December 10, 2018, 05:57:48 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 20776 times)

Offline skcusICH

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
Kevin King to IR.   New name: Kevin (The IR) King

Sounds a lot like what happened with Hayward. So, as long as we all agree that King should be cut because he can't stay healthy, and that he is expendable. And, of course, we won't backtrack and second guess this move if he plays well for someone else.

Casey Hayward had a Pro Bowl level rookie season, followed by a year 2 lost to hamstring problems. He never missed another game for the Packers after that, but also never returned to that Pro Bowl level play, partially because of having to share snaps with a supposed deep secondary. Then let walk in free agency with then promising 2nd year players Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins looking like a solid pairing with Sam Shields heading into the 2016 season and beyond. Obviously that didn't go as planned, but that's a different story.

Not sure how that compares to Kevin King who has 7 career pass breakups, 1 interception, and hasn't been able to stay on the field for more than a few game stretches at a time. I'm not writing off King, but he's really only shown small glimpses of being just an average NFL caliber CB at this point. If anything, I'd compare his early career injuries/success/failures to Nick Perry's.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:18 PM »
Perry, Datone, Sherrod, that's been kind of a Packers way with 1sts. 

One note relative to Hayward, at that time the Packers thought they were a good team and had other guys who seemed to be worth paying.  Not sure there will be the same level of talent and competition-for-finite dollars when King comes up? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
Packers signed G/T Adam Pankey from the practice squad and placed S Raven Greene on injured reserve.

Bulaga is probably a no-go for tomorrow.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2018, 05:22:29 PM »
Perry, Datone, Sherrod, that's been kind of a Packers way with 1sts. 

One note relative to Hayward, at that time the Packers thought they were a good team and had other guys who seemed to be worth paying.  Not sure there will be the same level of talent and competition-for-finite dollars when King comes up?

Or

Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Bulaga, Clark, Alexander, that has kind of been a Packers way with first. (Hawk should be added to that list, but the butterfly chasers wouldn't be able to think straight if he was listed.)

Or was it,

Buckley, Michels, Edwards, Reynolds, that was kind of the Packers way with first under Ron Wolf.

As an educator I believe you understand the importance of using all the data to help come to the correct conclusion.

As for Hayward, their are a whole lot of people with selective memories about keeping him or not.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »
RT, seems that when the Packers were hitting on their firsts, they were thriving. 
And when a lot of them haven't hit, they've thrived less! 

Rodgers,Hawk, Jordy, Harrell, Raji, Matthews, Bulaga, that was a 6-year run with 6 hits and Harrell as the only whiff.  6 hits in 6 years => success.  (Yeah, I'm consciously skewing it by including Jordy, their top selection in 08, even though they traded back into the early 2nd to get him.) 

The subsequent 5-year run with Perry and HaHa as the least unsuccessful picks kinda explains how things have gotten where they are now. 
2011   Derek Sherrod   OT   Mississippi State   
2012   28   Nick Perry   DE   Southern California   
2013   26   Datone Jones   DE   UCLA   
2014   21   Ha Ha Clinton-Dix #   S   Alabama   
2015   30   Damarious Randall

The recent three, with Clark-King-Jaire has a chance to go either way.  Jaire has a chance to be really good, but he's missed a lot of games this year, too.  If King and Jaire are injured all the time, that's not going to help.  If Jaire proves durable enough to play to his talent (which I love), AND if King is able to bounce back and be healthy enough to play a lot of full seasons to his talent (which I think is significant), that could be huge. 

Time will tell, I guess.  But we've got nothing but Perry, a 4th round Redskins pick, and Deshone Kizer left from first-rounds 2011-2015.  And with Matthews and Bulaga's contracts, it's not clear we're going to have any value future from the 2006-2010 first rounds going forward either. 

Pretty critical that we come out with a bunch of value from the 2016-2018 first picks.  King and Jaire seem kinda fragile to be super confident.