November 16, 2018, 12:18:30 AM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 17500 times)

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2018, 04:20:09 PM »
The Raiders have released Bruce Irvin.  He has ruffled some feathers on the teams he has been a part of, but the one thing this guy can do is get after the passer.  Not sure if Gute would take a chance on this guy, but the need for a pass rusher is certainly a position of need for this team. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »
The Green Bay Packers signed P Drew Kaser. The transaction was announced Saturday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

Kaser,  a 6-foot-2, 206-pound third-year player, was originally selected by the San Diego Chargers in the sixth round (No. 179 overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft out of Texas A&M and was released on Oct. 3. He has played in 36 career games, averaging 47.4 yards (40.2-yard net avg.) on 146 punts with a long of 69 yards and 50 punts landing inside the 20-yard line. Kaser has recorded two touchbacks on eight kickoffs. He will wear No. 10 for the Packers.

I will admit that I didn't see this one coming.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
The Raiders have released Bruce Irvin.  He has ruffled some feathers on the teams he has been a part of, but the one thing this guy can do is get after the passer.  Not sure if Gute would take a chance on this guy, but the need for a pass rusher is certainly a position of need for this team.

Is an interesting free agent for this time of year. Would think the Packers would not care to sign him, but I didn't think they would sign a punter today either.

Online B

• HOF Member
« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
What a head-scratcher? Two punters??? This makes NO sense.
The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game.
They just ran out of time.
-Vince Lombardi

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
Is something wrong with Scott??  Signing another punter to the roster makes 0 sense if he is healthy.  I can see bringing in a punter to maybe the practice squad to send a message - but to add one to the active roster is really, really strange.  This team has some other needs other than punter.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:42:21 PM by phanatic1 »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »
Is something wrong with Scott??  Signing another punter to the roster makes 0 sense if he is healthy.  I can see bringing in a punter to maybe the practice squad to send a message - but to add one to the active roster is really, really strange.  This team has some other needs other than punter.

Is it possible that Scott has a personal/family issue of some sort? Bizarre to say the least. 

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
Via ESPN:

Irvin was not on Saturday's NFL transaction wire, meaning he cannot be released until 4 p.m. ET Monday. When he is released, he will then go on waivers.

Even if the Packers were interested, I have to think some other team would have higher dibs in the waiver process. But that’s just one man’s opinion.

As far as the second punter goes, I found this quote by Zach Kruse quite amusing:

In a move currently lacking explanation, the Packers signed former Chargers punter Drew Kaser, filling in the roster’s last open spot after Tuesday’s trading deadline.”

No THAT’S an understatement!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
Could the reason for the 2nd punter be as simple as they are going to activate Davis next week and wanted to get him a ton of live punts to catch next week in practice. Using the 2nd punter without running the risk of stressing Scott's leg.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
Scott Grodsky

@ScottGrodsky
Follow Follow @ScottGrodsky
More
JK Scott's wife is pregnant with a due date in November. I'm not saying that's why the #Packers signed another punter (the team still hasn't commented) but it definitely makes sense.

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »
The reason for the punting move is that JK had a bad day on Sunday. This is to light a fire under him perhaps. Tho usually you would just sign the second punter to the practice squad.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
The Green Bay Packers signed P Drew Kaser. The transaction was announced Saturday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

Kaser,  a 6-foot-2, 206-pound third-year player, was originally selected by the San Diego Chargers in the sixth round (No. 179 overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft out of Texas A&M and was released on Oct. 3. He has played in 36 career games, averaging 47.4 yards (40.2-yard net avg.) on 146 punts with a long of 69 yards and 50 punts landing inside the 20-yard line. Kaser has recorded two touchbacks on eight kickoffs. He will wear No. 10 for the Packers.

I will admit that I didn't see this one coming.

This could be someone to split some time with Scott, so his leg doesn't get worn out. The college season is shorter, and getting used to the grind of travel, NFL workouts and other changes could be affecting Scott. His game against the Rams was pretty bad, but this would have been near the end of the college year for him. Including the exhibition season, he's already played in more games than he is used to. On the other hand, it could be there is a minor injury, or that the Packers simply want a "Plan B" in case Scott doesn't return to form. Then again, this could be me overthinking the situation.  :-\

Then there is this from CheeseheadTV: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-sign-p-drew-kaser-to-their-active-roster-635
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:54:26 PM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2018, 10:49:14 PM »
What a head-scratcher? Two punters??? This makes NO sense.

Actually, as you probably remember, the Packers actually carried two punters on their active roster for a season under Sherman. Neither worked out. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself. Just as Irwin could well be the return of Cletidus Hunt, another Sherman dud move. Not to be too harsh on Mike, after all he had a winning record in GB (57-39).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:51:01 PM by ricky »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2018, 02:01:14 AM »
RT I believe is right (personal issue).
J.K.Scott's wife about to give birth (in November), so very likely it is a short-term rental allowing Scott to be with his wife at birth.

As for Irvin, he was a poor fit for the new Raiders scheme. He was getting half the snaps of several other defensive linemen (in the region of 24 a game, compared to 50+ for the busier guys). He has three sacks, four QB hits and one forced fumble, this year.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:08:27 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2018, 06:33:02 AM »
RT I believe is right (personal issue).
J.K.Scott's wife about to give birth (in November), so very likely it is a short-term rental allowing Scott to be with his wife at birth.

As for Irvin, he was a poor fit for the new Raiders scheme. He was getting half the snaps of several other defensive linemen (in the region of 24 a game, compared to 50+ for the busier guys). He has three sacks, four QB hits and one forced fumble, this year.

If Pettine thinks he could be useful, bring him in.

Offline phanatic1

• Starter
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Still haven't seen any information about bringing in Kaser since the initial reports last night. I can remember a couple of years ago Crosby being pretty vocal about who is doing the holding for him and how particular he was about it.  Changing holders now would seem to impact that.  Kaser has kicked off - but only 2 touchbacks of 8 kicks, so it isn't like he would totally nullify Patterson. 

The only thing that makes sense is that Scott's wife is going to have their baby and he may be unavailable due to that reason.  I just don't see this being a long term thing of carrying two punters.  With needs at other spots, it will be hard to justify keeping Kaser around very long.