September 14, 2019, 11:02:13 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 39246 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #390 on: September 03, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
The #Packers have put TE Jace Sternberger on injured reserve with an ankle injury. He will be eligible to return in eight weeks if the Packers want him back.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #391 on: September 03, 2019, 02:35:59 PM »

Tom Silverstein

Verified account

@TomSilverstein
Follow
Follow @TomSilverstein

More
The #Packers have put TE Jace Sternberger on injured reserve with an ankle injury. He will be eligible to return in eight weeks if the Packers want him back.

Makes you wonder if they have any other options. Dont know if our cuts were picked up by others or not.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #392 on: September 03, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
They are moving Allen Lazard up from the Practice Squad.

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #393 on: September 03, 2019, 03:49:30 PM »
They are moving Allen Lazard up from the Practice Squad.

Well, there's the move lol
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #394 on: September 03, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
I thought maybe Baylis would be back if he wasnt claimed or signed yet.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
Per Rob Demovsky,

The Packers had the following players in for tryouts today: LB Joey Alfieri (Stanford). WR Trinity Benson (East Central). LB Gary Johnson (Texas). TE Scott Orndoff (Pitt). LB Gimel President (Illinois). G Malcolm Pridgeon (Ohio State). DT Cory Thomas (Mississippi State). RB Johnathan Thomas (Penn State). NT Jay-Tee Tiuli (Eastern Washington). QB Phillip Walker (Temple).

The Packers will probably sign one of these guys tomorrow to fill the empty spot on the PS.

Gutes does love the players from the south region that he use to personally scout. Early favorites would be Cory Thomas or Gary Johnson.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
Not sure I'm tracking, RT.  He brings in 10 guys, of which like 8 are not from the south, and you're using that to argue that he does love players from the South?  His first two draft picks were Big Ten guys, and three of these ten are Big Ten guys?  Might you not as well argue that he does love players from the Big Ten? 

You've perhaps articulated this before, but it hadn't occurred to me that he was particularly "South" oriented.  Do you see that in roster as whole?  FA signings?  Draft picks?  The kinds of UDFA that he brings in?  All of the above? 

How long has it been since he was the SEC-area scout?  6-8 years ago?  Are you thinking he's biased towards guys he actually scouted in college there?  Or that he's generally biased towards guys from that region, regardless of whether they played when he was the area scout there?  Or biased towards guys from that region because he maybe has long-term connections there, and perhaps can more easily get inside opiniongs that he trusts from coaches and stuff down there? 

Just curious...

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
It is more of a tongue in cheek comment than anything craig, something I don't seem to translate to the internet very well when I cannot get any of my emoji's to work.

Awhile back I did do a roster breakdown on players by region and their is a high number of players from that region compared to others. I believe you touched on the reasoning with your final question, it is probably because of longstanding relationships with people he trusts in that region. Just human nature to lean that way. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »
The fact that the Packers didn't sign anyone to the PS today leads me to believe they have a claim in for someone just released by another team.

Players just waived that may be of interest to the Packers might be EDGE Jordon Willis from the Bengals, WR Byron Pringle from the Chiefs, RB Jordon Chunn from the Cowboys, TE Brandon Dillon from the Vikings.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:19 PM »
...Awhile back I did do a roster breakdown on players by region and their is a high number of players from that region compared to others. ..

Thanks, RT.  I'm curious about this, actually.  I'm guessing that every team in the league is heavily populated with guys from southern colleges.  Was your thought that the Packers were more so? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:44 AM »
...Awhile back I did do a roster breakdown on players by region and their is a high number of players from that region compared to others. ..

Thanks, RT.  I'm curious about this, actually.  I'm guessing that every team in the league is heavily populated with guys from southern colleges.  Was your thought that the Packers were more so?

I do think it is more, but if a team is winning games it doesn't really matter where the players come from. A team could be made up of all Big 10 or all Big 12 players and if they win a SB it doesn't really matter. Commonsense might lead us to believe that if a team ignores some regions when exploring for talent that they are not maximizing the resources, but leaning on the region that is best known when feeling your way early in a career is understandable.   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #401 on: September 12, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
Heh heh, RT, this made me interested.  I'm not sure exactly what the definition of "South" is, but I'm including Texas and Missouri. 
So I just pulled up the division rosters, to compare.
Bears:  33
Lions:  26
Packers:  22
Vikings:  19 

So at first glance it doesn't look like the Packers are more Southern-oriented than normal. 

Having nine Big-Ten guys seemed unusually high.