May 22, 2018, 10:52:38 AM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 2185 times)

Online RT

• HOF Member
Packers transactions
« on: April 30, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
Starting a thread for transactions. Should be a fair number of them in the next couple of weeks and it would be nice to have a central location for them. First one,

Zach Kruse

Verified account

@zachkruse2
 5m5 minutes ago
More
The Packers have released QB Joe Callahan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:54:40 AM by RT »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:54 PM »
Saw that move coming when they signed Boyle.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
Idk what they are doing with Hundley. No one will trade for him, delay the misery and cut the weight.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »
Idk what they are doing with Hundley. No one will trade for him, delay the misery and cut the weight.

Their is a strong likelihood that your misery will carry on throughout all of the 2018 season. Unless Kizer absorbs the playbook much quicker than what is expected of him and plays lights out during the preseason, their is a high probability that Hundley will be QB2 for 2018.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
Yeah, I think there's at least a chance that they carry Hundley along for a while again, and perhaps have him as #2 QB due to familiarity. 

I hope that doesn't actually happen, though.  We know that Hundley doesn't have any upside or long-term potential with the Packers, so if you keep him, that means you're cutting somebody else.  I'd like to hope they've got somebody else at 53rd-man with the talent and +D potential that they end up liking too much to cut. 

As a fan, I'd like back-of-roster guys to be guys I've got hopes for.  (Even if dumb and naive!)  If St. Brown and Vazquez-Scantling make the back of the roster, I'll hope that these are talented, promising redshirts who are going to develop into useful varsity players in future.  But Hundley, I don't really have any hopes or anything to look forward to!  So I kinda feel like *IF* Hundley makes it, it's a sad sign because it probably means they don't have any exciting +D guys that they mind cutting. 

Kizer is supposed to be a pretty smart guy brains-wise; so I'm hoping he's a relatively quick-study. 
*He's already played a bunch, so the speed of NFL-game isn't new for him. 
*Because he got traded a while back, he's had more time to study than a newly-drafted rookie. 
*Given the price they paid to get him, Gute really likes him; and given that he's got a much stronger arm than Hundley, there will obviously be plays he can make that Hundley can't.  So it woudln't shock me if when it came down to cases, that they woudln't rather stick him in a game than Hundley, with the talent outweighing the playbook familiarity. 
*MM has talked about re-doing the playbook.  I don't believe that to actually be very radical.  But *IF* there is a substantial re-do of the playbook anyway, that might reduce some of Hundley's experience-advantage. 
*With every week that Rodgers doesn't get injured, that's more time for Kizer to practice and learn the playbook.  So even if he isn't totally comfortable by week 1, they may figure that will increase week by week? 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
Justin Vogel requests, and apparently is granted, his release:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/04/report-justin-vogel-requested-release-from-packers/

I agree with Zach’s take on this, although I can understand Vogel’s perspective as well. Here’s an excerpt from the Zach Kruse article:

”The Packers could have used the competition for a rookie in training camp. No first-year player is ever a sure thing, even if the Packers really like Scott’s ability. The hit rate of drafting punters is nowhere near 100 percent. Vogel would have provided a strong insurance plan.

It’s equally disappointing for Vogel. He might find an easier competition elsewhere, but the NFL is built on competing for a job, and he wasn’t willing to battle for his against a rookie. Even if he lost the job later this summer, a strong camp and preseason would have put Vogel in a prime position to get picked up elsewhere. Punters are claimed off waivers all the time before the season.”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:42:38 PM by JQ »

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 04:27:01 PM »

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/04/report-justin-vogel-requested-release-from-packers/

I agree with Zach’s take on this, although I can understand Vogel’s perspective as well. Here’s an excerpt from the Zach Kruse article:

”The Packers could have used the competition for a rookie in training camp. No first-year player is ever a sure thing, even if the Packers really like Scott’s ability. The hit rate of drafting punters is nowhere near 100 percent. Vogel would have provided a strong insurance plan.

It’s equally disappointing for Vogel. He might find an easier competition elsewhere, but the NFL is built on competing for a job, and he wasn’t willing to battle for his against a rookie. Even if he lost the job later this summer, a strong camp and preseason would have put Vogel in a prime position to get picked up elsewhere. Punters are claimed off waivers all the time before the season.”

In related, if not exciting, news:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/04/packers-sign-j-k-scott-hunter-bradley/[/url]

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:36:22 PM »

Surprised that they couldn't get a conditional 7th round pick for him.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »

I'm surprised at your surprise, since you are usually very perceptive. So, why not a conditional seventh? Because teams knew he'd probably be available for nothing at some point. And, that a lot of FA and UFA punters will be readily available before the season starts.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »

I'm surprised at your surprise, since you are usually very perceptive. So, why not a conditional seventh? Because teams knew he'd probably be available for nothing at some point. And, that a lot of FA and UFA punters will be readily available before the season starts.

You are correct from a timing standpoint. With the Seahawks, Raiders and Jaguars all drafting punters the Packers may well have been a week to late to try and gain a conditional pick for him. As for why would someone giveup something when he will be available for nothing? The reason is if the team that would like him for nothing is well down on the waiver claim list, in that case they will never get a chance at him for nothing if someone ahead of them should also want him. Secondly, if he does clear waivers he is now free to want a pay increase from his rookie minimum deal now that he has proven himself . A trade would give the trading team a punter for the lowest NFL salary for his year in the league for the next 2 years and a 3rd year on the dirt cheap.

Their is a recent comp for Vogel. When the Broncos signed Marquette King after the Raiders released him, they in-turn traded Riley Dixon to the Giants. Vogel and Dixon are very similar, both 2nd year players coming off rookie season that showed some promise.

http://nfltraderumors.co/trade-broncos-trading-p-riley-dixon-giants/

Comparable stats.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=PUNTER&d-447263-s=PUNTING_NET_AVERAGE

As you can see, Vogel would be an upgrade for several teams. Here is a look at all teams punter depth.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/P

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
RT, I thought of the possibility of a team wanting a punter upgrade so badly they'd trade for Vogel.The problem, as I see it, is that Vogel, though he had some good stats, also seemed to have at least one "shank" per game. The Packers said they'd drafted Scott they were looking for more consistency. Did they try to find a trade partner? I would think that is a "probably". But, again, was Vogel so special he'd be in demand? Apparently not. He'll probably sign with another team fairly soon. Will he make it with another team? We'll see.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »

From what I understand Scott can be a place kicker in a pinch as well. Vogel must have thought his okay year was nothing scoff, or draft at. I'll take the Scott kid. He seems like the real deal as he won the field position battle for the best college football program in the land, and the toughest coach in the land.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 12:49:52 AM »

Their is a strong likelihood that your misery will carry on throughout all of the 2018 season. Unless Kizer absorbs the playbook much quicker than what is expected of him and plays lights out during the preseason, their is a high probability that Hundley will be QB2 for 2018.

I suspect you are right. Because for having such great luck at the qb position for almost 3 decades, the Packers since the MM administration took over they really have struck out on number 2's. Hundley really took us by storm with how bad he was last year. I watched for entertainment and to track our run up the draft board. How can they really keep the guy? He isnt going to replace Aaron, who can play at least another 5-7 years,  and he cant be the guy who can come in and win for 3-4 games to keep a season afloat. His familiarity with "the system" is null for two reasons: he didn't grasp it after 3 years, and they supposedly scrubbed the whole.playbook and started from scratch. So he is essentially a 4th year rookie with regression on his resume.

Offline marklawrence

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 04:01:30 AM »
I'm not at all a hundley fan. That said, in fairness we must admit McCarthy put him in Aaron's system, while hundley would have had a much better chance of success in a one read run and shoot. I believe hundley was misused.

I think it also worth noting this was also a big complaint with capers. He wanted guys to fit his system instead of fitting his system to the guys he had.
I'm a Deplorable Freeloader, clinging to my Guns and Bible! And Proud of it!

Online RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
I'm not at all a hundley fan. That said, in fairness we must admit McCarthy put him in Aaron's system, while hundley would have had a much better chance of success in a one read run and shoot. I believe hundley was misused.

I think it also worth noting this was also a big complaint with capers. He wanted guys to fit his system instead of fitting his system to the guys he had.

+1

Well summed up it just a few sentences. Hundley's failure is as much on MM for trying to make him Aaron Rodgers, rather than playing to Hundley's strong suits.