July 22, 2018, 10:46:16 PM

Author Topic: UDFA info thread  (Read 3089 times)

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
Re: UDFA info thread
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »
When signing UDFAs', your hoping that a couple can make the team and a few can make the practice squad. I would think there's a spot open at backup DT and TE. Maybe a couple of the OL can make the practice squad. If the staff doesn't put them on the active roster, there's still veterans that are out there, like Dial.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
Tyler Lancaster/DT/Northwestern
6-3.5/313/4.96-40/36 bench
https://www.insidenu.com/2018/4/26/17282660/tyler-lancaster-nfl-draft-scouting-report-projection-rankings-defensive-tackle

Tyler Lancaster may not have been invited to the NFL combine, but his Northwestern Pro Day stats line up pretty well with the defensive lineman who did attend. Throughout his career at Northwestern, Lancaster has overcome massive obstacles and proved himself to be a team leader, an incredibly hard worker and a force for running backs and quarterbacks to reckon with.
Lancaster has elite strength and leverage to his game, which makes it nearly impossible for offensive linemen to move him. He often draws double-teams and shifted protections, which creates space for other rushers to attack the quarterback.
Lancaster’s a beast when it comes to stopping the run game, but his pass rush abilities are not as strong which makes him less dynamic and less appealing to NFL scouts. He doesn’t have an elite first step or superb quickness, which is a must in the NFL.
Nosetackles are a dying breed in today’s NFL. It’s unclear where Lancaster fits in, given that he probably isn’t enough of a pass-rush threat to slot in as a 4-3 tackle.

I could see this guy making the team as a backup to Kenny Clark, using him as a run plugger at the 1 technique in a 4-3 under.   Kind of a long shot, but I don't see an obvious back up to Clark on the roster right now.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:49:00 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »
Normally there are 1-2 guys that stand out and i'm excited to see them suit up in August.   I'm just not that excited by any of the guys in this UDFA class.   Maybe that's a good sign for our roster.  Hoping there's a surprise from someone but I'd much rather bring Dial back for the DL and look to make a potential trade for TE (like Nick Boyle or Maxx Williams in BAL)

Offline Descartes

• Rookie
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:38:40 AM by Descartes »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
Bob McGinn

Verified account

@BobMcGinn
 Apr 29
More
#NU's Tyler Lancaster, one of Green Bay's rookie free agents, tested better than any of the 14 drafted nose tackles other than Washington's Vita Vea.

I still think the guy would make a NFL starting caliber RG.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
A Nine-man star.

http://www.startribune.com/damon-gibson-s-next-stop-after-minnesota-state-moorhead-could-be-the-nfl/480890251/

That is super cool!  I totally want him to become good, that would be a great story! 

Vikings star Adam Thielen was an UDFA from Minnesota State Mankata, which is in the same conference as Minnesota State Moorhead.  Would be super awesome if Gibson had a Thielen-like rise, and become to receiving TE's what Thielen is relative to WR. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
Zach Kruse

Verified account

@zachkruse2
 2h2 hours ago
More
#Packers had a bunch of eventual UDFAs in for pre-draft visits and they appear to have only signed one: QB Tim Boyle.

The Packers need to bushup on their sales skills a little bit, that is not a very good closing percentage.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
With the release of Callahan their is room for 15 UDFA's.

Raven Greene, DB, James Madison
Parris Bennett, LB, Syracuse
Damon Gibson, TE, Minnesota-Moorhead
Tim Boyle, QB, Eastern Kentucky
Kevin Rader, TE, Youngstown State
Marcus Porter, LB, Fairmont State
Filipo Mokofisi, DT, Utah
Jacob Alsadek, OL, Arizona
Tyler Lancaster, DL, Northwestern
C.J. Johnson, LB/DE, East Texas Baptist
Austin Davis, OL, Duke
Chris Seisay, CB, Portland State
Naashon Hughes, LB, Texas
Alex Light, OL, Richmond
Kyle Meadows, OL, Kentucky
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:55:21 PM by RT »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »
Bob McGinn

Verified account

@BobMcGinn
 Apr 29
More
#NU's Tyler Lancaster, one of Green Bay's rookie free agents, tested better than any of the 14 drafted nose tackles other than Washington's Vita Vea.

I still think the guy would make a NFL starting caliber RG.

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/4/28/17297694/tyler-lancaster-signed-by-green-bay-packers-undrafted-free-agent-northwestern-defensive-tackle

Many have speculated that Lancaster could switch sides of the ball — to the offensive line — in the NFL, but it remains to be seen whether he’ll make that transition.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »

Austin Davis, OL, Duke
Alex Light, OL, Richmond

Their is one difference from this list and the players the Packers have reported as signed today. Damon Gibson is not listed as one of the signed players, but former Badger DL Conor Sheehy is one of the 14 signed today. Interested to see if Gibson possibly failed his physical, if I get any information I will update here.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
Here are the 16 players invited as tryouts this weekend:

QB Nick Stevens, Colorado State
CB Mike Minter, Middle Tennessee State
CB Tray Mitchell, Eastern Illinois
FB Caleb Melton, Cal Poly
RB Sherman Badie, Tulane
RB Anthony Philyaw, Howard
TE Marcus Bryan, UNC-Wilmington
LB Greer Martini, Notre Dame
S Joe Ferguson, Wisconsin
TE Ryan Smith, Miami (Ohio)
G R.J. Prince, North Carolina
T Sunny Odgwu, UCLA
DE Mack Weaver, Eastern Illinois
LB Derek McCartney, Colorado
LB Jacob Onyechi, Air Force
LB Xavier Thigpen, So. Miss

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 06:57:38 PM »
Anthony Philyaw is interesting.

6-0/212/4.50-40/19 bench/36 vertical/6.99 3-cone/4.45 20-shuttle
(Also saw one place that listed his 40 time as 4.44)

2016 - 10 games - 222 rush attempts/1230 yds (5.5 per rush/9 TD/21 pass receptions/215 yds
2017 - 11 games - 135 rush attempts/ 769 yds (5.7 per rush)/9 TDs/11 pass receptions/139 yds/1 TD

I wonder if there was a coaching/coordinator change from 2016 to 2017 that caused his drop in touches/production.

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/football/hbcu-players-to-watch-in-the-nfl-draft/article_7dbd3992-7e2c-55d0-84aa-9a1c8d317663.html

Philyaw had a great four-year career at Howard. He was one of the best running backs in the MEAC.

Philyaw can run between the tackles and knows how to cut back against the grain. This past season, he rushed for 769 yards on 135 carries while scoring nine touchdowns. Philyaw runs with a good combination of power and speed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:08:32 PM by dannobanano »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »
Whoa!

Sherman Badie - Tulane
5-11/194/4.39-40/15 bench/33 vertical/7.25 3-cone/4.23 20-shuttle

Has some great straightline speed, but his 3-cone isn't all that great.

decent kick returner. 3 yr average of 23.1 yds/return with 1 TD.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2018, 07:29:00 PM »
Anthony Philyaw is interesting.

6-0/212/4.50-40/19 bench/36 vertical/6.99 3-cone/4.45 20-shuttle
(Also saw one place that listed his 40 time as 4.44)

2016 - 10 games - 222 rush attempts/1230 yds (5.5 per rush/9 TD/21 pass receptions/215 yds
2017 - 11 games - 135 rush attempts/ 769 yds (5.7 per rush)/9 TDs/11 pass receptions/139 yds/1 TD

I wonder if there was a coaching/coordinator change from 2016 to 2017 that caused his drop in touches/production.

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/football/hbcu-players-to-watch-in-the-nfl-draft/article_7dbd3992-7e2c-55d0-84aa-9a1c8d317663.html

Philyaw had a great four-year career at Howard. He was one of the best running backs in the MEAC.

Philyaw can run between the tackles and knows how to cut back against the grain. This past season, he rushed for 769 yards on 135 carries while scoring nine touchdowns. Philyaw runs with a good combination of power and speed.

Philyaw was a player that I had noted as a potential UDFA in the Big Board thread post on Packer type RB's. He checks all the boxes from testing and measurables. Interesting to see if he can get himself a spot on the 90 man roster this weekend.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »

Austin Davis, OL, Duke
Alex Light, OL, Richmond

Their is one difference from this list and the players the Packers have reported as signed today. Damon Gibson is not listed as one of the signed players, but former Badger DL Conor Sheehy is one of the 14 signed today. Interested to see if Gibson possibly failed his physical, if I get any information I will update here.

Also missed that Chris Seisay is not on the list of signed players.