September 15, 2019, 02:39:44 AM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 39253 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
Perry was good the one year he was healthy.  He was a strong, physical run defender, when healthy, and got some hustle/power sacks on occasion. 
Even as a rookie, it was evident he didn't really have the quickness to be special as a pass-rusher.  I recall a rookie game in Seattle, he got free and his straight-line speed in chasing straight-line open-field after Russell Wilson was very impressive for a man of his size and power.  But he wasn't very quick or shifty even then, and the years and the injuries haven't helped. 

Not sure what Gute will decide.  What's primarily at issue is the $3.5 cap space.  It's possible that if the medical reports are all favorable, that Gute will consider Perry to be a good gamble at $3.5.  For the same $3.5, will you get anybody else who's a better bet to make a positive impact?  I'm not sure that's super likely.  So, it's possible that even with the injury history, that Gute really will again decide that Perry is worth the $3.5 cap hit, and hope that he's healthy enough to make that pay. 

I would also note that the Packers have not seemed as strong against the run as was expected by many posters entering the season.  Partly scheme, partly personnel, partly injuries, partly ILB, etc..  But I do think that even if he doesn't do much for sacks, that when Perry is healthy, he's pretty good at sealing his edge against the run and compressing everything towards the middle.  A front with Perry, Wilkerson, Daniels, Clark, and Matthews all healthy might have been a pretty good 1st-down run front, or a good 4th-quarter-stop-the-run front. 

In other words, I think there's a good chance Gute lets Perry go to open up the $3.5 in cap, but it wouldn't shock me if he decided the possible value of Perry might be greater than the possible value of the $3.5 in discretionary cap.  As we saw this previous offseason, it's not like there are scads of high-quality OLB pass-rushers sitting on the market waiting for $3.5/1 deals!

Agree with all of this. I think a good case can be made either way with him. I am currently leaning that they keep him if his injury is not a long term issue. Would not surprise if they decided to part ways either. The front offices will weigh the options and in the end they will make the right decision.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Agree with all of this. I think a good case can be made either way with him. I am currently leaning that they keep him if his injury is not a long term issue. Would not surprise if they decided to part ways either. The front offices will weigh the options and in the end they will make the right decision.

The front office will indeed make a decision. And the team will live with it. If, as with Heyward, he flourishes elsewhere, we'll all bemoan the move. If they keep him and he has another injury plagued year, we'll all bemoan the move. If he's cut and disappears, we'll still bemoan "the failure of yet another #1 pick by TT". So, whatever happens, expect there to be a lot of bemoaning.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2018, 04:29:01 PM »

The front office will indeed make a decision. And the team will live with it. If, as with Heyward, he flourishes elsewhere, we'll all bemoan the move. If they keep him and he has another injury plagued year, we'll all bemoan the move. If he's cut and disappears, we'll still bemoan "the failure of yet another #1 pick by TT". So, whatever happens, expect there to be a lot of bemoaning.

If he goes elsewhere he will probably play DE in a 4-3. The position he wanted to play coming into the league
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/31826/discus-thrower-packs-on-80-pounds-to-make-nfl-run-with-bills

The Packers signed this guy to the practice squad.  The chances of him making the 53 next season are slim but it is a good story with a lot of bad jokes about beer

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
If he goes elsewhere he will probably play DE in a 4-3. The position he wanted to play coming into the league

If he goes elsewhere, it will all depend on whether he can stay healthy. If he does, he could still turn out to be a decent player- someone along the lines of Vonnie Holliday. 

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

Agree on Perry. The problem was he was only able to stay healthy for most of the season when he was in a contract year. This is a trap that occurs all too often. Just ask Washington about Albert Haynesworth(less).

If he goes elsewhere, it will all depend on whether he can stay healthy. If he does, he could still turn out to be a decent player- someone along the lines of Vonnie Holliday.

To simplify my reply, I consolidated a couple of your comments together into one post.

I don't see the Haynesworth comp... Haynseworth got a monster contract (an all time high DL contract) then quit on his team. Perry got a big contract, then got hurt, again... From what I know Perry is a good teammate and plays  hard when he's able, this is the exact opposite of what I know about Haynesworth.

For your second comment, if Perry could stay healthy he'd be a Green Bay Packer. A healthy Perry is also better than "decent". In 2016, a healthy Perry was a premier edge pass rusher and run stopper.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »
Donzo you are right on the mn't seen oney with most of that, but fan(atics) are not rational and are driven by emotion. Many Packers fans feel like the Packers personally wronged them. Those fans want people blamed for the Packers failing, they want scapegoats. The want for people to be fired is strong, not just fired, but they want blood on the walls for good measure. And smear it around also. Disappointment is high at this point in the season and the higher the disappointment, the higher the irrational takes go.

This is not some new phenomenon, this is every fanbase of every team of every sport. Just living up to the definition of fanatic.

Yep, it is what it is... But, it's only a portion of a fan base; and, it surely doesn't have to be tolerated by the rest of us.

On a different note, I haven't seen you comment on the HC situation. I'd like to see your take... I like MM, but I definitely think it's a time for a change... I was reminded by someone how Favre was rejuvenated when MM was hired. I can 100% see that happening with Rodgers.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
If Perry were to be designated as a June 1st cut, I believe it becomes around $11.0 million in savings for the 2019 season, with just $3.7 million in dead money. Additionally, $7.4 million in dead money would go on the 2020 season's cap.

He has just under $5 million due in a roster bonus 3 days into the league year. You would think if he's going to be released, it's going to be before that bonus is paid out. I guess the drawback there is that you can't go through the free agency and draft process first and see where your OLB group stands.

I believe the roster bonus ($5.5) is due in March, so there's no way the Packers should pay it (IMO).

With how cap space now rolls over year to year, I don't see a real need push the full cap hit off to 2020 anyway. Just by Cutting Perry, the Packers would have around $45M in space going into 2019 and he would be completely off the books going into 2020... I like that.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
I believe the roster bonus ($5.5) is due in March, so there's no way the Packers should pay it (IMO).

With how cap space now rolls over year to year, I don't see a real need push the full cap hit off to 2020 anyway. Just by Cutting Perry, the Packers would have around $45M in space going into 2019 and he would be completely off the books going into 2020... I like that.

OK, the Haynesworth comparison was not meant to be a one-on-one comparison, but an especially bad example of paying someone after an outstanding contract year. Which was also the only season he stayed on the field for the majority of the season. He gets paid, and I wouldn't be surprised he sprained his wrist signing the contract. Now the Packers are stuck with a guy who can't stay on the field, and disappears for long stretches when he is on the field. Yes, he was dominating for one year. But before and after, not so much. The idea is not to reward one good season, but to pay for sustained excellence. Perry never exhibited that, being a player who was inconsistent. If he was playing out of position, that is on the Packers (TT in particular). The bottom line is he can't stay healthy.

Now, as to when to cut him (not really a question of if, is it?), 2020 would be the optimal year as far as dead money is concerned. But, the thought of going into the contract year of several players who should definitely be re-signed and have the dead money off the books is very tempting. Here is Perry's contract, for your consideration.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/

Well, the Packers also added a safety today. Apparently he is a very good ST's addition (much needed).

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-sign-s-eddie-pleasant-release-lb-korey-toomer-320
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:30:47 PM by ricky »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »
Donzo you are right on the mn't seen oney with most of that, but fan(atics) are not rational and are driven by emotion. Many Packers fans feel like the Packers personally wronged them. Those fans want people blamed for the Packers failing, they want scapegoats. The want for people to be fired is strong, not just fired, but they want blood on the walls for good measure. And smear it around also. Disappointment is high at this point in the season and the higher the disappointment, the higher the irrational takes go.

This is not some new phenomenon, this is every fanbase of every team of every sport. Just living up to the definition of fanatic.

Yep, it is what it is... But, it's only a portion of a fan base; and, it surely doesn't have to be tolerated by the rest of us.

On a different note, I haven't seen you comment on the HC situation. I'd like to see your take... I like MM, but I definitely think it's a time for a change... I was reminded by someone how Favre was rejuvenated when MM was hired. I can 100% see that happening with Rodgers.

MM has been an excellent HC for the Packers, but I do believe the end is near for him in GB. I have stated this several times that I believe he is retiring after this season and that exit plan was put in motion last year with his signing a one year extension. No firing, it has been the plan all along.

For me I see parallels with MM's offense and Capers defense. In the NFL it doesn't matter how great something is if the other team knows what is coming on every play. That was the case with Capers and that is the case with MM. Being unpredictable and keeping the other team on their heels is the key to todays success, do something too long and people will figure out how to beat it. The Eagles took a new aggressive approach all the way to a SB victory last year and during the off season people were claiming how deep and talented their roster was, but they didn't change anything and in one off season teams have them lined out. Nobody is talking about them having the most talented roster in the NFL today. That has been Belichick's secret all along, one week he will run it 50 times and the next week he might run it twice. But he is the only one that has shown the ability to adjust long term and have the staying power. 

With MM some of his greatest strengths are also his greatest weaknesses. He is stubborn and hardheaded which lends to having an iron will, a good quality to be a leader of men. But it also has made him rigid and predictable. I believe teams can and do use his stubbornness against him. For me one consistent example is his use of timeouts before the half, I believe that other coaches have learned to slow-play MM when they have the ball and he will call timeouts for them. Many times giving them 6 timeouts in the last 2 minutes of the half. This practice of calling TO when the other team has the ball almost never works and most of the time leads to the other team scoring. MM's stubbornness has him painted in the corner of predictability and his pride and ego will not allow him to adjust.   

Most things have an expiration date and MM's is probably at the conclusion of this season.     

Offline LMG

• Administrator
  • HOF Member
    • Where are we?
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »

There is a thread on MM on going...please use for MM talk.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:14:27 AM by LMG »
If you are not the lead dog the view never changes.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »

Then stay tuned for the Nick Perry sequel:  Kevin King

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2018, 02:04:17 PM »
Then stay tuned for the Nick Perry sequel:  Kevin King

Heyward would be a more apt comparison. Both players showed they were good "when healthy". So, Heyward was let go and has been really good in SD. Now, if the Packers do keep King, hopefully there will be a relatively cheap "out" so if he continues to be injury prone, they can get out relatively cheaply.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
I think Kevin King can be our best CB, him and Alexander would be excellent as our duo.

I would not give up on him.  There really is not much he does not have.

In fact, I like our secondary.  I think its the  best  part of our defense.

Offline Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »
Daniel's just sent to IR. Maybe Kunerow can be activated now seeing as we are missing multiple receivers and now have another open roster spot.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."