 visits from ESPN.

T Dejon Allen, Hawaii

QB Tim Boyle, Eastern Kentucky

LB Oren Burks, Vanderbilt

LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin

S Dane Cruikshank, Arizona

OL Gerhard de Beer, Arizona

LB Kendall Donnerson, Southeast Missouri State

LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

C/G Nico Falah, USC

CB Mike Ford, Southeast Missouri State

CB Mike Hughes, UCF

CB Donte Jackson, LSU

S Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin

S Derwin James, Florida State

WR Keith Kirkwood, Temple

OLB Mike Love, South Florida

T Kolton Miller, UCLA

WR J'Mon Moore, Missouri

WR Dante Pettis, Washington

FB Austin Ramesh, Wisconsin

DT Jullian Taylor, Temple

DT Vita Vea, Washington

WR Justin Watson, Penn

OL Conner Williams, Texas

TE Deon Yelder, Western Kentucky

The Packers didn't fair very well with signing UDFA's that they brought in for visits this year. People may think that I'm a half bubble off for saying this, but I think the weather may have played a part in this. These visits are a chance for the Packers to sell themselves to the players who don't get drafted as the place they what to go to work at. A first impression. As a young player from the south or west coast coming to GB in April in a snowstorm isn't the greatest first impression that a person can have. Not a dealbreaker, but a strike against and if all things are equal elsewhere it could of made the difference with some.