May 24, 2018, 10:27:01 PM

Author Topic: Dez Bryant  (Read 2046 times)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Dez Bryant
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:04 PM »
The only way he comes to GB is if he's willing to accept that he would be the #2 WR, we already have our #1 in Adams.

If he accepts that, and a modest 1 yr. deal, and lets the Packers put in a team distraction/bad chemistry clause in the 1 yr deal..........then we may be interested.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
When Bryant was first cut, it was assumed he'd have multiple teams interested, and he'd go on a recruiting tour, with him choosing among multiple offers. Instead, Baltimore is apparently the only team to make him an offer. Since it was multi-year, he turned it down, looking for a one year "prove it" deal.And there seem to be no takers on that front. The real question for the Packers is whether he'd be a good fit with Rodgers. Bryant is a receiver who will out fight a defender for the ball, even though he looks covered. Romo trusted him; Prescott didn't. So, his production dropped, his paycheck didn't match his production.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
Maybe that's because Dak isn't as accurate a passer as Romo was?

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
Dak Prescott also attempted significantly fewer passes per season than Romo did and Rodgers did in his previous two full seasons.   The Dallas offense shifted to Elliott as the primary option

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »
Maybe that's because Dak isn't as accurate a passer as Romo was?

Romo was at 65.3 completion percentage for his career. Prescott is at 65.2. True, the number of years is not the same, but so far, they are in a virtual tie.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 06:39:43 PM »
Dak Prescott also attempted significantly fewer passes per season than Romo did and Rodgers did in his previous two full seasons.   The Dallas offense shifted to Elliott as the primary option

Prescott has attempted 949 passes his first two seasons. Romo in his first two years as a starter threw 857 times.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »

Prescott has attempted 949 passes his first two seasons. Romo in his first two years as a starter threw 857 times.

Neat.

Those dates do not overlap Dez Bryant's career.    During Dez's best seasons (prior to Ezekiel Elliott's arrival) Romo averaged significantly higher attempts and/or significantly higher completion %.    During the last 4 full 16 game seasons of Rodgers' career he averaged almost 90 more attempts per season than Dak has in his last 2

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
I think Bryants slim chance of landing in GB hinges on day 2 or 3 of the draft.  If the Packers take a WR on Friday or Saturday early, Bryant is an afterthought.  If they dont, Bryant may have a very slim chance of being in GB.  I think they'll take a WR somewhere in rd 2-4. JMO.

Offline davekenya

• All Pro
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 07:18:05 AM »
I'd be against Bryant - not because of his abilities/attitude, but more the cost. 
I think we'll get by fine with Adams, Cobb, Graham, and an occasional Monty.  15% of the passes also going to other WRs already on the roster and/or 2018 draft pick.  If somebody emerges, then the 15% goes higher.

I think the offense is screwed if Graham is injured; plain and simple.  Adams and Cobb can't keep an entire defense honest.  But this is another conversation.

The biggest reason I'd pass on Bryant would be to save the 9M (or whatever) he'd cost us in 2018; bank that money and use it to extend Wilkerson before he hits the open market after 2018  if he reverts to form.  He might want to stay with Pettine and his system - who initially and again with GB in '18 helped him maximize his talents.  A front DL of Wilkerson, Clark and Daniels (spelled currently by Lowry and Adams -- who really is still an unknown) would set us up well for several years.  If Wilkerson isn't worthy of a contract extension, fine, let him go after '18 and use the money elsewhere.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Neat.

Those dates do not overlap Dez Bryant's career.    During Dez's best seasons (prior to Ezekiel Elliott's arrival) Romo averaged significantly higher attempts and/or significantly higher completion %.    During the last 4 full 16 game seasons of Rodgers' career he averaged almost 90 more attempts per season than Dak has in his last 2

Fair enough. In his final two seasons when he played full time, each season in 15 games, Romo attempted a total of 970 passes. One year, he was at 63.9% completion rate; the next year, 69.9%. So, hopefully that clarifies things. Rodgers attempts per season are irrelevant, since he obviously didn't have the stud RB that Dallas does.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »
With Bryant's market cap shrinking and the lack of interest around the league at what point should Green Bay consider signing him?

I was 100% against signing him initially, but now he could be a real bargain deal. I don't buy the "teams won't even sign him for the league minimum" narrative. My number to sign him would be 4-5 million on a 2-3 year deal. I'd even go ahead and fully guarantee his contract at that price.

The biggest factor in my mind is how will he fit into the locker room and on the sidelines. There has only been speculation about Bryant going to Green Bay in the media, so at this point I believe they have no interest in him. It's still worth discussing though. It would also be a giant slap in the face to Nelson unless they sign him cheap.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »
With Bryant's market cap shrinking and the lack of interest around the league at what point should Green Bay consider signing him?

I was 100% against signing him initially, but now he could be a real bargain deal. I don't buy the "teams won't even sign him for the league minimum" narrative. My number to sign him would be 4-5 million on a 2-3 year deal. I'd even go ahead and fully guarantee his contract at that price.

The biggest factor in my mind is how will he fit into the locker room and on the sidelines. There has only been speculation about Bryant going to Green Bay in the media, so at this point I believe they have no interest in him. It's still worth discussing though. It would also be a giant slap in the face to Nelson unless they sign him cheap.

Bryant doesn't want a multi-year contract. Will he accept a longer deal because there is nothing else available? We'll see. But I have to say, your analysis of the situation is as succinct and flawless as I've read. However, if he's winning, and putting up some good numbers, I don't see him as being a problem. The problem would be with all the WR's the Packers drafted, already have on the team, and with Adams effectively being named the #1 WR, where would that leave Bryant? That is the "fly in the ointment, the monkey in the wrench" for the Packers. So, yes, your scenario makes sense, but I don't see it happening.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
Jason Witten, the admitted Packers hater and accused 'Garrett Guy' by Dez Bryant has successfully trolled both Bryant and Packers fans in one fell swoop. With his first act as part of the media he declares Bryant will end up in GB, knowing that Bryant has a bad taste in his mouth about the Packers and a sizable portion of the Packers fanbase would lose sleep over the idea of Bryant in green and gold. Personally I find it hilarious and look forward to his future trolling of the Giants, Eagles and Redskins fanbases. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Gute does here and what management style he takes.  TT likely wouldnt have had any part of Bryant in Green Bay.  A guy like John Schneider could comb prisons looking for a player if he could find them, and let Pete Carroll handle them.   I dont think Bryant will be in GB because of all the WRs they drafted.   Gute may have a different approach and style to these type situations.  We'll see. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
A little something for those that are continuously lost in the Dez Bryant weeds.

Zachary Jacobson

@ZachAJacobson
 11m11 minutes ago
More
#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers on the Dez Bryant rumors: “We like young receivers, so I’m assuming that’s the way they are going to keep going. I don’t know why you’d cut Jordy and bring in Dez—but he’s a talented player. He’s going to end up somewhere.”