November 21, 2018, 12:24:44 PM

Author Topic: Vander Esch has a major health concern.  (Read 1024 times)

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
Vander Esch has a major health concern.
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
According to Mike Mayock on his mock draft tonight, Vander Esch is dropping and is off some boards entirely due to a cervical issue. Wonder how bad it is and how far he will drop.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Vander Esch has a major health concern.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
Heard this also.  Danno has been shooting me down.  Spinal stenosis narrowing of the spinal canal in his neck.  We'll find out tomorrow.  If it's true he won't be taken in the first round.  If it is true hope he is off the Packers board entirely.  We haven't had much luck with guys and necks.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
If he has spinal stenosis, I'm with scoremore,no way do I want this guy on the team. But, Vander Esch has dismissed any concerns. But, will that be enough to allay the fears of the teams who might consider drafting him? Dallas is rumored to be interested, and they have shown a willingness to take a chance on players, both with legal and physical issues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/25/leighton-vander-esch-dismisses-concern-about-neck-as-somebody-trying-to-get-clicks/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline footballdad

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:46:59 AM »
Really having mixed thoughts on this one. Players always want to play, so it's not surprising Vander Esch would say nothing is wrong.
As a player I would love to see in the green & gold, just don't know if it would be worth the risk. One would hope that if something serious like spinal stenosis was true...........someone close to him, LIKE HIS PARENTS would tell him to walk away.

Guess we will find out tonight.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »
Cn you imagine that Gutsey takes him at 14 and after the first two games they have to retire him because of stenosis...there would be a lynching!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:41 AM »
Okay................I'll put this out there ONE MORE (AND LAST) TIME!!

That rumor about Vander Esch has been out there for weeks.

My guess is that either MN or the Steelers are pushing this story, maybe DAL too. The Steelers have been very public about their giant man crush for said LVE. And MN would also love to add another high caliber LB to their roster, as insurance in case they lose Anthony Barr to free agency next year. That's probably why Mayock has joined in on the hype. He's a vike fan to the core.

Tony Pauline has also debunked this vicious rumor.

Here's the skinny for ALL of you........................(spoiler alert! Stinger/pinched nerve)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

PFW obtained a copy of the medical report from the NFL scouting combine showing that Vander Esch was given a passing grade for his health and was not asked to come back to the April medical re-check in Indianapolis, which very commonly happens when initial tests are concerning or inconclusive.

The combine medical report gave Vander Esch a medical grade of 4 out of a possible 5 — the lower the number, the more concerning the player's injury status is. A five would be a fully healthy player with no known medical issues; typically players are only red-flagged if they receiver lower than a 3 on the combine report.

This clears up some of the picture, as Boise State's coaching staff adhered to a policy of not revealing the specific nature of injuries for their players. Two scouts had mentioned to PFW previously Vander Esch's right knee injury, a grade-1 LCL sprain, which he suffered in August of 2016.

But it appears the more concerning injury was actually a neck impingement Vander Esch suffered in September of that year in a game against Oregon State and initially was diagnosed as a concussion. We spoke with a source who had knowledge of Vander Esch's medical history who told us that the concussion diagnosis was found to be incorrect after Vander Esch told the school's medical staff he was not suffering any concussion-like symptoms but rather pain in his neck.

Upon further evaluation, Vander Esch was found to have suffered a stinger — an extremely common injury among linebackers especially — and began wearing a neckroll thereafter once he returned to the field. Vander Esch later visited with a chiropractor, who quickly adjusted him, relieved the pain from the pinched nerve and helped clear his path to return to the field.

The actual wording of the combine medical report we received indicated the pinched nerve in the cervical area, and we've never heard of a prospect being medically red-flagged for that. The report indicates no structural damage was found, nor was there any evidence that Vander Esch suffered a significant concussion or any further head trauma in that incident almost 18 months ago.

Steelers and Vikes (and possibly Dallas) are just trying to push a player down the board so they can get a shot at him. It's unethical IMO, but it goes on all the time. Doing this kind of garbage can cost a kid like LVE a lot of money, but teams like MN and Pitt don't give a crap about that.

I'll ask Mayock (Vikes fan) again...............name the teams who have removed him from there boards.

HERE'S MORE.....................

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-arent-worried-about-Leighton-Vander-Eschs-neck-117670514
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:52:50 AM by dannobanano »

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
Someone ask me yesterday why teams would putout negative information when the other teams have their own information already. The answer is because it works. It creates the seed of doubt. If you are a young GM or a GM who thinks this is a make or break draft for you and your job hangs in the balance, are you going to draft the guy named with a medical issue in the media or a guy with a equal grade who has not publicly been named. Their can be nothing wrong with him, but he gets hurt his rookie season with something and your owner only remembers the false, pre-draft info. They didn't get where they are at by not knowing they need to cover their *ss.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:39 PM »

My guess is that either MN or the Steelers are pushing this story, maybe DAL too. The Steelers have been very public about their giant man crush for said LVE. And MN would also love to add another high caliber LB to their roster, as insurance in case they lose Anthony Barr to free agency next year. That's probably why Mayock has joined in on the hype. He's a vike fan to the core.

Here's the skinny for ALL of you........................(spoiler alert! Stinger/pinched nerve)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/16/way-we-hear-it-combine-medical-report-disputes-leighton-vander-esch-concerns/a45fktj/

PFW obtained a copy of the medical report from the NFL scouting combine showing that Vander Esch was given a passing grade for his health and was not asked to come back to the April medical re-check in Indianapolis, which very commonly happens when initial tests are concerning or inconclusive.

The combine medical report gave Vander Esch a medical grade of 4 out of a possible 5 — the lower the number, the more concerning the player's injury status is. A five would be a fully healthy player with no known medical issues; typically players are only red-flagged if they receiver lower than a 3 on the combine report.

This clears up some of the picture, as Boise State's coaching staff adhered to a policy of not revealing the specific nature of injuries for their players. Two scouts had mentioned to PFW previously Vander Esch's right knee injury, a grade-1 LCL sprain, which he suffered in August of 2016.

But it appears the more concerning injury was actually a neck impingement Vander Esch suffered in September of that year in a game against Oregon State and initially was diagnosed as a concussion. We spoke with a source who had knowledge of Vander Esch's medical history who told us that the concussion diagnosis was found to be incorrect after Vander Esch told the school's medical staff he was not suffering any concussion-like symptoms but rather pain in his neck.

Upon further evaluation, Vander Esch was found to have suffered a stinger — an extremely common injury among linebackers especially — and began wearing a neckroll thereafter once he returned to the field. Vander Esch later visited with a chiropractor, who quickly adjusted him, relieved the pain from the pinched nerve and helped clear his path to return to the field.

The actual wording of the combine medical report we received indicated the pinched nerve in the cervical area, and we've never heard of a prospect being medically red-flagged for that. The report indicates no structural damage was found, nor was there any evidence that Vander Esch suffered a significant concussion or any further head trauma in that incident almost 18 months ago.

Steelers and Vikes (and possibly Dallas) are just trying to push a player down the board so they can get a shot at him. It's unethical IMO, but it goes on all the time. Doing this kind of garbage can cost a kid like LVE a lot of money, but teams like MN and Pitt don't give a crap about that.

I'll ask Mayock (Vikes fan) again...............name the teams who have removed him from there boards.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Bolt/Pittsburgh-Steelers-arent-worried-about-Leighton-Vander-Eschs-neck-117670514

I agree this would be completely unethical if true. But you think Mayock wouldnt verify this type of info before he puts it out there? We are talking a superstar in the draft process vs someone from 247 sports. Not saying you're wrong, but I wouldnt think that Mayock would put it out there so lightly.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 08:53:55 PM »
The scheme worked and the Cowboys got him.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 06:33:06 AM »

I agree this would be completely unethical if true. But you think Mayock wouldnt verify this type of info before he puts it out there? We are talking a superstar in the draft process vs someone from 247 sports. Not saying you're wrong, but I wouldnt think that Mayock would put it out there so lightly.

I reread what Mayock said...................He said Cervical Impingment, which is another term for pinched nerve.

Media and fans took that and extrapolated it into meaning he had spinal stenosis.

Rumors, begat rumors..............people need to fact check themselves.

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 07:00:17 AM »
But that doesn't serve their agendas, danno. ;D