May 22, 2018, 10:45:23 AM

Author Topic: Colts draft surprise  (Read 711 times)

Offline PackerJoe

• All Pro
Colts draft surprise
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:18:43 AM »

With Luck's status still undetermined do they pick a qb's at 3?

Online RT

• HOF Member
Re: Colts draft surprise
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:15:04 AM »
The Colts have the 6th overall pick now.

This question was asked on Colts talk radio with a AFC south scout as a guest. His response was that Jacoby Brissett isn't Steve Young backing up Joe Montana, but Brissett was one of the better backups in the NFL. The Colts have many more needs than worrying about QB.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22:29 AM »
It's amazing that the Pats had Brissett and Jimmy G, two starter types backing up Brady.

And we had Hundley backing up Rodgers.

Geez.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
Just injecting a couple of facts here.

Patriots QB's drafted.
2011 - Ryan Mallett - 3rd round
2014 - Jimmy Garoppolo - 2nd round
2016 - Jacoby Brissett - 3rd round

Same timeframe.

Packers QB's drafted.
2012 - BJ Coleman - 7th round
2015 - Brett Hundley - 5th round

Based on draft capital investment I would think the results are as expected.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
It's amazing that the Pats had Brissett and Jimmy G, two starter types backing up Brady.

And we had Hundley backing up Rodgers.

Geez.

Garoppolo was a second round choice; Brisset a third. Would you have been happy with the Packers drafting QBs in those spots with all their other needs? Also, lets not forget that at one time the Packers had Brunnell, Hasselbeck and Flynn on the roster. Besides, how many were contemplating getting a high draft pick (at least a third, if not a second or first) for Hundley before he was forced to play real games? You never know what you've got until the real games are played. Brady himself was a sixth round pick. Kurt Warner (who was in a Packers camp) became a starter when Trent Green was lost for the season. Hindsight is always 20/20.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
lets not forget that at one time the Packers had Brunnell, Hasselbeck and Flynn on the roster.

In one camp we had Favre, Brunell, Detmer, Warner. Four starters, two HOF.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 04:32:42 PM »
lets not forget that at one time the Packers had Brunnell, Hasselbeck and Flynn on the roster.

In one camp we had Favre, Brunell, Detmer, Warner. Four starters, two HOF.

Funny part about that was Warner never made it out of camp!

Let's rescind Ron Wolfs HOF bust & jacket!!
 sarcasm

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »
You know RT and Ricky I don't know what your argument is.

TT paid the price for not having a back up QB and so did we.

You are going to tell me that say in the last five years, we could not have invested a number two or three pick on a QB?

I mean please.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 04:31:44 AM »
Did it ever dawn on you that I may have just added some information to add prospective to the thread.

Is it possible that the reason the Patriots invested as much draft capital as they did in QB's over that period of time was because of Brady's age? Logic may lead some to think that. Brady is 6 years and 60 days older than Rodgers. When reviewing the amount of draft capital spent by the Patriots during the same age time frame we find an investment similar to what the Packers have invested in the last 6 years. The Patriots QB draft choices from 2004-2010,

2005 - Matt Cassel 
2008 - Kevin O'Connell
2010 - Zac Robinson

Hardly murderers row, Cassel was a 7th round pick out of USC that never started in college and has gone on to make a career in the NFL. I tip my hat to him. O'Connell held a clipboard his rookie season and then was gone. Robinson never made it out of training camp his rookie season, among their first cuts that year. No Jimmy Garroppolo type 2nd round investments there. The point is that they were not spending 2nd and 3rd round picks every other year on backup QB's when Brady was younger. Will the Packers start to invest in the QB position in the near future a little more heavily? Without doubt, but the Packers approach was and is the norm in all of the NFL including the Patriots.

I realize that factual information may screwup your narrative that TT is blame for everything that has ever gone wrong in the world, but believe it or not he is not the reason your car didn't start this winter. Teams take risks, some bigger than others, but it is the design of the NFL to have parity by not allowing teams to stockpile talent for long.

I mean please, now don't let TT make you stub your toe on that coffee table this morning. 

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
Getting back to the Colt's big surprise....I have wondered the exact same thing. Luck isn't even throwing yet and Brissett is good....but not another top ten QB. They are in great position to grab a QB and nobody is even considering them for that position. I would love it since it would push the top players further down to Green Bay's slot.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Getting back to the Colt's big surprise....I have wondered the exact same thing. Luck isn't even throwing yet and Brissett is good....but not another top ten QB. They are in great position to grab a QB and nobody is even considering them for that position. I would love it since it would push the top players further down to Green Bay's slot.

I can understand how that would add to the drama, but why would they have traded out of the 3rd spot then. Those types of decisions are not made on a whim.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 05:35:32 AM »
They did not.  They took the best OL in the draft.

Which seems to indicate they think Luck in returning.

Offline Participant

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 05:27:36 PM »
I don't know how I would feel if I were a Colts fan right now regarding the Luck situation. Trust management I guess, but that injury or condition he has been rehabbing would make me someone skeptical he'll ever be the Luck of old, but hope he gets back to 100 percent. Regardless, Nelson was the best player available AND it fit a big need on the offensive line. Or, maybe they just didn't like the QBs available this year other than Mayfield and Darnold, or they are OK with Brissett.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
They can't move on from Luck quite yet, regrdless of that shoulder.

Cutting him now would mean them taking a $34.2M cap hit this year.