October 15, 2019, 12:34:34 AM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 42657 times)

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2019, 04:22:45 AM »
Trevor Davis traded to the Raiders today

The signing of Tremon Smith made this move possible. He can return kicks, is faster, and apparently the Packers think he has more upside than Davis. Best wishes, and I hope he can find a niche on that evolving roster in Las Vegas.

My guess is that Tremon Smith will handle the KO returns and Darrius Shepard is healthy and ready to handle the punt returns from this point forward.

........... Shepherd was limited participation on Wednesday (hamstring), might be ready for the Broncos. Since I sort of canvassed for him to be on the final 53, I'd like to see how he does on ST. I'm not sure who the ST gunner is now. It might be Smith (5'11", 190lb, sub 4.4 40 time) because he is lots faster than Shepherd (4.57 40)
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2019, 06:49:34 AM »

My guess is that Tremon Smith will handle the KO returns and Darrius Shepard is healthy and ready to handle the punt returns from this point forward.

........... Shepherd was limited participation on Wednesday (hamstring), might be ready for the Broncos. Since I sort of canvassed for him to be on the final 53, I'd like to see how he does on ST. I'm not sure who the ST gunner is now. It might be Smith (5'11", 190lb, sub 4.4 40 time) because he is lots faster than Shepherd (4.57 40)
[/quote]

Why not put them both on the field? As the old saying goes, "Speed kills."
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #422 on: September 19, 2019, 07:32:33 AM »
The TWO gunners on punt coverage will come from the group of Will Redmond, Tony Brown, Tremon Smith, Chandon Sullivan, Allan Lazard and maybe even Jake Kumerow. Darrius Shepherd will not be used as a gunner.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #423 on: September 19, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
I'm really surprised, and kinda disappointed.  Given how many bad-hands guys the Packers have (MVS isn't much of a hands guy, and Adams really isn't that hot either on difficult or downfield catches), I'd been intrigued by some of the comments that Davis makes all kinds of really-difficult catches, and I'd thought the new offense might have a place for somebody a little quicker rather than the kinda-easy-to-cover straight-line non-shifty MVS/ESB types. 

O well.

I can't really imagine slow Shepherd is going to be a primary return guy.   

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #424 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:31 PM »
If Smith filled Green's roster spot when he went on IR, who did the pack move on to the roster?

Offline packlaw

• Starter
« Reply #425 on: September 19, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Got it, TE Baylis called up cause Graham is hurting according to Acme Packing

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #426 on: September 19, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »

Baylis looks like a punisher. Get him a shallow crosser when the wide outs take the secondary deep and he can do some damage with a full head of steam.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2019, 09:14:40 PM »

Baylis looks like a punisher. Get him a shallow crosser when the wide outs take the secondary deep and he can do some damage with a full head of steam.

Is he an effective blocker on the line?

Online Shinesman

• HOF Member
« Reply #428 on: September 20, 2019, 01:40:20 AM »

Didnt see much of him in preseason other than the TD catch. But he is a massive human, so it's possible if he had any worthwhile coaching.
"Tradition! Just because we've always done it that way, doesn't mean that it isn't incredibly stupid."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2019, 04:12:45 AM »

An undrafted free agent from Oregon, Baylis (6-5, 250) proved to be a capable blocker in Matt LaFleur’s offense during the preseason. He also caught three passes for 23 yards a touchdown pass over four games.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/19/packers-promote-te-evan-baylis-from-practice-squad-to-active-roster/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:13:49 AM by dannobanano »

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
This is not the right threat, but of those currently semi-active, I thought it a best fit.  I finally listened to Rodgers post-game presser.  He had several interesting or surprising comments.  Basically very positive about MLF and optimism about the MLF offense.  A couple of times commented on needing to look to get Graham the ball and involved, and to get downfield to MVS and get him more involved.  Graham not 100% plus a week of film study may change that, but Rodgers seems pretty conscious and intentional about that, so I expect some attempts, for better or for worse.  not a mindset of "whoever is open". 

But, the real observation and reason I'm placing this note in "transactions" is about clubhouse chemistry/dynamics.  Question was about the Smiths, and Rodgers was really positive about the energy that they bring. His comments suggested that the clubhouse chemistry is much better this year, more energy and camaraderie.  Obviously 2-0 helps that, but seemed to think that Smiths and Amos really help; Graham and Lewis; Turner; 2nd-year-guys getting more comfortable (Jaire is obviously a very big and upbeat, high-energy personality for sure).  Most surprising to me, he used the word "cancer" or "cancers", in the past tense.  That's the kind of thing that chat-board posters use, but I've maybe never ever heart a player say that on camera.  So I was really surprised.  And he was really complementary of Gute in the guys he's brought in. 

I was just really surprised.  I know that every work environment is impacted by personalities and chemistry.  And I've had the feeling the Packers haven't always had the greatest chemistry in some semi-recent seasons.  Not super a believer that personality necessarily wins; I totally believe that the best source of great chemistry is winning!  Lots easier to get buy-in when you're winning.    (I also remember the mighty Chicago Bulls during the Jordan/Rodman years; not sure any kind of off-court chemistry or camaraderie, but the on-court team was awesome.) 

Anyway, interesting that Rodgers seems to be so positive about the attitudinal stuff and the atmosphere within the team.  And perhaps so straightforward that it maybe hasn't always been that great.   

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2019, 08:46:33 AM »
Yikes, poor Lane Taylor injured so badly that they're putting him on IR.  Bummer, bummer, bummer. 

Goodbye depth. 

Pankey signed to roster.

I was really hopeful to get through the season with a healthy line, and to have an extra guy for contingency needs at any of the inside spots.  Now only two weeks in, Bakhtiari is already playing crippled, and Taylor is all the way gone.  Bummer, bummer, bummer. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2019, 04:45:33 PM »
Yikes, poor Lane Taylor injured so badly that they're putting him on IR.  Bummer, bummer, bummer. 

Goodbye depth. 

Pankey signed to roster.

I was really hopeful to get through the season with a healthy line, and to have an extra guy for contingency needs at any of the inside spots.  Now only two weeks in, Bakhtiari is already playing crippled, and Taylor is all the way gone.  Bummer, bummer, bummer.

This kind of thing is never pleasant, but should always be expected. This is where coaching and team solidarity come into play. Remember that Holmgren always had that "Next man up!" mentality. No excuses, just do the job. This will definitely test the mettle of the team. Good teams will survive and thrive. Bad teams will use excuses. Recall, there was a lot of talk on here about replacing Taylor with Jenkins, and a lot of complaints about Taylor's level of play. Well, we got what we wanted, though not in the way we had hoped.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #433 on: October 02, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Packers have added OLB Tim Williams, who was released by the Ravens

The third year player from Alabama was a 3rd round pick by BALT in 2017.

No word yet on who the released to make room for Williams

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2019, 01:44:57 PM »
The Packers have claimed Edge player Tim Williams off waivers from the Ravens. Coming out of college Williams was viewed as a 1st round talent with tons of off the field issues. It would be interesting to know why the Ravens cut him.