September 23, 2018, 03:25:20 PM

Author Topic: Your Top 5 for Round 1...  (Read 1694 times)

Offline WTX_Cheese

• All Pro
Your Top 5 for Round 1...
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:42 AM »
Pretty simple, just rank your Top 5 guys for the Packers in Round 1 (and why, if you want)

1.) Derwin James (Safety - Florida St.) - A "Do it all" player for the defense. He can cover as a deep safety, cover in the slot, play "in the box", be an effective blitzer.

2.) Leighton Vander Esch (LB - Boise St.) - At this point, I think he's pretty underrated. He's an excellent run defender, is pretty fluid in coverage and has improved as a blitzer.

3.) Harold Landry (DE/OLB - Boston College) - He had a down year because of injuries, but when healthy he is arguably the best pass rusher in the draft. His athletic testing was on par with players like JJ Watt, Demarcus Ware, etc.

4.) Josh Jackson (CB - Iowa) - An ace ballhawk despite only 1 year of production. Not extremely experienced in pure man coverage, but his athletic testing is excellent and the sky is the limit for him.

5.) Quenton Nelson (G - Notre Dame) - Despite playing a non-premium position, I would have no issue with picking an elite talent like Nelson for the O-Line. A "Ten Year Starter" more than likely.

Offline jbailey00

• Rookie
Re: Your Top 5 for Round 1...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
1) Minkah Fitzpatrick (DB - Alabama): Athletic, talented, and flexible all thru the defensive backfield.  Movable piece for the defense to create / exploit mismatches.  Perfect fit for the NFL of today.

2) Derwin James (S - Florida St): Similar to above, but more of a blitz threat off the edge.  No ability to go wide, but could play either safety or in the slot.

3) Harold Landry (Edge - Boston College): Best pass-rusher in the draft IMO.  Great bend around the edge with all of the moves and speed as well.  Played hurt most of last year leading to some bad film.

4) Roquan Smith (LB - Georgia): Just makes plays all over the field.  Can go sideline to sideline, and drop in coverage as well as blitz.  True 3 down LB against multiple offensive fronts.

5) Denzel Ward (CB - Ohio St): Best cover corner.  A bit small for what the Packers like but can play any coverage and will come up to hit.  Would be a great CB counterpart to King.

Offline gary

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
1) Vita Vea- I know we don't need DT now but game changer with special abilities which will make CBs look better
2) Harold Landry- the more I see the more I like
3) Derwin James- anyone with comparisons to our past game changer Charles Woodson would be a have to; again not place of need but BPA
4) Minkah Fitzpatrick- for same reasons as James
5) Denzel Ward- another top notch CB would help the defense immensely

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
I would love to get Nelson, but I think he is gone in the top ten. Nelson is going to turn out to be a Pro Bowl guard for a long time.

I also think Fitzpatrick and James will be gone.

I like both Smith and Landry and I think they will be there.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »
I would love to get Nelson, but I think he is gone in the top ten. Nelson is going to turn out to be a Pro Bowl guard for a long time.
The same was said of Guard Jonathan Cooper (7th overall in 2013). Even 'sure things' aren't.

I'm not sure how Smith fits with the Packers. A 6'1", 235lb outside linebacker with his athleticism is a fit as a 4-3 Will, he doesn't translate to a 3-4 OLB, where you want 6'3" to 6'6"  height and 255-265 lb.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
Green Bay's needs: Pass rusher and press corner.
Looking at the first round only:
1st priority:Edge Pass rusher- Chubb, Davenport, Landry in that order
2nd priority:CBs- Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Jackson in that order
3rd priority: LBs- Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch in that order
I don't consider LBs as a high priority as pure pass rushers.
So my top 5 board would be:
Ward
Fitzpatrick
Davenport
Smith
James
Edmunds

Chubb isn't in there because he's gone pretty quickly along with Nelson and Barkley which are my top three players.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
1) Vita Vea- I know we don't need DT now but game changer with special abilities which will make CBs look better
2) Harold Landry- the more I see the more I like
3) Derwin James- anyone with comparisons to our past game changer Charles Woodson would be a have to; again not place of need but BPA
4) Minkah Fitzpatrick- for same reasons as James
5) Denzel Ward- another top notch CB would help the defense immensely

I love Vea, he wont be a big sack guy, but I love what he brings.  Hes an extremely active 340 pound tackle.  As you said, hes not a need for GB, but I wouldnt be disappointed if they took him.  If you want to build a great defense, starting with him would be a solid choice for some team in this draft. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »
Vita Vea may well be their selection. In looking at him as a pick in the first 16 of the 1st round makes me think of something Ron Wolf once said. On some TV draft coverage after he retired, they were discussing a players draft potential as a high 1st round pick. Wolf's comment was something like, 'you don't draft front seven defensive players in top half of the 1st round that are not high volume sackers of the QB'. That comment has always stuck with me and does make perfect to me.   

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
Barring anything crazy happening (trade, player X dropping), and you know it will.  I think their choice will come down to Davenport or Josh Jackson.  Both are needs, both could go right about that time if not sooner.  I think if the Packer go up a few spots it will be for James or Ward.  I heard they really like Ward but he'll be long gone by 14.  Do they like him enough to go get him??  JMO

We should also start getting PED usage, MJ usage, police reports, wonderlic scores, girlfriend accusations, runs with the wrong crowd,  he's put on 30 pounds since the combine, and all the dirt that comes with the week of the NFL draft.  Cant wait.

Offline SB XLIX

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 11:33:00 AM »
I cant imagine that James, Landry, Jackson, Fitzpatrick and Nelson are all available.  If one of those guys is available (except Nelson) they would probably do well to take him.
I don't like the little CB Ward, Smith seems slight as well, but he will be gone anyway.
If I look at CBS Sports or NFL.com top 15, none of these guys are left at 14.  Maybe one makes it if 4 QBs are taken, but it seems a stretch to think that teams really believe there are 4 franchise QBs in this draft.

Online claymaker

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
1 - Minkah Fitzpatrick : Really talented DB. I believe he won't fall out of the top 10, but he's my pipe dream player this year. You need to have a talented secondary just as much as you need a formidable pass rush. Fitzpatrick would dominate in the middle of the field as a slot style CB.

2 - Marcus Davenport : It appears Green Bay will have a realistic shot at seeing him on their board in the first round. Most athletic pass rusher in the draft, and should impact the pass rush as a rookie. I wouldn't pass on him.

3 - Josh Jackson : Ballhawking CB. Good athleticism and the height you want in your boundary CBs. He will be there at 14 if Green Bay wants him.

4 - DJ Moore : My favorite WR in this year's draft. Great RAC guy. Strong, explosive route runner. A faster Davante Adams. Taking him at 14 would turn a few heads, but it wouldn't bother me too much.

5 - Calvin Ridley : Slightly behind DJ Moore in my analysis, but I still like him a lot.

My best case scenario is Fitzpatrick @14 with a trade back into the 1st for Davenport. Most likely scenario, to me, would be taking Davenport @14. Jackson @14 isn't a bad plan B.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
The same was said of Guard Jonathan Cooper (7th overall in 2013). Even 'sure things' aren't.

I'm not sure how Smith fits with the Packers. A 6'1", 235lb outside linebacker with his athleticism is a fit as a 4-3 Will, he doesn't translate to a 3-4 OLB, where you want 6'3" to 6'6"  height and 255-265 lb.

You are comparing apples and oranges with Cooper and Nelson.

Cooper was about three inches shorter and about 20 pounds lighter, with nowhere near the strength and run blocking ability Nelson has.  Nelson pancakes guys.  Cooper was more of a pulling type, finesse guard.  I was never on his bandwagon.  Nelson has the ability to be not just Pro Bowl, but all Pro, he is that dominant in the run game.

Smith is what we need on our LB corps.  The trend has been to faster, quicker guys who can run down sweeps from the inside and cover RB and TE over the middle zone.  Smith is  a 4.5 guy who is also very quick and can avoid blocks.  Neither of our MLB have that kind of ability.  Especially Ryan.  With Smith and Martinez, we could put CM 3 and Perry on the outside.

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
Good lists by all.

IMO a good pass rush will help the secondary a little more than the other way around. Having said that, my picks would be based upon who I think will be there AND best player available.

1) Leighton Vander Esch - Ready to step on the field. Will be an instant upgrade over Ryan. The sky is the limit for this kid.
2) Harold Landry - At this point he may be a one trick pony, but that is one helluva trick!
3) Vita Vea - While he may not get the sacks, he will push the pocket. QB's hate nothing more than a pocket collapsing from the inside. Would be a valuable part of a rotation.
4) Marcus Davenport - All the physical tools one could want. Will experience some growing pains. Has the potential to be a force but may take some time. If he was a finished product he would be long gone before 14.
5) Josh Jackson - Film does not lie. Film is outstanding.

Actually as far as I'm concerned you could put these names in a hat and shake them up. Take one to the podium and I'd be happy.

Just as important as the first pick is how they follow up through the next few rounds.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 07:03:25 AM »
1.) Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame    OL
2.) Harold Landry, Boston College   EDGE
3.) Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State  LB
4.) Josh Rosen, UCLA   QB
5.) Derwin James, Florida State   DB
6.) Taven Bryan, Florida   DL

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
1. Sam Darnold
2. Saquon Barkley
3. Bradley Chubb
4. Josh Rosen
5. Denzel Ward

My top 5.  Well these guys should be on the top of the Packers board.  Of course probably none of them will fall to us.  Left Nelson off not because he is not deserving but would pick any of these guys ahead of him.  Possible Ward falls in our laps unlikely but possible.  Any of them fall we'll take them.

Realistic top 5.

1. Denzel Ward
2. Tremaine Edmunds
3. Quenton Nelson
4. Derwin James
5. Roquan Smith

One of these guys may very well make it to 14.  Any of them there I run the card up.

Worst case top 5.

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick
2. Marcus Davenport
3. Harold Landry
4. Taven Bryan
5. Vita Vea

One of these guys will definately be available.  All good players.  If this is what Gute is looking at a potential trade back could be in the offing.