November 15, 2018, 11:21:40 PM

Author Topic: Packers transactions  (Read 17496 times)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
Re: Packers transactions
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
I think that MVS has taken ownership of that speed guy from the slot and on the outside.

Ya know, teams are allowed to have more than one fast WR...  8)

Really do like the speed and athleticism of the current WR corp. The best it's been in many years.

That was silly of me, you can never have too many speedy WR's. Just one of those things that can't be taught.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #226 on: November 07, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
Follow Follow @AdamSchefter
More
Busy day for Browns, who claimed CB Phillip Gaines and S Jermaine Whitehead on waivers, per source.

Browns connection strikes again.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #227 on: November 07, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
While that's true, RT, still it's evident that for the Rams game and the first half in New England, the Packers coaches liked Whitehead enough better than a bunch of other CB's and DB's to play Whitehead almost every snap. 

Puzzling why for 6 quarters they like the guy enough to play him ahead of 4-5 other DB's; then yesterday they don't like him enough to keep him on the roster.  Drop from 5th to 11th just like that?  Certainly it's unusual! 

Perhaps some off-field stuff again, rather than strictly performance-based, as with Randall?
Or perhaps two losses is changing Gute's approach?  When totally Nowacrat, maybe smart Whitehead would play ahead of Jones and Jackson and Greene.  But perhaps with two more losses on the books and a losing record, Gute is shifting towards a more Buildican perspective, and wants to look more at the younger guys?   

Could be a little of all those things craig. Maybe their really isn't much difference between 5th and 11th (something I truely believe is the case on almost all teams).

You may remember that Whitehead was the one who was stopped at 4AM on a highway between Milwaukee and GB doing 110 MPH with 3 of his teamates in the car.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/packers-speeding-jermaine-whitehead-110-70-otas/f6t1ovyq7w4i1wr3oqr8ypyfd

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
I hadn't remembered that, until you reminded.  Yeah, maybe getting ejected could be part of a larger issue with responsibility/professionalism/self-discipline.  Who knows. 

But yeah, your point that the space between 5th and 11th may be pretty negligible is also well taken. 

Certainly there might be guys who were behind him on the Nowacrat playing ladder who would be more valued on the long-term Buildican ladder.  He was getting more snaps than Jackson or Jones; certainly Jackson would have more long-term value.  And perhaps they still hope that Jones will become able to cover and make decisions someday. 

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2018, 05:21:09 AM »
That was silly of me, you can never have too many speedy WR's. Just one of those things that can't be taught.

Oh ya, it wasn't silly, it was clear what you really meant... I was just messin' around.

On the Whitehead discussion... Another narrative out there, and it was mentioned in the papers, is whitehead was kinda exposed when he received extended playing time... He made some splash plays as a part timer, but showed to be ineffective with extended playing time.

So, maybe wanting a long term upgrade played a big part in his release. Add in the other recent issues and Gute probably thought why not just get rid of him now?!?

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
I think Gute is sending a message here.  You can't be a knucklehead off the field and get ejected on the field.  You can be professional here or be stupid somewhere else.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:19:44 AM by The GM »

Online packdaddy

• HOF Member
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
I think Gute is sending a message here.  You can't be a knucklehead off the field and get ejected on the field.  You can be professional here or be stupid somewhere else.

Well, you can be if you're productive. And that's the thing about the guys recently jettisoned: their productivity did not trump their issues.

Next, look for Gute to begin doing the same to guys who don't have issues, but aren't living up to their contacts. Maybe sooner rather than later if we keep losing.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
According to the NFL transaction wire the Packers released NT Deon Simon from the PS, yet none of the low-hanging fruit pickers that are the beat reporters for the Packers have reported it.

This leave one empty spot on the PS and also the regular 53 man roster still one short. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #233 on: Today at 01:25:50 PM »
Verified account

@RobDemovsky
Follow
Follow @RobDemovsky

More
The Packers will have kick returner Trevor Davis available tonight against the Seahawks. He was added to the roster off injured reserve. They brought him back to practice last week after his hamstring injury before the opener.

This is a positive for the return game, but also a concern that he hasn't taken a live hit in 2 months. Hopefully their are no turnovers this evening.

Davis was one of only three players in the league to rank in the top 10 in the NFL in both punt-return average (No. 2, 12.2 yards) and kickoff-return average (No. 9, 22.7 yards) from 2016-17, according to the Packers.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:26:57 PM by RT »