August 25, 2019, 05:23:40 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 37125 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »
Is Kummwerow going to pass up ESB and get some snaps or be a ST guy?  My feeling is that ESB will start out on the field, but once he does something that Rodgers doesn't like, he heads to the bench and Kummerow takes that spot.  And, I would put money that Rodgers gets him the ball quickly once he is in the game.

He has only been designated to return and begin practicing again, he has not been added to the roster. I will be very surprised if he is added to the 53 this week.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Follow
Follow @ByRyanWood

More
Rookie James Looney, who is on the #Packers practice squad, got some non-scout reps today. Wouldn't be surprised if they call him up with Mike Daniels expected to miss a couple weeks.

It will be interesting to see how they shuffle the roster to add him to the 53.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2018, 01:59:51 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Nick Perry's season is over. Packers placed him on injured reserve and promoted DL James Looney from the practice squad.

It ended up being a lost season for Perry, started training camp on the PUP and just never was healthy all season. It appears that the Packers are holding out hope that Daniels can make it back before the season ends.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Nick Perry's season is over. Packers placed him on injured reserve and promoted DL James Looney from the practice squad.

It ended up being a lost season for Perry, started training camp on the PUP and just never was healthy all season. It appears that the Packers are holding out hope that Daniels can make it back before the season ends.

Well, it seems the team hasn't given up on the season yet. If they had, Daniels would also be on the IR.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline phanatic1

• All Pro
« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More

And the end of Perry's career in Green Bay.  A ton of money spent on an under achieving OLB.  Yet another miss on a 1st round pick. 

Offline yourout

• Starter
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More

And the end of Perry's career in Green Bay.  A ton of money spent on an under achieving OLB.  Yet another miss on a 1st round pick.

Yup......big whiff. TTs 1st round record was pretty bad.

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More

I saw it before they drafted him.  Too big and slow and would get eaten up in the passing game.  He was Aaron Kampman at OLB.  They should move on, but not sure if the cap numbers will justify it next year.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More

I saw it before they drafted him.  Too big and slow and would get eaten up in the passing game.  He was Aaron Kampman at OLB.  They should move on, but not sure if the cap numbers will justify it next year.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Perry.

His cap number for next year is $14.43M.

Cutting/trading him will still leave $11.1M in dead money on the books, but they would realize $3.33M in additional cap space.

Even if they keep Perry next year, Gute is still going to have ~$50M in salary cap to play with..

IMO..............it kinda points to Perry staying one more year. In 2020 saying bye-bye would mean $7.4M in dead money and $6.9M in cap savings.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
I really disagree with the last handful of posts... What's happening here, and it's so common on message boards, posters are pushing their agenda rather than analyzing the situation.

The TT spin is unfortunate. Again, analyze, don't push an agenda.

The facts say, Perry was a good reserve his first four years and a quality starter the two previous seasons. Heck, in 2016 he was outstanding!... So, to now classify him as a "big whiff" and "too big and slow for the passing game" is beyond silly.

The overwhelming issue with Perry is he just can't stay healthy. When healthy, he's a heck of a football player, but he can't stay healthy... So, I 100% agree it's time for a change.

He's owed around $11M in 2019 with a cap number around $14.7M.... By cutting him, The Packers save the $11M, pickup around $3.5M in cap space an occur a $11M dead cap charge- so be it, they still pickup  $3.5M in cap space.

So, thanx for the memories, Nick. I appreciated you professionalism.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #249 on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »
Perry was good the one year he was healthy.  He was a strong, physical run defender, when healthy, and got some hustle/power sacks on occasion. 
Even as a rookie, it was evident he didn't really have the quickness to be special as a pass-rusher.  I recall a rookie game in Seattle, he got free and his straight-line speed in chasing straight-line open-field after Russell Wilson was very impressive for a man of his size and power.  But he wasn't very quick or shifty even then, and the years and the injuries haven't helped. 

Not sure what Gute will decide.  What's primarily at issue is the $3.5 cap space.  It's possible that if the medical reports are all favorable, that Gute will consider Perry to be a good gamble at $3.5.  For the same $3.5, will you get anybody else who's a better bet to make a positive impact?  I'm not sure that's super likely.  So, it's possible that even with the injury history, that Gute really will again decide that Perry is worth the $3.5 cap hit, and hope that he's healthy enough to make that pay. 

I would also note that the Packers have not seemed as strong against the run as was expected by many posters entering the season.  Partly scheme, partly personnel, partly injuries, partly ILB, etc..  But I do think that even if he doesn't do much for sacks, that when Perry is healthy, he's pretty good at sealing his edge against the run and compressing everything towards the middle.  A front with Perry, Wilkerson, Daniels, Clark, and Matthews all healthy might have been a pretty good 1st-down run front, or a good 4th-quarter-stop-the-run front. 

In other words, I think there's a good chance Gute lets Perry go to open up the $3.5 in cap, but it wouldn't shock me if he decided the possible value of Perry might be greater than the possible value of the $3.5 in discretionary cap.  As we saw this previous offseason, it's not like there are scads of high-quality OLB pass-rushers sitting on the market waiting for $3.5/1 deals!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
I really disagree with the last handful of posts... What's happening here, and it's so common on message boards, posters are pushing their agenda rather than analyzing the situation.

The facts say, Perry was a good reserve his first four years and a quality starter the two previous seasons. Heck, in 2016 he was outstanding!... So, to now classify him as a "big whiff" and "too big and slow for the passing game" is beyond silly.

The overwhelming issue with Perry is he just can't stay healthy. When healthy, he's a heck of a football player, but he can't stay healthy... So, I 100% agree it's time for a change.

He's owed around $11M in 2019 with a cap number around $14.7M.... By cutting him, The Packers save the $11M, pickup around $3.5M in cap space an occur a $11M dead cap charge- so be it, they still pickup  $3.5M in cap space.

Agree on Perry. The problem was he was only able to stay healthy for most of the season when he was in a contract year. This is a trap that occurs all too often. Just ask Washington about Albert Haynesworth(less). On the other hand, the Packers got rid of Hayward because he couldn't stay healthy. So he goes to San Diego and suddenly he's never injured. Go figure.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
If Perry were to be designated as a June 1st cut, I believe it becomes around $11.0 million in savings for the 2019 season, with just $3.7 million in dead money. Additionally, $7.4 million in dead money would go on the 2020 season's cap.

He has just under $5 million due in a roster bonus 3 days into the league year. You would think if he's going to be released, it's going to be before that bonus is paid out. I guess the drawback there is that you can't go through the free agency and draft process first and see where your OLB group stands.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
I see Q. Rollins signed today with the Cardinals and will be in uniform against the Packers this week.

And the Packers after the lose this past weekend, went out and got beer.
The Green Bay Packers signed T Gerhard de Beer to the practice squad today.

Offline PackerYakker

• All Pro
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
...On the other hand, the Packers got rid of Hayward because he couldn't stay healthy. So he goes to San Diego and suddenly he's never injured. Go figure.

Hayward played 16 games in three of his four seasons. He didn't miss a game in '14 or '15, his final two years in GB. He only missed time in '13, when he had a bad hamstring injury. Letting him walk in '16 wasn't some understandable move based on chronic unavailability. It was an inexplicable move based on either gross talent miscalculation or unseemly tightwaddery by Thompson.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »

Agree on Perry. The problem was he was only able to stay healthy for most of the season when he was in a contract year. This is a trap that occurs all too often. Just ask Washington about Albert Haynesworth(less). On the other hand, the Packers got rid of Hayward because he couldn't stay healthy. So he goes to San Diego and suddenly he's never injured. Go figure.

Donzo you are right on the money with most of that, but fan(atics) are not rational and are driven by emotion. Many Packers fans feel like the Packers personally wronged them. Those fans want people blamed for the Packers failing, they want scapegoats. The want for people to be fired is strong, not just fired, but they want blood on the walls for good measure. And smear it around also. Disappointment is high at this point in the season and the higher the disappointment, the higher the irrational takes go.

This is not some new phenomenon, this is every fanbase of every team of every sport. Just living up to the definition of fanatic.