August 19, 2018, 05:39:06 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 8754 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
The Green Bay Packers signed T/G Byron Bell and released T/G Jacob Alsadek.

And now we know the rest of the story.

Betting their is a story behind the waiving of Alsadek, he had to have done something stupid to get the boot after 3 days of OTA's. Remember, according to Rob Demovsky's article on UDFA signing bonuses, Alsadek was tied for the highest bonus paidout by the Packers to a UDFA this year. 

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »
Betting their is a story behind the waiving of Alsadek, he had to have done something stupid to get the boot after 3 days of OTA's. Remember, according to Rob Demovsky's article on UDFA signing bonuses, Alsadek was tied for the highest bonus paidout by the Packers to a UDFA this year.

Maybe. Or else they just saw more in other players who were with the team last year. Though why they didn't dump a TE, as you suggested, seems odd. They seem pretty at TE, with the top three spots probably going to Graham, Lewis and Kendricks. Maybe someone takes Kendricks spot, but a top receiver/matchup nightmare, an excellent blocker and a good vet seems to be the most likely combo. I saw Alsadek was 6'7", so maybe he was unable to get the "bend" so his pad level was not acceptable. That is written with a sly grin, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Just spotted this at PFT, so here is another opinion about the reason for signing Bell. After all, Bulaga does have an extensive injury history, and why shouldn't the Packers have Plan B ready to go in case he gets hurt again? Could be that at the end of the season, we'll be saying the Packers OL was "Saved by the Bell".  ;D

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/addition-of-veteran-tackle-raises-question-about-bryan-bulagas-timeline/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:57:34 AM by ricky »
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »

Maybe. Or else they just saw more in other players who were with the team last year. Though why they didn't dump a TE, as you suggested, seems odd. They seem pretty at TE, with the top three spots probably going to Graham, Lewis and Kendricks. Maybe someone takes Kendricks spot, but a top receiver/matchup nightmare, an excellent blocker and a good vet seems to be the most likely combo. I saw Alsadek was 6'7", so maybe he was unable to get the "bend" so his pad level was not acceptable. That is written with a sly grin, tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Just spotted this at PFT, so here is another opinion about the reason for signing Bell. After all, Bulaga does have an extensive injury history, and why shouldn't the Packers have Plan B ready to go in case he gets hurt again? Could be that at the end of the season, we'll be saying the Packers OL was "Saved by the Bell".  ;D

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/addition-of-veteran-tackle-raises-question-about-bryan-bulagas-timeline/

Signing Bell reminds me of the Bruce Wilkerson signing back in the 1996 Super Bowl year.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »

Signing Bell reminds me of the Bruce Wilkerson signing back in the 1996 Super Bowl year.

Only time will tell us danno, that is a very optimistic outlook.

I was thinking that Duke Preston in 2009 or Reggie Wells in 2012 were probably good comparables, but they were not as good of outcomes as Wilkerson was.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
Bell is 29, a year older than Goodson, and has been viewed as anti-awful enough to be given 74 NFL starts.  Not sure if he's injured or something, but if not a 74-start guy in his 20's seems like reasonable competition for a roster spot.  On the anti-awful spectrum, perhaps he'll come out a little more favorably than the UDFA lineman from Arizona, even if it cost them $5K. 

No cost, no problem if younger guys look better and he gets cut.  But seems like a reasonable move to add some competition and perhaps some anti-awful insurance. 

Hopefully Bulaga is ready; Murphy and Spriggs are both healthy enough to be full-go in camp; spriggs is stronger and looks like a rising guy; and Bell gets cut because the young guys look good, not because Bell looks any more awful than what the Packers saw on his tape. 

But in the event Bulaga isn't full-go, and that Spriggs who wasn't full-go last week maybe still isn't in July, bringing in a 29-year-old 74-game starter at minimum wage seems like a reasonable way to build more competition on the 90-man roster.  May never see a snap for Green Bay, but maybe come September we'll be glad they gave him a look. 

Contingency planning.   

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2018, 05:05:56 AM »
That sums up the situation well craig. The positives are many and you touched on most of them, always good to have a plan B ready to be put in motion. I would guess this move is mostly about the health at RT and not wanting to over stress the players coming off injuries with too many reps in training camp. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

Marcedes Lewis deal with the Packers is for one year and $2.1 million. It contained a $500,000 signing bonus and also has a $500,000 roster bonus if if he's on the 53 for the opener. Base salary is $1.05 million, And there's a $50,000 workout bonus. Not bad money for a guy who was signed in late May.

That is a large signing bonus for a guy who really had no other team interested in him. Surprising.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
I read that Spriggs, running with the #1's, was struggling badly with a brace on his knee.

The Bell addition, as has been stated here, is likely insurance /plan B in case Spriggs flames out and Bulaga ends up on PUP.

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »
Do we know he had no other interest?   He signed the same time the Chargers lost Hunter Henry to a torn ACL and it's known the Cowboys are looking for help at TE.  I'm sure other teams are in the hunt as well.   They might have had to pay a little premium just to ensure they got the blocking TE they needed but $2.1 doesn't seem out-of-line when reviewing NFL cap #'s

These are the cap hits for the top 3 TE's this year according to Spotrac:    Just a shade over $10.24 mil seems a reasonable sum for three vet TE's, each with complementary strengths.

Jimmy Graham 2018 Cap - 5,916,666   #14 NFL 2018 Cap Hit
Lance Kendricks 2018 Cap - 2,225,000  #33 NFL
Mercedes Lewis 2018 Cap - 2,100,000   #35 NFL

It looked like most of the players below Lewis on the list were still on rookie contracts

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »
Field Yates

Verified account

@FieldYates
Follow Follow @FieldYates
More
New Packers OT Byron Bell's contract:
$500,000 signing bonus
$850,000 base salary
$362,000 in current bonuses/incentives
Cap charge of $1.712M

Those numbers suggest he is going to be on the roster come opening day, they don't handout 500k signing bonuses to camp bodies. That makes just short of 4M paid out this week to very marginal players. Keep foolishly paying marginal players that are just looking to collect on
one more contract before they ride off into the sunset and in time it will cost them the ability to sign a core player to a second contract. 

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
The Lewis signing I can get behind.  We probably overpaid him a bit but he was much needed.  OK with that.  The Bell signing seems a little rich.  Thought maybe vet minimum or just over.  Apparently they are somewhat high on him.  Clay abused him like a rag doll.  Hopefully they can get his technique straightened out.  Take a wait and see but this one is a bit of a head scratcher.  Thought we could get by with Spriggs or Murphy until BB returns. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
I hope not, but the Packers may be closing in on cutting Bulaga.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
I hope not, but the Packers may be closing in on cutting Bulaga.

If Sitton and Lang were expendable, and they were a lot more healthy, then Bulaga could well be on the chopping block. This is a cold blooded business, and it well could be time to move ahead with a new RT. But, first Bulaga has to get healthy, because the Packers don't need to try to come to an injury settlement.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2018, 01:11:24 PM »
I read that Spriggs, running with the #1's, was struggling badly with a brace on his knee. ...

ugh, ugh, ugh...  That's not good.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
I read that Spriggs, running with the #1's, was struggling badly with a brace on his knee. ...

ugh, ugh, ugh...  That's not good.

Training camp is almost two months away. There is sufficient time for Spriggs to be fully functional at that time. Besides, with Bell and the returning guys who got playing time last year, everything should be copacetic. And this TC should be very, very competetive. There are going to be some tough cuts coming up for the Packers.