October 15, 2018, 01:58:08 PM

Author Topic: Pick #88 - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt  (Read 603 times)

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
Pick #88 - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt
« on: April 28, 2018, 07:54:10 AM »
New general manager Brian Gutekunst is using his first draft to address a defense that finished 26th in points allowed per game last season. Burks is a good value pick at 88th overall, and he improves depth at inside linebacker where he fits best in the Packers' scheme.

Steve Muench
ESPN

Oren Burks is a solid pick in the middle of the third round. He's an athletic linebacker with nice instincts, and he could eventually become a starter for the Packers, who desperately needed some inside linebacker help.

B+ Grade
Walter Football

In any other decade, Burks' lack of familiarity for any position for more than a year would force him into the "tweener" stack and he would be on his way. In today's game filled with hybrid players and sub-packages, Burks' background could make him more valuable. He needs to play with more consistency in diagnosing and tackling, but his athleticism, cover talent, and ability on special teams make him a developmental prospect with decent upside.

NFL.com
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:57:15 PM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Pick #88 - Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »
From McGinn

12. OREN BURKS, Vanderbilt (6-3, 232, 4.62, 4): Started 19 games at free safety in 2014-’15 before shifting to ILB in a 3-4 defense the past two years. “Smart as a whip,” said one scout. “There’s no doubt this guy will play. What a great kid. This is the type of kid you search for.” Finished with 237 tackles (15 1/2 for loss), 4 ½ sacks, five interceptions and 26 passes defensed. Tied for the positional lead in the vertical jump (39 ½) and led the broad jump (10-10). “Good instincts against the run,” a second scout said. “Can roam, match up and blitz on third down. Tough.” Wonderlic of 24. From  Fairfax Station, Va.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
Not saying it's a sure thing, but he could be that piece they need for the middle of the field that's been missing.

Martinez has been strong defending the run, and Burks shows traits of being very good in pass coverage against TE's and RB's along with sideline-sideline range that Martinez lacks.

Burks, if they can coach him up fast, allows Josh Jones to focus on being a Safety instead of a hybrid role.

This will be interesting to follow.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
BTW................DraftScout.com had Burks rated as a 3rd round pick, so that's one site that really didn't consider him a reach where the Packers took him.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »
BTW................DraftScout.com had Burks rated as a 3rd round pick, so that's one site that really didn't consider him a reach where the Packers took him.

I didn't think he was a reach at all. I listed him as a 4th rounder only because I visioned him as the possible Packers selection with the first pick in the 4th round. Which I noted in my mock. The beauty of it is also fills a hole.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »
Jaire Alexander scores a 131.7 on SPARQ which scores athleticism, ranked him 8th out of 165 CB's measured from this draft. He was 5th of all CB's on the RAS scale with a 9.54.

Josh Jackson scores a 133.2 on SPARQ, ranked 6th of 165 CB's. On the RAS he scores 9.27 which is 10th of all CB's.

Oren Burks scores a 143.1 on SPARQ, ranked 3rd of 185 LB's. On the RAS he scores 9.72 which is 6th of all LB's.

Is it too early to call this a trend? 3 elite athletes.

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 08:50:35 AM »

Ourlads' Profile:

2017 Highlights

Starting at his third different position in as many seasons, Burks registered 82 tackles last season to finish No.2 among Vandy defenders. Twice set single-game bests in tackles, tallying 12 vs. Kentucky and later credited with 15 vs. Florida. Also recorded seven tackles for loss, a sack, one interception and a fumble recovery. Finished his college career as the Commodores’ active leader with 237 tackles and 15 ½ TFLs. Originally came to Vandy as a LB but was moved to safety during a redshirt season. Spent two seasons in the secondary before shifting to a hybrid LB/safety position as a junior, then returned to LB for his final season. Younger sister Whitney starts at shortstop for Stanford’s softball team.
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
Jaire Alexander scores a 131.7 on SPARQ which scores athleticism, ranked him 8th out of 165 CB's measured from this draft. He was 5th of all CB's on the RAS scale with a 9.54.

Josh Jackson scores a 133.2 on SPARQ, ranked 6th of 165 CB's. On the RAS he scores 9.27 which is 10th of all CB's.

Oren Burks scores a 143.1 on SPARQ, ranked 3rd of 185 LB's. On the RAS he scores 9.72 which is 6th of all LB's.

Mayock listed Burks at #79 on his Big Board.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »

I didn't think he was a reach at all. I listed him as a 4th rounder only because I visioned him as the possible Packers selection with the first pick in the 4th round. Which I noted in my mock. The beauty of it is also fills a hole.

It never crossed my mind that you thought he was a reach, RT.  thumbsup)

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »

Mayock listed Burks at #79 on his Big Board.

Seems like Mayock had a lot of things right in this draft.