May 24, 2018, 10:25:14 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 2356 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 05:31:38 AM »
RT, I thought of the possibility of a team wanting a punter upgrade so badly they'd trade for Vogel.The problem, as I see it, is that Vogel, though he had some good stats, also seemed to have at least one "shank" per game. The Packers said they'd drafted Scott they were looking for more consistency. Did they try to find a trade partner? I would think that is a "probably". But, again, was Vogel so special he'd be in demand? Apparently not. He'll probably sign with another team fairly soon. Will he make it with another team? We'll see.

Not sure why such a small comment on my part is growing into a bone of contention. If Vogel ends up in the top third in the NFL in punting despite the claims of shanking atleast one every game, that should make his value even stronger as he develops from his rookie season to a more consistent professional. It appears as more information comes out, that the Packers choose to avoid a potential awkward situation rather then waiting for a potential trade partner. I am not alone in this thought process.

Bob McGinn

Verified account

@BobMcGinn
 9h9 hours ago
More
At http://BobMcGinnFootball.com : Rob Reischel on punter Justin Vogel's thoughts about his stunning change of fortune. Rather than wait for a trade partner, Packers acquiesced to his request and cut him. Rookie D5 JK Scott has been handed job.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
Reading between the lines (if I may).

My take on what Rob Reischel said is that 1) Vogel is an extremely insecure person who can't handle the fact that he has to "compete" for his position and, 2) by his actions, Vogel comes across as a prima-dona pain in the keester.

No room for that kind of attitude on this roster.

Wonder how other teams will view his actions/attitude as he tries to find a new employer.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »
He should have stayed and competed.  It's a mark against him.  However he's a very good punter.  Someone is going to sign him.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
I don't agree.  I think Vogel's got a career to think about, he should absolutely put himself in a place where he's got his best chance to make it.  And I don't think the Packers are that place. 

A team doesn't spend a 5th round draft pick on a punter if they love the job you've done; and if they don't basically lean towards keeping the 5th-rounder.  All ties go to Scott in this case, even if Vogel stays around. 

Plus, it's also possible that Vogel gets youtube and stuff, too; and sees that Scott has a huge leg that can do things that Vogel's can't.  Scott does have a big leg, and many teams don't have a punter with that capacity.  So, I don't see anything wrong with Vogel just being realistic, and going someplace where he'll have a better shot. 

Also, I think many teams have backup QB's or non-punters hold.  Maybe Vogel just doesn't like being the holder and knows he's not very good at that, and would like to shoot for a team where he'd maybe not be obligated to that role? 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
I'm not at all a hundley fan. That said, in fairness we must admit McCarthy put him in Aaron's system, while hundley would have had a much better chance of success in a one read run and shoot. I believe hundley was misused.

I think it also worth noting this was also a big complaint with capers. He wanted guys to fit his system instead of fitting his system to the guys he had.

I respectfully kind of disagree.  A team works on a certain type of offense all camp, and all offseason planning, and all season long.  Kind of hard to drastically remake the offense on the spot to fit a backup QB.  You kinda ought to get a backup QB who can fit within your system, because it's hard to switch mid-season. 

Hopefully Kizer is a much better fit?  I think given that he has a much stronger arm, I think that's at least hypothetically possible.  A lot of the Packers offense hinges on a QB who can throw the ball and has a strong arm; Hundley doesn't.   

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »

Not sure why such a small comment on my part is growing into a bone of contention.

Because it's a slow time, there isn't much to talk about, so any comment gets extra scrutiny. No offense meant.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:46 AM »
The Packers are signing two of their tryout players: LB Greer Martini of Notre Dame and TE Ryan Smith of Miami (Ohio), per a league source.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Martini is signed to come in and STIR things up at the ILB spot, hopefully he was not SHAKEN by not being drafted. ;D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
The Packers are signing two of their tryout players: LB Greer Martini of Notre Dame and TE Ryan Smith of Miami (Ohio), per a league source.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Martini is signed to come in and STIR things up at the ILB spot, hopefully he was not SHAKEN by not being drafted. ;D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Martini was productive at Notre Dame. Played all 4 years. His short area quickness is ok (4.43/20-shuttle and 6.89/3-cone) which could be helpful in run support, but his 4.78 & 4.81 "40" times tell me he'd be a liability in pass coverage. Sounds like a Jake Ryan kind of guy. Good for him though, to flash enough to get to training camp.

The word on Ryan Smith is that he is primarily a blocking TE and could be useful in goal line situations as blocker/receiver. He's not a burner with a 4.87 "40", but he did post career highs in 2017 in receptions (31), yards (356), and TD's (5).

Online green machine

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »
The Browns claimed Vogel off waivers.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »
The Browns claimed Vogel off waivers.

No surprise with all the GB connections there and being first on the waiver list. According to NBC Sports their were 6 claims in for Vogel.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
The Packers have already signed 8 of the 11 draft choices from this year.

http://nfltraderumors.co/packers-sign-six-draft-picks/

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
Philadelphia Eagles

Verified account

@Eagles
Follow Follow @Eagles
More
Roster Move: #Eagles have signed QB Joe Callahan to a two-year contract.

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
Might the Packers be interested? The guy is 29, and could be some camp competition if nothing else.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/07/saints-release-coby-fleener/
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »
Might the Packers be interested? The guy is 29, and could be some camp competition if nothing else.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/07/saints-release-coby-fleener/

Thought he was going to be a stud coming out of Stanford, but it just has never happened. As for him to GB or anywhere for matter, don't know if anyone is going to take a chance on him with the Sam Shields like concussion history. It has been 5 monthes since his concussion in a week 12 game and he is still suffering effects of the head injury. Just too many concussions to risk it, he needs to takecare of himself and probably forget about football.

Offline SSGCujo

• HOF Member
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »
Coby Fleener has had five concussions since college. He's probably done, unless the Cowboys sign him. I'm sure that Gute will see who else gets released June 1st. What ever happened to Maxx Williams?