September 25, 2018, 09:24:47 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 11754 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
The Packers have signed RB Bronson Hill. The transaction was announced Sunday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

Hill, a 5-foot-11, 221-pound first-year player, originally signed with the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent from Eastern Michigan on Aug. 7, 2015. After being waived by the Bills following training camp, he spent time on the practice squads of the Chicago Bears, Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints in 2015. Hill was signed by the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2016 offseason, but was released after training camp. He spent most of the 2016 regular season on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad before being elevated to the Jaguars’ active roster, where he played in three games. Hill was released by Jacksonville during the 2017 offseason and signed with the Minnesota Vikings during training camp. He was released by the Vikings after camp, but spent a couple months on Minnesota’s practice squad. Hill was signed to the Arizona Cardinals’ practice squad in late November 2017 and spent time on the Cardinals’ active roster, appearing in two games. He was released by Arizona on May 10. Hill will wear No. 36 for the Packers.

I don't know if I have ever seen a more perfect example of a campbody. This makes two camp RB's added in the last two days, I think it is safe to say that Williams with his ankle injury is probably shutdown for the remainder of the preseason.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
With Montgomery still appearing to be a pretty vulnerable blocker, and with all three of the sophomore running backs injured or suspended, I'd really be asking my scouts to be pouring over the tape for potential waiver-cuts from other teams.     

Of all the positions, I think RB is the most permissive for guys unfamiliar-with-playbook.  Avoid getting tackled and run to the holes; pick up anybody who's blitzing.  I know that's oversimplifying, but I think RB may be a spot where talent trumps system-experience. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
With Montgomery still appearing to be a pretty vulnerable blocker, and with all three of the sophomore running backs injured or suspended, I'd really be asking my scouts to be pouring over the tape for potential waiver-cuts from other teams.     

Of all the positions, I think RB is the most permissive for guys unfamiliar-with-playbook.  Avoid getting tackled and run to the holes; pick up anybody who's blitzing.  I know that's oversimplifying, but I think RB may be a spot where talent trumps system-experience.

......As shown by how often rookie RBs can do well, compared to, for example, rookie WRs or TEs or QBs or DTs, in fact most other positions.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »
Rob Demovsky

Verified account

Cornerback Quinten Rollins and running back Devante Mays both were released from injured reserve on Monday, meaning they reached injury settlements with the Packers, a source said. It opens the door for them to play again later this season, either in Green Bay or elsewhere. They were waived injured on the final camp cutdowns and after going unclaimed, they reverted back to injured reserve.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2018, 01:44:13 PM »
Michael Cohen

Verified account

@Michael_Cohen13
Follow Follow @Michael_Cohen13
More
#Packers announce the following roster moves:

- WR Trevor Davis (hamstring) placed on IR
- CB Deante Burton claimed off waivers from Atlanta
- CB Will Redmond signed to the practice squad
- S Marwin Evans released from the practice squad

Interesting that they seem to have moved on from Herb Waters with the addition of 3 CB's in the past week.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:47:06 PM by RT »

Offline ThatGuy284

• HOF Member
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
Still no additional help at OLB...

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2018, 04:01:55 PM »
Michael Cohen

Verified account

@Michael_Cohen13
Follow Follow @Michael_Cohen13
More
#Packers announce the following roster moves:

- WR Trevor Davis (hamstring) placed on IR
- CB Deante Burton claimed off waivers from Atlanta
- CB Will Redmond signed to the practice squad
- S Marwin Evans released from the practice squad

Interesting that they seem to have moved on from Herb Waters with the addition of 3 CB's in the past week.

Tough break for Davis.  I wonder if Burton can return?  Burton is of the Water style:  an ex-WR who converted to CB in PS.  Redmond was a 3rd round pick that got injured badly, and was quickly released by San Fran and then KC. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2018, 06:03:28 AM »
I could find no history of Burton ever returning punts or kickoffs craig, but he has blocked a punt in college and recorded tackles on ST's also. Hard to say how long he will be around, is he here for the season or is he just around for a looksee and is gone next week when Jones comes back? Hard to say, probably yet to be determined.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2018, 02:29:09 PM »
The Raiders Waived DE/LB Shilique Calhoun today. He may well be a player of interest to the Packers, would not be surprised if they drop a claim for him tomorrow. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2018, 04:05:55 PM »
The Raiders Waived DE/LB Shilique Calhoun today. He may well be a player of interest to the Packers, would not be surprised if they drop a claim for him tomorrow.

Absolutely!

Earlier, I was even in favor of offering a latter round draft pick for him.

Good catch RT!!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »
Thanks danno, but the more I dig on him the less I like him. Thought he might be an option for the Packers coming out of college as a 3rd or 4th rounder, but Oakland grabbed him early in the 3rd and that was the end of that. Watched him against the Packers in the preseason and he had a sack and a couple of tackles for losses which may well be the only signs of life he has shown as a professional. In his pro career he has a half a sack and has been mostly a complete bust.

The measurables are there in his corner. Did he just need a wakeup call that he is no longer on scholarship? Is he a latebloomer that just needed a few years to figure it out? Or is the pro game just to big for him? Packers fans complain about Fackrell, but this guy was drafted ahead of him in the 3rd round that year and gave the Raiders nothing in return. The Packers may kick the tires on potential here, but not sure he is the answer to anything.   

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »
Any NFL player who is on the PS or on the 50th spot or lower on the roster probably should rent by the week, rather than sign a longer term lease.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
Thanks danno, but the more I dig on him the less I like him. Thought he might be an option for the Packers coming out of college as a 3rd or 4th rounder, but Oakland grabbed him early in the 3rd and that was the end of that. Watched him against the Packers in the preseason and he had a sack and a couple of tackles for losses which may well be the only signs of life he has shown as a professional. In his pro career he has a half a sack and has been mostly a complete bust.

The measurables are there in his corner. Did he just need a wakeup call that he is no longer on scholarship? Is he a latebloomer that just needed a few years to figure it out? Or is the pro game just to big for him? Packers fans complain about Fackrell, but this guy was drafted ahead of him in the 3rd round that year and gave the Raiders nothing in return. The Packers may kick the tires on potential here, but not sure he is the answer to anything.

I know one of the knocks on him was that he played too soft/lacked aggression................even though he was a 2-time All American.

Like you said............maybe this is a wake-up call for him. Couldn't hurt to at least kick the tires.

Either Calhoun or Simon.

There are options out there to add a player that's maybe better, or at least no worse, than Fackrell to a position that is precariously thin on talent.

Or are they sitting on Donnerson, like they did with Gilbert, and may bring him up at some point in the season if an injury happens?

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2018, 09:05:28 PM »
The Simon neck injury history has teams shying away from bring him on to a 53, probably remains unsigned until most well all other options dry up.

Offline mtsportsfan

• All Pro
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2018, 07:10:05 AM »
Not sure how this works, but isn't there a time period early in the season that you can sign a player and it not be guaranteed or guaranteed?