November 13, 2018, 08:47:17 AM

Author Topic: Guesses at the 53 man roster  (Read 4762 times)

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
Guesses at the 53 man roster
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:24:29 AM »
Just for fun and it’s always interesting see what the actual roster ends up being.

QB:3
Rodgers
Kiser
Hundley

RB:4
Jones
Williams
Montgomery
Mays

FB:1
Ripkowski

WR:7
Adams
 Cobb
Allison
Moore
St. Brown
Valdes-scantling
Yancey

TE:3
Graham
Kendricks
UDFA(one of the two guys)

OL:9
Baktiari
Taylor
Linsley
Madison
Murphy
Bulaga
McCray
Amichia
Spriggs

DL:5
Daniels
Wilkerson
Clark
Lowry
Adams

LB: 8
Perry
Martinez
Burks
Matthews
Biegel
Gilbert
Fackrell
Ryan

DB:10
King
Williams
Alexander
Clinton-dix
Jones
Brice
Jackson
Pipkins
House
Evans

ST: 3
Crosby
Bradley
Scott

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Guesses at the 53 man roster
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:28:24 PM »
Oh nellie, the wayyy to early roster debates are under way.

QB - I agree for now that they will run with 3 this year, but to most fans disapproval Hundley will be the number two this coming season.

RB - For now their is no reason to believe that the same 4 will not makeup the RB room.

FB - I'm not ruling out they keep 2 FB's again this season and go with only 2 TE's. They have run with that roster configuration in the past and lack of current known depth may lead to that again. FB's and TE's are married together when constructing the roster, not WR's and TE's.

TE - Having 2 seasoned veterans would make it easy to carry a third developmental type who excelled on ST's, who that would be is a complete mystery for now.   

WR - This is the position as much as any that creates the most debate year after year. The Packers have kept 5 to 7 for the last several years and doubt it won't fall in that range again. Adams and Cobb are not going anywhere. Moore is a 4th round pick and he would need to completely fall on his face not to be in. Valdes-Scantling adds a Jeff Janis type skillset on special teams, he is a gunner, he has a knack at blocking punts. That will give him a big legup on some of the others that don't contribute on ST's. From your list of Allison, St. Brown and Yancey - this group may be battling for 1 spot, 2 at best. St. Brown may be this years version of Dupree, if he doesn't kill it from the line of scrimmage in the preseason he probably doesn't make the cut. In my eyes Yancey is a very big longshot to make it, if he couldn't find his way onto the roster at the end of last season, how is he going to after they drafted 3 more at his position this year. You have left Davis off this list and his chance to make the roster is greater than a number of the ones you have chosen. If a WR is not one of the first 3 on the depth chart he needs to contribute on ST's and Davis is an ascending returner. Others will add Clark to the list as someone with a real chance, he was clearly ahead of Yancey last year when he was elavated to the 53 ahead of Yancey.

OL - I could see 8, 9 or 10 being kept this year. The only one you have that I will disagree with is Amichia, not sure why you would believe he would be ahead of Pankey and Patrick. Both are young ascending players who were on the roster last year. Patrick even made a start.

DL - The first 5 are kind of givens, but I think their is a strong chance they keep 6 this year. I think Looney could be that guy. He might be a player who could fill-in as a edge player also.

LB - This number will probably fall at nine, 3 inside - 6 edge. Odom was carried all season last year, that should tell us that they like his raw talent.

DB - This number seems to grow each year. Last year they started the season with 12. Kind of thinking in could be 7 CB and 4 S this year. Their should be some very keen competition at the CB position in the preseason. Don't expect them to keep House over young CB's that show upside in training thou.

You have your roster a little out of balance with 27 offense and only 23 defense. Last year it was 24 offense and 26 defense to start the season, the year before it was 25 and 25.

Their are probably 45 to 48 roster spots already made barring injuries, so the off-season debate will be for the mostpart about 5 to 8 roster spots. The debate can be fun, but in the end it will come down to which young men in that group of about 40 wants the jobs more. For them, all is yet to be determined. 

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »
The punting competition might get interesting.  Scott is a pretty good directional punter.  Read somewhere he only had 5 returns all of last year at Bama.   Good hang time,  many of his punts are fair caught.   Hes got a real slow delivery though. Kind of odd looking form, it looks shorter, but he takes his time, and his anchor foot never leaves the ground.   I thought Vogel did pretty good last year, but there must be something they dont like.  Trouble with training camp  is you cant see how these guys kick in December.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
The punting competition might get interesting.  Scott is a pretty good directional punter.  Read somewhere he only had 5 returns all of last year at Bama.   Good hang time,  many of his punts are fair caught.   Hes got a real slow delivery though. Kind of odd looking form, it looks shorter, but he takes his time, and his anchor foot never leaves the ground.   I thought Vogel did pretty good last year, but there must be something they dont like.  Trouble with training camp  is you cant see how these guys kick in December.   

We have seen how Vogel kicks in all sorts of situaitons in real games. Vogel is good, but does seem to have a "shank" per game. And using a fifth round pick on him indicates they're serious about upgrading the position. So, it might be Scott's position to lose. Same with the LS.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »

We have seen how Vogel kicks in all sorts of situaitons in real games. Vogel is good, but does seem to have a "shank" per game. And using a fifth round pick on him indicates they're serious about upgrading the position. So, it might be Scott's position to lose. Same with the LS.

Scott's punting average by year was:
2014 - 48.00
2015 - 44.20
2016 - 47.19
2017 - 42.96

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »

2014 - 48.00
2015 - 44.20
2016 - 47.19
2017 - 42.96

For comparison, Vogel's average at Miami was 42.5, 42.8, and 43.8.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 08:10:07 PM »
2014 - 48.00
2015 - 44.20
2016 - 47.19
2017 - 42.96

OK. But (apparently) the reason the Packers drafted him was the lack of returns/ball placement. Here's an article about his senior season:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/12/how_jk_scott_changed_his_punti.html

Here is the reason the Packers drafted him, from the article:

Of his 42 punts this year, 54.7 percent ended in fair catches. That's more than double from the 23.4 percent fair-catch rate last year.

Touchbacks also fell from 23.4 percent last year to 7.1 percent in 2017.

Most importantly, the Scott limited Alabama opponents to three punt returns this season. That tied for the national best with Toledo as no Tide foe recorded a return until the eighth game of the season against LSU.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline bmaafi

• Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:25 PM »

WR - This is the position as much as any that creates the most debate year after year. The Packers have kept 5 to 7 for the last several years and doubt it won't fall in that range again. Adams and Cobb are not going anywhere. Moore is a 4th round pick and he would need to completely fall on his face not to be in. Valdes-Scantling adds a Jeff Janis type skillset on special teams, he is a gunner, he has a knack at blocking punts. That will give him a big legup on some of the others that don't contribute on ST's. From your list of Allison, St. Brown and Yancey - this group may be battling for 1 spot, 2 at best. St. Brown may be this years version of Dupree, if he doesn't kill it from the line of scrimmage in the preseason he probably doesn't make the cut. In my eyes Yancey is a very big longshot to make it, if he couldn't find his way onto the roster at the end of last season, how is he going to after they drafted 3 more at his position this year. You have left Davis off this list and his chance to make the roster is greater than a number of the ones you have chosen. If a WR is not one of the first 3 on the depth chart he needs to contribute on ST's and Davis is an ascending returner. Others will add Clark to the list as someone with a real chance, he was clearly ahead of Yancey last year when he was elavated to the 53 ahead of Yancey.

OL - I could see 8, 9 or 10 being kept this year. The only one you have that I will disagree with is Amichia, not sure why you would believe he would be ahead of Pankey and Patrick. Both are young ascending players who were on the roster last year. Patrick even made a start.

DL - The first 5 are kind of givens, but I think their is a strong chance they keep 6 this year. I think Looney could be that guy. He might be a player who could fill-in as a edge player also.

LB - This number will probably fall at nine, 3 inside - 6 edge. Odom was carried all season last year, that should tell us that they like his raw talent.

DB - This number seems to grow each year. Last year they started the season with 12. Kind of thinking in could be 7 CB and 4 S this year. Their should be some very keen competition at the CB position in the preseason. Don't expect them to keep House over young CB's that show upside in training thou.

WR - well they could end up cutting Allison for all we know. I think he is on the fence since he had such a down second year and the new guys are all way more gifted than him and all kind of a similar skill set. So you could take him off and add another OLB. As far as Davis I thought no he is all but gone. The packers don’t like having a player on the roster who only returns and doesn’t contribute from scrimmage. Davis has not developed as a receiver at all and with Alexander now he can do the returns which saves them a roster spot. As for yancey I like him on the roster because he brings a different skill set than the three new kids. Reports were towards the end of the season he was looking good on the ps. He came into camp overweight and that set him back so I think if he comes in great shape and works hard he has a good shot. As for Clark I honestly forgot him. He could make it as well.

OL - My thought was teams tend to give draft picks more chances than undrafted guys and kofi has some upside, probably more than Patrick or pankey. But really they could keep any one of those three.

DL - One of looney’s weaknesses was average athleticism and a lack of any real pass rush ability. so I can’t see him playing on the edge.

LB - They could keep one more definitely. Like I said earlier you can dump Allison and add Odom or one of the rookie OLBs.

DB - Actually I think you have to keep House, if not you are left with almost no experience on the roster outside of Williams. As for the young DBs, I think brown and pipkins are very similar type players so I don’t think they keep both. The other fast kid who’s name escapes my mind hasn’t done anything in two seasons except for looking lost on the field, maybe they keep him for special teams. Goodson just seems done and is coming off a major injury and is already 27-28 so I see them moving on there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:39:43 PM by bmaafi »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 04:16:28 AM »
I might go with:

QB  Rodgers, Hundley, Kizer
OL Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Linsley, Taylor, Spriggs, Murphy, McCray, Madison, Patrick
RB/FB Montgomery, A.Jones, Williams, Mays, Kerridge
WR D.Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore, Davis, Valdez-Scantling
TE Graham, Kendricks, Rader

Total = 26

DL Clark, Daniels, Wilkerson, Lowry, M.Adams
OLB Matthews, Perry, Biegel, Gilbert, Donnerson, Fackrell/replaced by outside roster cutdown
ILB Martinez, Ryan, Burks
CB King, Williams, Alexander, Jackson, House, Hawkins
S  Clinton-Dix, J.Jones, Brice, Evans

Total = 24

K  Crosby
P   Vogel (Scott makes the PS)
LS Bradley

Not so many new guys make the final 53 this year, most that are, were draft picks. QB Kizer (sort of new), G/T Madison, WRs Moore, Valdez-Scantling, UDFA TE Rader, OLB Donnerson, ILB Burks, CBs Alexander, Jackson, LS Bradley = 10 guys.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:31:30 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 07:34:00 AM »

WR - well they could end up cutting Allison for all we know. I think he is on the fence since he had such a down second year and the new guys are all way more gifted than him and all kind of a similar skill set. So you could take him off and add another OLB. As far as Davis I thought no he is all but gone. The packers don’t like having a player on the roster who only returns and doesn’t contribute from scrimmage. Davis has not developed as a receiver at all and with Alexander now he can do the returns which saves them a roster spot. As for yancey I like him on the roster because he brings a different skill set than the three new kids. Reports were towards the end of the season he was looking good on the ps. He came into camp overweight and that set him back so I think if he comes in great shape and works hard he has a good shot. As for Clark I honestly forgot him. He could make it as well.

OL - My thought was teams tend to give draft picks more chances than undrafted guys and kofi has some upside, probably more than Patrick or pankey. But really they could keep any one of those three.

DL - One of looney’s weaknesses was average athleticism and a lack of any real pass rush ability. so I can’t see him playing on the edge.

LB - They could keep one more definitely. Like I said earlier you can dump Allison and add Odom or one of the rookie OLBs.

DB - Actually I think you have to keep House, if not you are left with almost no experience on the roster outside of Williams. As for the young DBs, I think brown and pipkins are very similar type players so I don’t think they keep both. The other fast kid who’s name escapes my mind hasn’t done anything in two seasons except for looking lost on the field, maybe they keep him for special teams. Goodson just seems done and is coming off a major injury and is already 27-28 so I see them moving on there.

First off, I am not going to pound the table for anyone yet. What I will do is interject at times with facts, quotes and/or links of facts or opinions from people who are much more knowledgable than we are. But you have made comments that are just factually incorrect.

Lets look at the case of James Looney. You state that 'One of looney’s weaknesses was average athleticism', that comment is 100% incorrect. Lets supply a fact here,

Zach Kruse

@zachkruse2
 3m3 minutes ago
More
#Packers take Cal DL James Looney at 232. Another big-time athlete. Tested in the 93.1 percentile in SPARQ, second to only Taven Bryan. 6-3, 287. He can really move at that size.

He tested as the 2nd most athletic DL in this years draft and is in the top 7% of all players in the draft for athleticism. Hardly average.

In post draft commentary he was compared to Datone Jones as a player and where did the Packers play Jones the final year he was with them? They used him inside AND on the edge. Here is Rob Rang's comment after his selection,

In the seventh round, with action winding down, Gutenkunst grabbed an athlete who fell in the Packers’ lap at a position that does not have immediate need. While Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels have the interior of the line handled, it could help to have a guy like Looney grow into a rotational pass rusher from the inside to give them a breather. Looney compares to Datone Jones who was a productive backup in his rookie contract with the Packers a few years ago.

Here is both of their combine numbers,

Datone Jones

COMBINE
STATS:
3 Cone Drill
7.32 secs
Vertical Jump
31.5 inches
40 Yard Dash
4.8 Secs
Broad Jump
112.0 inches
20 Yard Shuttle
4.32 secs
Bench Press
29.0 reps

James Looney

4.89s 40-yard dash; 28  reps bench press; 35.5-inch vertical jump; 113-inch broad jump; 7.32s 3-cone drill; 4.37s 20-yard shuttle.

Weight at the combine: Jones 288 - Looney 287

Their is some history of Pettine taking a Looney-like player and using him on the edge. Adalius Thomas was a 6th round DL pick of the Ravens that was moved to the edge because of his athleticism and went onto a very productive 10 year career in the NFL. Will this be the path the Packers decide to take with Looney? I don't know, but to dismiss it as having no chance would be a bit close minded. IMO

I could go on about Davis also, but I will save that for another time.   

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
I think posters need to be careful in being too certain of a players fit or lack-there-of in the Packers defensive system as none of us know what Pettine's plan is.

We can speculate about how they would have fit with the Jets, Bills, or Browns, but only time will tell here.

Just because a player wasn't on our radar screen doesn't mean they will be a wasted pick. 
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
I think Allison's job is in serious jeopardy and doesn't make the 53.   We drafted three players with his size - each of which run .18 (Moore) to .30!! (Scantling) faster.  I think he gets Guntered.

If the team prefers size/speed than Davis is also in a dog fight.   He certainly has the speed but at 6'1 and <200lbs he's at a significant size disadvantage.  Was making strides as a returner so he better flash there this preseason and not fair catch in the 5.  If the team were to let Jaire handle punt duties (will they do that with their 1st rounder?) than he's lost a lot of value.

It's probably unrealistic to expect all three new WR's to play well enough to earn a roster spot, but right now I think they're all better prospects than Allison, Davis, Clark or Yancey.

My early, early prediction is they carry 6 at WR --  Adams, Cobb, Davis (only for return value), Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St Brown.   I think Clark is still eligible for the PS again? as is Yancey

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
.... ..Here is the reason the Packers drafted him, from the article:

Of his 42 punts this year, 54.7 percent ended in fair catches. ...
Touchbacks also fell ... to 7.1 percent in 2017.
Most importantly, the Scott limited Alabama opponents to three punt returns this season. ...

Ricky or anybody, I'm confused by this numbers. 
So, total of 42 punts:
*23 are fair catches (55%)
*3 are touchbacks (7%)
*3 are returned (7%)

So, what happened to the other 13 punts (31%)?  Am I missing something obvious, or do these numbers not add up? 

By the way, I *LOVE* the idea of a big-leg who can hang them and pin them inside the 20. 

(Heh heh, now that Janis is gone, we don't have the great gunner anymore!  :):)  But if you have a hang-em-high fair-catch punter, who needs a gunner anymore?)

Note:  I also thought I read something to the effect that Scott might be a better holder than Vogel?  Beats me, but that's another task where malfunction can cost you points. 

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »
.... ..Here is the reason the Packers drafted him, from the article:

Of his 42 punts this year, 54.7 percent ended in fair catches. ...
Touchbacks also fell ... to 7.1 percent in 2017.
Most importantly, the Scott limited Alabama opponents to three punt returns this season. ...

Ricky or anybody, I'm confused by this numbers. 
So, total of 42 punts:
*23 are fair catches (55%)
*3 are touchbacks (7%)
*3 are returned (7%)

So, what happened to the other 13 punts (31%)?  Am I missing something obvious, or do these numbers not add up? 

Well. I guess he could have kicked the other 13 out of bounds. Thus the directional thing.

Online marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
My SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess) is we only keep two QBs. We have a lot of DBs and WRs, I can't see why we would keep 3 QBs. If Rodgers and Kiser both get hurt, well, it's put a WR or RB at QB and hand off a lot.

JMO, YMMV.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!