November 21, 2018, 11:57:49 AM

Author Topic: Two RB's  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
Two RB's
« on: April 24, 2018, 06:58:39 AM »
IMO, we really have not solved our RB problem.

The only guy I really like is Davis.  And I do not think Montgomery should be playing RB. I have said before and still say: we should have released Cobb and inserted Montgomery.

Two guys I like in the draft who will probably not go in the first or second are Ryan Nall from Oregon St. and John Kellly from Tennessee.

Nall is a big bruiser type who comes in at 6' 2" and 230 lbs.  But he still runs about  4.57 and can cut.  He could be an H back.

Kelly is a smaller, faster guy who is still pretty strong at 5' 10" and 215 lbs.   He reminds some people of Marshawn Lynch in his younger days.

To be candid, I would not mind getting both of them.  That is how much help I think AR needs.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: Two RB's
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
So, you want to draft replacement clones for Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones? Interesting.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
So, you want to draft replacement clones for Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones? Interesting.

Williams - 213#
Jones - 208#

How is a 6'2" 230# bruiser a clone of one of these RB's?

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
Thanks, I did not see the logic of that either.

I meant I would keep Jones and not keep Williams or Mays.

ANd if you look at Kelly, that guy is not like Williams, who I think is a straight line slasher.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Oh, I'd still like to keep Williams and Jones. But I also want to add a bigger RB that can help with the pounding that they take.

Last year Monty went on IR.
Williams missed time, and so did Jones.

They need an additional RB, and a bigger body makes sense to me.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »

Williams - 213#
Jones - 208#

Williams is a tough, tough runner. He usually takes the first hit and keeps on churning, and usually got yards after contact. He was a bruising RB. Jones, before the injury, proved to be a back with some moves to evade tacklers. So, you have a good pair of RBs. Both also showed the ability to catch passes. Now, the knock on Jones, in particular, was not an adequate blocker, which is of course necessary in the Packers system. So, would getting a heavier back improve the running game a great deal? If so, why not use Ripkowski more often? A third day addition, sure. Anything earlier, no thanks.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

Williams - 213#
Jones - 208#

Williams is a tough, tough runner. He usually takes the first hit and keeps on churning, and usually got yards after contact. He was a bruising RB. Jones, before the injury, proved to be a back with some moves to evade tacklers. So, you have a good pair of RBs. Both also showed the ability to catch passes. Now, the knock on Jones, in particular, was not an adequate blocker, which is of course necessary in the Packers system. So, would getting a heavier back improve the running game a great deal? If so, why not use Ripkowski more often? A third day addition, sure. Anything earlier, no thanks.

Neither of the players mentioned in the OP will likely get drafted before the 4th-5th rounds.

So you should be cool on this!  thumbsup)

Also, there's more than a fair chance Ripkowski gets replaced this year. He's not a great lead blocker, I guess.
(Think Austin Ramesh)  ;D

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
Mays could be a beast too.  Didn't get to see much of him last year.  We have 4 backs.  Monty, Jones, Williams, and Mays.  2 bruisers and 2 shifty guys.  Pretty well set.  If the opportunity presents itself to upgrade the position in the draft OK but the player would have to be pretty good to beat out our current stable.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
I'd be happy with Sony Michel
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »
I'd be happy with Sony Michel

Just read one of his knees is bone on bone.  He's headed for a fall.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
Mays could be a beast too.  Didn't get to see much of him last year.  We have 4 backs.  Monty, Jones, Williams, and Mays.  2 bruisers and 2 shifty guys.  Pretty well set.  If the opportunity presents itself to upgrade the position in the draft OK but the player would have to be pretty good to beat out our current stable.

Like the Packers, I forget about Mays. Fumbling problems benched him, but the guy is 5'11" and 225-230 pounds. So, there you have your "pounding back". Unless the team has given up on him. We'll see when camp opens, and see how many carries he gets in the exhibition season. I still don't see the need to go for RB's, because there are more needs at other positions.

So, going back to the original post, get rid of a big pounder to get another big pounder? And get another shifty back because...? Unless one of those guys is a terrific blocker, it seems the Packers already have enough RBs on the roster.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:15 AM »
I think if the Packers go to a RB it would be in the 5th or later rounds and it will be one of the 5-7, 5-8 RBs from NC State or CO. A quicker smaller version of Jones. Even then....hard to believe they would draft one, but Gutsey has 12 picks!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »

Packers also have RB Joel Bouagnon (6-2/230) and udfa the Bears signed/released last year to go along with 7th round Mays.

What's wrong with adding a proven bigger RB that has more potential upside than either of these two players and helps create more competition in training camp.

Cream always rises to the top!

Sitting on our laurels, suggesting what we have is good enough, is how TT got into trouble with many position groups on this roster.

FWIW

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
I'm more comfortable with the group of RB's than Gregg is and I do think Monty is a more than serviceable RB; however, if the team were to add to the stable I do like John Kelly a lot. 

I also like Ballage but despite his size he's far from the bruiser back some prefer.   More of a 1 cut North-South runner but a very good receiving back

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 06:49:43 AM »
I'm more comfortable with the group of RB's than Gregg is and I do think Monty is a more than serviceable RB; however, if the team were to add to the stable I do like John Kelly a lot. 

I also like Ballage but despite his size he's far from the bruiser back some prefer.   More of a 1 cut North-South runner but a very good receiving back

Both Kelly and Ballage running styles fit the Packers offense. Not a need, but like danno said their is nothing wrong with adding competition late in the draft. Makes the team and position group stronger.